[CONVERT] Proboards to phpBB3 Converter

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Suggested Hosts
nneonneo

[CONVERT] Proboards to phpBB3 Converter

Post by nneonneo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 am

Due to a request by Proboards Support, this converter is no longer available.

I've written a converter from Proboards to phpBB3. You will need to use the script http://www.startrekguide.com/community/ ... 648#p47648 to complete the conversion.

Converters to SMF and phpBB2 are also included, because they were removed from the Crawlers Converter topic due to attachment size restrictions.

Known bugs/caveats:
- No polls
- No attachments
- Only "admin" gets any admin privileges or status
- Needs above script to complete conversion

Note that this converter has been re-uploaded several times. Thus, the download count may not be accurate. As of time of writing, it has been downloaded about 500 times.

EDIT: Added board structure conversion, the ability to specify board passwords and a simplified setup. Also fixed a minor bug relating to edited-by information.
EDIT2: Minor update to instructions (removed some now-irrelevant text, added the bot-adding step)
EDIT3: Updated the package.
EDIT4: Updated to version 0.3.3, which fixes several minor conversion issues.
EDIT5 [Sept 20 2009]: Minor fixes for forum conversion.
EDIT6 [Mar 3 2010]: Update converter to properly handle new email links.
EDIT7 [Mar 19 2010]: Update converter to handle new "edited by" data, and convert "align" and "font" tags using custom BBCode.
EDIT8 [Mar 25 2010]: Update converter to handle "today" and "yesterday" posts again
Last edited by nneonneo on Tue May 04, 2010 6:10 am, edited 14 times in total.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.

nneonneo

Re: Proboards to phpBB3 Converter

Post by nneonneo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 am

Updated the package.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 am

Has anyone tried this out yet? How'd it work?

I've got it downloaded, but I want to know a little more before I give it a try.

1. How difficult is it? I'm not good with all that stuff, but if the directions are spelled out clearly I should be able to follow.

2. Is it selective in what you move? Can I choose not to move certain members or certain topics? Or does it just move everything?

3. Does it interfere with anything that's already setup on a new board? Like, members already posting on the new board, will moving proboards stuff over, overwrite anything, as in take away from what they've done at the new board.?

I've been tempted to just ditch everything from proboards and start fresh, but then again it never hurts to have a few extra posts and topics to make the site more appealing.

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:02 am

For difficulty, it should not be too hard to use. There's a supplied Instructions.txt file (I *just* updated that to get rid of some old instructions, so I recommend getting a fresh copy before starting), which describes what you need to do.

For the most part, it comes down to:
1) Edit settings.py
2) Run the members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py script
3) Upload/import all the generated SQL files to your database (usually through the "import" tab in phpMyAdmin; this varies between hosts)
4) Some recounts and such to make everything line up.

The converter (like many others) is designed with a fresh install in mind, so it will convert categories, forums, subforums, topics, posts, and members (and as much as it can in each of those categories). It will delete all existing topics, posts, members and forums by default, so that the numbering and such works out correctly. If you want to merge the forums, there will be some reprogramming to do (mainly removing the deletion commands and ensuring that the script renumbers things appropriately).

As it is currently configured, yes, it will erase any new posts and such. Forums, topics, posts and members are all tied together, so it is not trivial to simply renumber everything and hope it works.

If you really need that feature, early versions (which I would be happy to post) are easier to modify because they don't convert forums automatically. The downside is that they are not as easy to use, and are phpBB2 only.

Regards,
nneonneo

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:16 pm

If you want to merge the forums, there will be some reprogramming to do
yeah, merging is what I had in mind, but I'm not up for reprogramming anything.
I'll just skip it for now, but thanks anyway.

egriz

Post by egriz » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:19 pm

quick question,

If we are converting proboards, do we jsut upload the proboards folder to the root directory of our new phpbb3 forum and run the scripts from there? Or do we have to upload the entire folder IF-PB-AB etc due to there bing a couple of scripts in that folder?

Thanks for the help? Also, do the sql files get created in this folder?

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 pm

This converter works a bit unlike most converters.

You'll want to run it on your own computer, then transfer the produced SQL files to your host.

So, the first step is to obtain Python (http://www.python.org; I'd use PHP but the capabilities of PHP to handle very large datasets is not that great, plus converting Proboards forums can take a very long time for big boards). Then, you make the appropriate settings changes in settings.py, and finally, run the scripts on your system (in the order prescribed, see Instructions.txt for details).

This will create several SQL files if successful; uploading and installing them to the forum one-at-a-time will complete the conversion.

Kymmy

Post by Kymmy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:40 pm

LOL, didn't see that you've now started posting in the phpbb3 section.

Kymmy ;)

Kymmy

Post by Kymmy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:50 pm

millipede wrote:Has anyone tried this out yet? How'd it work?

I've got it downloaded, but I want to know a little more before I give it a try.

1. How difficult is it? I'm not good with all that stuff, but if the directions are spelled out clearly I should be able to follow.

2. Is it selective in what you move? Can I choose not to move certain members or certain topics? Or does it just move everything?

3. Does it interfere with anything that's already setup on a new board? Like, members already posting on the new board, will moving proboards stuff over, overwrite anything, as in take away from what they've done at the new board.?

I've been tempted to just ditch everything from proboards and start fresh, but then again it never hurts to have a few extra posts and topics to make the site more appealing.
1# Once you have python installed it's just a matter of editting settings.py and then running members_topics_posts_phpbb3.py This will then rip off the following into thier own SQL files
  • categories_forums_phpbb3.sql
  • topics_posts_phpbb3.sql
  • members_phpBB3.sql
Then just create a new install off phpbb3 and query each of the sql files into the DB you just used to install phpbb3.

Then resync all the forums/posts/counts and then it's all done.

The only currently problem is that the topic lists show guest as each topic creator but I'm sure that nneonneo will soon have that sorted.

3# As for merging the boards I don't think there's anything out there that'll let you do that although if there is all you have to do is migrate the proboards to a clean phpbb3 install and then merge it into your existing board.

Kymmy

egriz

Post by egriz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:54 am

When I run the 'python members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py' command on my mac (latest python version) I get the following error.
File "members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py", line 409
out.write(','.join(["(%i, %i, %i, '%s', '%s', %i, '%s', '%s', '%s', 'en', 1, %i, '%s', %i, '', '', '%s', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '%s', '', '', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '', '%s', '%s', '', '', '', '', 1, 2)" %(dat[0],dat[19],5 if dat[19] else 2,dat[1],dat[1],dat[11],dat[17],dat[3],str(crc32(dat[3]))+str(len(dat[3])),1 if dat[19] else 0,'AA0000' if dat[19] else '',dat[9],dat[6],dat[18],dat[8],dat[12],dat[13],dat[14],dat[15],dat[16],dat[5]) for dat in memberdata[i:i+members_max_group]]))
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Any idea how to fix this?

Just as a thought, I think the newly installed python script is in a different location so if I run the command '/usr/local/bin/pythonw members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py' I get the following error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py", line 25, in <module>
exec file("../common.py", "rt").read() in globals(), locals()
File "<string>", line 5
Updated Feb 24 2008'''
^
That should cover all my issues. Please let me know what I can do.

Kymmy

Post by Kymmy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:32 am

egriz wrote:When I run the 'python members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py' command on my mac (latest python version) I get the following error.
File "members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py", line 409
out.write(','.join(["(%i, %i, %i, '%s', '%s', %i, '%s', '%s', '%s', 'en', 1, %i, '%s', %i, '', '', '%s', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '%s', '', '', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '%s', '', '%s', '%s', '', '', '', '', 1, 2)" %(dat[0],dat[19],5 if dat[19] else 2,dat[1],dat[1],dat[11],dat[17],dat[3],str(crc32(dat[3]))+str(len(dat[3])),1 if dat[19] else 0,'AA0000' if dat[19] else '',dat[9],dat[6],dat[18],dat[8],dat[12],dat[13],dat[14],dat[15],dat[16],dat[5]) for dat in memberdata[i:i+members_max_group]]))
^
Any idea how to fix this?

Just as a thought, I think the newly installed python script is in a different location so if I run the command '/usr/local/bin/pythonw members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py' I get the following error.
File "<string>", line 5
Updated Feb 24 2008'''
^
That should cover all my issues. Please let me know what I can do.
Not sure if the script in this thread is the latest. I've just completed a phpbb3 migration from proboards last night and as this script was originally phpbb2 I've been using the original thread found HERE which has the latest script as of yesterday afternoon.

Kymmy

egriz

Post by egriz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:47 pm

yeah, I grabbed the latest script from the phpbb2 thread. Maybe I should just convert to phpbb2 and then to phpbb3?

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:34 pm

I think I know the problem. Certain parts of the converter are using Python 2.5 features; Mac OS X comes with 2.4 IIRC. There's an updater for it at http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/ ... macosx.dmg (that line in particular makes some use of those new features).

egriz

Post by egriz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:52 pm

I had already installed python version 2.5.2 and checked to make sure it was working.

I still get the error
File "<string>", line 5
Updated Feb 24 2008'''
^

nneonneo

Post by nneonneo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:13 pm

Both give that error now? Try the attached common.py.
Attachments
common.zip
(871 Bytes) Downloaded 299 times

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”