PHP-NUKE to phpBB3 Convertor 1.2

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Ideas Centre
mwrycraft

Re: PHP-NUKE to phpBB3 Convertor 1.2

Post by mwrycraft » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Success (in the most part!)

After reviewing the whole thread, I saw that a similar issue had been reported in the past - with a certain post, so I went to the new phpbb DB, indentified the last post written, then went to the original forum and deleted that post/thread. That allowed the conversion to continue. I will probably do this test a couple of times document all the dodgy posts before doing the import for real.

It's worth noting that one obvious omission is that peoples avatars no longer work. Any suggestions?

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm

mwrycraft wrote:I doublechecked, and though It seems they are both version 1.2, the link you posted are to files that I noticed were a couple of days 'newer'.
Where did you get the version with the older files?
mwrycraft wrote:It's worth noting that one obvious omission is that peoples avatars no longer work. Any suggestions?
  • The most common cause is that avatars and/or uploaded avatars are not set as allowed in the phpBB configuration. You can set these in the phpBB3 Administration Control Panel.
  • Are the user_avatar fields in the users table being populated?
  • The user_avatar_type filed should have a 1 for uploaded avatars.
  • Are the avatars being copied to the phpBB3 images/avatars/upload folder?
    If the avatars are being copied, make a note of the filenames of the avatars. The filenames are in the format of: id underscore user_id. The id(long string of characters) before the underscore needs to match the avatar_salt in the phpBB3 config table.
    If the files do not exist, they may not exist in the PHP-Nuke avatar folder, although you should have received an error message while converting that they do not exist.
Have you hugged someone today?

mwrycraft

Post by mwrycraft » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:57 am

I picked it up from the Project Home Page link in the first post in this thread: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 5#p3568405

Further down I note that you've editted that post to change the download link in the text though. I'm guessing it's not possible to change the file on the project page though?

You're right about the avatars! :) By default avatars are disabled on the new phpbb board - once enabled everything worked fine. Thanks again!!

ukchi3f

Post by ukchi3f » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi all
Loads of question here and I cant quite find one that matches our scenario.

We are running phpbb 3.09 with joomla as a seperate homepage at the moment.
We are in the process of switching to php nuke which has the default phpbb v2.0.21

Our 3.0 forum has been used a bit and we would like to either port all the threads etc over to the old v2.0.21

or preferred option of upgrading v2.0.21 to 3.09 within php nuke
Main reason is keeping the theme all the same but also not wanting to lose all the posts and threads

Really appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:18 pm

ukchi3f wrote:Hi all
Loads of question here and I cant quite find one that matches our scenario.

We are running phpbb 3.09 with joomla as a seperate homepage at the moment.
We are in the process of switching to php nuke which has the default phpbb v2.0.21

Our 3.0 forum has been used a bit and we would like to either port all the threads etc over to the old v2.0.21
You can't go backwards. No one has written a script to do this as far as I know.
ukchi3f wrote:or preferred option of upgrading v2.0.21 to 3.09 within php nuke
Main reason is keeping the theme all the same but also not wanting to lose all the posts and threads
There were a couple of attempts at bridging phpBB3 with PHP-Nuke, but they have been pulled from the internet. I did find this, phpbb3 forum module for nuke script. It is best to ask about this at the Evolution Xtreme site. phpbb.com does not support any Nuke version or integrating phpBB3 with any Nuke boards.

There was also phpBB-Evolution.com but that seems to be dormant now.

ukchi3f

Post by ukchi3f » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:44 pm

D¡cky wrote:
ukchi3f wrote:There were a couple of attempts at bridging phpBB3 with PHP-Nuke, but they have been pulled from the internet. I did find this, phpbb3 forum module for nuke script. It is best to ask about this at the Evolution Xtreme site. phpbb.com does not support any Nuke version or integrating phpBB3 with any Nuke boards.

There was also phpBB-Evolution.com but that seems to be dormant now.
Thanks for the quick response really appreciate it.
So would it be best to use nuke and re-direct the forum as links to phpbb 3.09?

Or should we use a different content management system altogether? (sorry a bit off topic the last one)

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:14 pm

ukchi3f wrote:So would it be best to use nuke and re-direct the forum as links to phpbb 3.09?

Or should we use a different content management system altogether?
It is entirely up to you what you do. I can't comment on the best way to set up your board. You can certainly run phpBB3 separately and have a link from your CMS to phpBB3.

As for other CMS's, you could have a look at bridging Joomla! with phpBB3 using Rokbridge.

Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 pm

i believe ravennuke has a bridge for phpBB3 if your wanting a cms you may want to check them out

oarie

Post by oarie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:00 pm

I've got a Nuke-Evolution 2.0.7 site that I'm trying to convert to phpbb3 with this script and it keeps failing on step 17. I get no errors in the apache error log nor the browser window running the script so I'm not sure what the problem is. All I get is a -1 byte page during conversion step 17 in Firefox or if I use IE I get a page cannot be displayed error. Has anyone else encountered this? I read this entire topic and someone else did mention the script failing during the same step but I do not see any resolution so I expect they either gave up or figured it out but did not post their resolution. :roll:

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:09 am

oarie,

It could be a couple of things. It could be that the server becomes overloaded and times out. If it is stopping while converting the posts and stops at the same place every time, it could be that you have some very large posts or a post with a long unbroken string of characters.

Try this first:
Open phpbb3/install/install_convert.php

Find:

Code: Select all

<?php
/**
* @package install
* @version $Id$
* @copyright (c) 2006 phpBB Group
* @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License
*/

/**
*/
After add:

Code: Select all

@set_time_limit(0);
@ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
@ini_set('upload_max_filesize', '128M');
@ini_set('post_max_size', '256M');
@ini_set('max_input_time', '-1');
@ini_set('max_execution_time', '-1');
@ini_set('expect.timeout', '-1');
@ini_set('default_socket_timeout', '-1');
If the convertor stops while doing the posts and seems to stop at the same place every time, then you probably have a post with a long unbroken string of characters. To find the post that may be causing the problem:

1) Run the convertor until it stops
2) Open install/install_convert.php
3) Change the batch_size to 1000
4) Run the convertor again until it stops
5) Change the batch_size in install_convert.php to 500
6) Run the convertor again until it stops
7) Change the batch_size in install_convert.php to 100
8) Run the convertor again until it stops
9) Change the batch_size in install_convert.php to 10
10) Change num_wait_row to 1
11) Run the convertor again until it stops
12) Change the batch_size in install_convert.php to 1
13) Run the convertor again until it stops
14) Look in the phpBB3 phpbb_posts table and make a note of the last post entered.
15) Look in the Nuke posts_text table and find the post that was last entered into phpBB.
16) Look at the next 1 or 2 posts (you may want to sort the posts_text table by post_id) and see if there is a post with a long unbroken string of characters.
17) If there is a post with a long unbroken string of characters, edit the post to remove the long string.
18) Change the batch_size back to 2000.
19) Change the num_wait_rows back to 20
20) Continue with the conversion by refreshing the page or going to install/index.php?mode=convert and choosing "Continue with previously started conversion.

oarie

Post by oarie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:29 am

Thank you. This got me through the conversion. It appears I may have had multiple problems all of which your instructions corrected so thank you very much for that. I have around 34,000 users and 800,000+ posts and with the recommendations you gave me, from what I can tell so far everything is working flawlessly.

We are going to do some testing on the converted site and then we are going to implement it more permanently.

Thanks again.

mwrycraft

Post by mwrycraft » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Hiya

After testing this locally and it working I'm now trying to do it on my live site and it's getting stuck at 'table 26' and presenting the following error:

Filling tables
Filling table phpbb_users:
skip_rows = 20178:
Installation error
functions_nuke.php [ 1228 ]:
Post ID: Message parser error:

Your message contains too few characters.

Any ideas? As a reminder I've done this fine locally.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:37 pm

mwrycraft wrote:Hiya

After testing this locally and it working I'm now trying to do it on my live site and it's getting stuck at 'table 26' and presenting the following error:

Filling tables
Filling table phpbb_users:
skip_rows = 20178:
Installation error
functions_nuke.php [ 1228 ]:
Post ID: Message parser error:

Your message contains too few characters.

Any ideas? As a reminder I've done this fine locally.
That is very odd. The convertor does not stop because "the message contains too few characters", which is actually the signature.
I suspect a signature with too many smilies or a long unbroken string. Use the same procedure that you used for checking posts to check signatures.

I can't explain why it happens on your server and not locally. It is probably due to different server configurations.

mwrycraft

Post by mwrycraft » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for replying mate. Appreciated.

Pardis
Translator

Post by Pardis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Can php Nuke 8.3 convert by this convertor?

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”