[BETA] IPB 1.3 to phpBB3 Convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Anti-Spam Guide
tygerbug

Re: Need help writing ipb13-to-phpbb3 convertor (for pm conv)

Post by tygerbug » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Thank you, that helped a lot, enabling me to actually convert the board.

However, the conversion didn't go completely smoothly. I did notice an error message at one point. Now I look at the board, and a lot of the information is indeed there. A couple of users even have avatars still. But some users aren't so lucky - there's a user named WarrenEBB (I think that was his username) and all of his posts have vanished - which is a pity as he's a mod and a major poster.

Also - my username is tygerbug and I'm to be the admin/mod for the board - but I can't log in. It doesn't recognize my username or password, even though I'm clearly in the system - all my posts are still there etc. I just tried loggin in as an alternate identity of mine on the board, and that doesn't work either. So my guess is none of my users will be able to log in. Which is not a good thing.

I've now checked the user guide - the list of users who actually converted over. None of the major posters are listed. I see hundreds and hundreds of spam bot posters who never posted at all. No one who made over 3 posts.

On the actual board, I see a fair amount of users still have their avatars and sigs intact, and all their profile information and everything. Oddly, my own account, tygerbug, is not an active link. It just says tygerbug - preserving all my posts but not listing me like you would an active member. And I can't log in.

Hm.

Which puts me in a spot, as I need to be able to log in to prune the zero post users and fix the board and things.

I'd be able to live with all these problems - making people register again etc - if it wasn't clear that I've also lost some posts here by some major posters.

All my posts still exist, but not Warren's. I'm sure that if I looked at the board closely there would be more stuff missing.

EDIT: Yep, another major poster, Will Tasker (another W!) has all his posts missing.

http://ffrevolution.com/board/

That's from just two seconds of testing. I think I spotted another whose posts are missing as well.

Also, guest posts are missing. Which used to be a fair amount of the posts that were made on the forum. My Doctor Who thread, for example, has lost its entire first page and a lot of the funnier comedy threads were made by people pretending to be someone else, as a guest.

So what's happening is, in the case of WarrenEBB and Will Tasker and some other members, the forum is interpreting them as Guests, and not showing their posts at all. Which is very odd. If I could set it to actually convert and transfer posts made by guests this problem would probably be eliminated.

Users would have to reregister but I'm not super concerned about that as long as I can log in myself.

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 am

I'm trying the conversion again from scratch, just in case. Reinstalled everything, going again.

There is an error message at this stage:

Introduction
Settings
Conversion in progress
Final stage
Filling tables
Filling table phpbb_users:
skip_rows = 12416:
Filling table phpbb_topics:
skip_rows = 0:
Filling table phpbb_privmsgs:
skip_rows = 0:
Installation error
functions_ipb13.php [ 930 ]:
Post ID: Message parser error:

Your message contains too few characters.
Filling table phpbb_privmsgs_to:
skip_rows = 0:
Filling table phpbb_privmsgs_to:
skip_rows = 0:
Filling table phpbb_posts:
skip_rows = 0:

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:15 am

Results were exactly the same when I reinstalled. Many important posts still missing.

Smilies seem to have carried over fine.

My user, tygerbug, did not carry over once again of course. I registered a new user as tygerbug, and gave him admin privileges using PhpMyadmin.

I am attempting to prune all the spambot users (anyone who hasn't posted) to make my life easier when looking at which users have survived the switchover ...

But it times out. Immediately. Again, I need a script to keep this damn PhpBB3 from timing out immediately.

There are thousands of users who need to be purged.

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 am

tygerbug,

For the guest postings:

OPEN functions_ipb13.php
FIND

Code: Select all

function phpbb_user_id($user_id)
{
	global $config;
REPLACE WITH

function phpbb_user_id($user_id)
{
	global $config, $convert, $src_db, $db;

// If the old user id is 0, it is the anonymous user...
	if ($user_id == 0)
	{
		return ANONYMOUS;
	}
For the timeouts:
OPEN phpbb3/install/install_convert.php

FIND

<?php
/**
* @package install
* @version $Id: install_convert.php 8615 2008-06-07 13:50:39Z acydburn $
* @copyright (c) 2006 phpBB Group
* @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License
*/

/**
*/
AFTER, ADD

@set_time_limit(0);
@ini_set('memory_limit', '256M');
@ini_set('upload_max_filesize', '128M');
@ini_set('post_max_size', '256M');
@ini_set('max_input_time', '-1');
@ini_set('max_execution_time', '-1');
@ini_set('expect.timeout', '-1');
@ini_set('default_socket_timeout', '-1');
I wouldn't be concerned with the spambots at this time. phpBB3 has a nice prune function you can use to delete them.

I wouldn't be concerned with the "Message parser error: Your message contains too few characters." error. I have never seen it cause a problem. If you can grab some post_ids, you can check it out after the conversion and see if it causes a problem.
Have you hugged someone today?

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:56 am

Hi Dicky. Thanks, though that doesn't exactly fit my problem.

I've already put that script into the install-converter to fix the timeouts there, just to make it run.

These timeouts are occurring when the board is already installed. Can I change timeout settings on an already installed board, so that when I need to prune members and fix the search index (as I need to do) it won't timeout?

The people who own my server are no help:
The MySQL settings for our shared server have been optimized for best performance. We have been trying different settings and the ones we currently use are the optimal for a shared server. I am afraid that since this is a shared server and we are doing our best to ensure that every of our customers receives equal amount of server resources, the changes you have requested cannot be performed. However, if the above-mentioned MySQL scripts are essential for your website, I would like to recommend you to take a look at our VPS and Dedicated Servers which offer much more customization, including changes to the MySQL environment.

Bastards.

I need to fix the timeout code somehow for when the board itself is running - my ADMIN CP anyway.

EDIT: I applied the script you suggested to the conversion script and reran the conversion.

There was no change. There's still tons of missing posts and users. I've noticed that we've lost a major thread by one of the users who was lost, which mostly just he posted in (although I chimed in too).

This is a mess. There's a ton missing. This won't do at all.
Last edited by tygerbug on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:08 am

phpBB3 shouldn't be timing out in the ACP. If it is timing out when checking users, this indicates a problem with the users table or a very poor server. If you can get around the ACP with a fresh phpBB3 installation, I would suspect a problem with the users table.

I suggest that you work on the conversion locally. You have more control and you can sort out the problems easier. Use EasyPHP, WampServer, or XAMPP.

Some helpful tips are in this Knowledge Base article, Offline Conversions

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:00 am

I'm not surprised it's timing out, if it's given the option to.

It's timing out when asked to prune a huge amount of users (something like a thousand) at once, or to fix the search index from scratch. I've had my forum for 6 years so there's a fair amount of posts.

I'll try it offline .... sigh .... my site's been down for 2 weeksish now.

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:51 am

Not being able to build the Search Index does indicate that your host has given you very limited resources, but once you get phpBB3 up and running, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do, it is time to look for a new host.

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:56 am

I attempted to run MAMP and XAMPP on my Mac. Whoever wrote those tutorials clearly did not have Macs in mind, as none of the instructions match or work. (There's no FAQ for the Mac version of XAMPP and very little documentation.)

XAMPP is a very weird program requiring me to type commands into Terminal the old fashioned way.

EDIT:

I had a lot of trouble getting the MySQL server to load at all. It wasn't working, but I just restarted my computer and I think I've figured it out now so I'm gonna try it. Gonna stop complaining for a moment.

Sorry for derailing the thread by the way - I should have started my own. I thought that my own problems running this conversion might be of interest to the user who wrote this conversion script.

UPDATE:

I can't get BigDump to work to split up my big old server backup .... 45 megs, it is ....

Database connection failed due to Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Edit the database settings in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/InvisionBoard/dump/bigdump.php or contact your database provider

I've now realized this is not just a BigDump problem.

I had to reinstall PhPBB3 from scratch, and now the permissions aren't there either:

Could not connect to the database, see error message below.
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

That's during the installation.

So clearly there's some sort of permission problem all of a sudden that wasn't there when I first installed. Hrm..

UPDATE:

I figured it out. This wasn't true when I first installed, but now, they were interpreting me putting in no password for user "root" as being that I was putting in "NO PASSWORD" rather than a password which happens to be nothing.

So the choice was to either actually give user root a password, or change permissions in PhpMyadmin so that he didn't require one. I took the latter route.

UPDATE: Well, that created as many problems as it solved. I was able to install the PhpBB3 and import my old InvisionBoard tables using BigDump. All the stuff that didn't work before. However, all the stuff that worked before doesn't now - I can't log into PhpMyAdmin and it's generally a big mess. I'm going to reinstall MAMP from scratch and try again, but manually add the information I was able to pull using BigDump before, since it's all on my hard drive anyway.

I think I should just have given user "Root" a real password.

Also, the converter for InvisionBoard doesn't show up in the installer now. Which is strange. So I can't convert.

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:40 am

So after an entire day and night puttering around with this, I've got a converted message board running on my hard drive --

That's just as fuck ed up as my original install was. No changes there. Tons of missing posts and missing members.

It's the script that's at fault here, lads.

Looking directly at the MySQL database bits as text files, the "missing" posts by "missing" users are definitely still there in the Posts database, but the forum software isn't seeing them.

The "missing" users like myself, "wrenny" and "Will Tasker" are not present in the users file, though.

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:55 am

UPDATE:

Giving up on this script, I used the older script still available on this website that converts IPB 1 to PHPBB2.

The results were a million times better - all the posts by Wrenny, Will Tasker and Guests were preserved. I haven't spotted any problems yet.

I'm going to try to convert to PHPBB3 from the PHPBB2 version I have now - which so far looks excellent.

I note that smileys and avatars haven't converted over (they largely did when I used this thread's script), and sig files are filled with ugly html like {BR}s and things .... however, my admin user DID carry over.

I figured out the best way around the password/no password login -- sometimes user root with password "" was needed, and sometimes user root needed to actually have a password for this to work. So I created another user "root2" with the same permissions and actually gave this user a real password. If ever any process or program didn't accept user root with password "", I tried user root2 and it would work.

Ah, crap -- now my most popular thread ever didn't convert over at all. It says "No posts exist for that topic." What the hell happened there?

That's a dealbreaker for me, I'm afraid. I haven't noticed any other posts or topics missing (yet), but that's such a popular thread, there can't be a forum without it.

I wonder if I can combine the two installations?

I've checked the SQL file containing the post data. And the very popular "lost" thread is still in there. I can read the posts within. So why doesn't it show up? Same problem as last time, although oddly so far it seems confined to just this one thread.

UPDATE:

After converting to PHPBB3, the Very Popular Thread magically reappeared! So hmm. Strange, but very good news, because I finally have a forum I can put back online. I wish the smileys/avatars had transferred as they did with the original conversion from Invision to PHPBB3, but I can live with that.

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 pm

The local board is working fine. I pruned the users, though it took several tries - a ton of users had to be pruned, and the program took about an hour to do it!

Anyway, I'm trying to use BigDump to upload the local board's SQL to the actual web server ... but I get this ....

Processing file: phpBB3.sql

Starting from line: 1

Error at the line 37: ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin;

Query: --
--
--
--
CREATE TABLE `phpbb_acl_groups` (
`group_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`forum_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`auth_option_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`auth_role_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`auth_setting` tinyint(2) NOT NULL default '0',
KEY `group_id` (`group_id`),
KEY `auth_opt_id` (`auth_option_id`),
KEY `auth_role_id` (`auth_role_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin;

MySQL: Table 'phpbb_acl_groups' already exists

Stopped on error

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:34 pm

The tables need to be dropped before importing. Either DROP the tables on your server before importing or include the DROP TABLE command When you export your local database.

tygerbug

Post by tygerbug » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Thank you. I was able to get BigDump started, but it stops importing the information after about 3 seconds.

Timeout. Again.

You gave me a small script that stopped the other importer from timing out --- Is there a script I can put in to stop BigDump from timing out?

EDIT: I figured it out. There's an option in bigdump.php.

I'm not there yet, though. Having trouble with my MySQL server "going away." I'll try again.

EDIT:

Well, my server has screwed me over again. I just can't get BIgDump to work. There's an option in the script to have it send smaller amounts of information at one time. The default is 3000. That times out immediately, and so does 1000. I tried all sorts of combinations from 700 to 5, and they would work for a while, then ...

Error at the line 11121: INSERT INTO `phpbb_posts` VALUES(9303, 762, 2, 11547, 0, '64.12.116.13', 1102030031, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 'tygerbug', '', 'He''s back!\n\n In spite of popular

[REMOVED: LONG POST]

MySQL: MySQL server has gone away

An error occurs - it always occurs - at some point when it's supposed to be putting all the posts onto the server. The posts are fairly long I guess, and at some point I guess the server chokes.

This is true even when I'm only sending 5 - 5 (!) lines of information at once when the default is 3000. Maybe it's especially true then because I suspect this system is designed for the default 3000 lines to actually work, and have the transfer done with fairly quickly before the server decides to "go away" ...

AAARGGGH.

Lilly-Town

Post by Lilly-Town » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:50 am

Lilly-Town wrote:hi i tried your convertor but in the begenning, i have this message :

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: iconv() in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\phpbb3\install\convertors\functions_ipb13.php on line 193
someone knows where is my problem ??

sorry for my english i'm french :(
up :cry:

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”