[BETA] IPB 1.3 to phpBB3 Convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Suggested Hosts
RavenMokel

Re: [BETA] IPB 1.3 to phpBB3 Convertor

Post by RavenMokel » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:05 pm

Yes, i do, but there seems to be nothing in them regarding this. I even tried watching the error log live (with "tail -f ..."), but nothing happened in the error log when i tried the conversion. This is strange...

-David

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

RavenMokel wrote:Hi,
the latest version from the trunk (0.4.dev) is always giving me the following error, even though the path worked with previous versions of the converter and i know that the path is correct:
Could not find path to your former board. Please check your settings and try again.
» ../../somepath/board was specified as the source path.
Any ideas why it stopped recognising my IPB directory?

Bye, David
RavenMokel wrote:Directly after the first screen with the database and path settings for the conversion.

-David
If you getting that message directly after entering the database settings and then the page comes up again to enter your database settings, then you are entering the incorrect path.
What are the url's to your phpBB3 board and your IPB board?
Have you hugged someone today?

maat

Post by maat » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:57 am

Well i think as D¡cky does.

if you stay on firsts step (before clickin on third button named "Continue Conversion") you are not yet under convertor control but under phpbb3 core system control

seems like phpbb3 does not find your source forum path

did you give a relative path or an absolute path for ipb13 root dir ?

RavenMokel

Post by RavenMokel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:11 am

D¡cky wrote:If you getting that message directly after entering the database settings and then the page comes up again to enter your database settings, then you are entering the incorrect path.
What are the url's to your phpBB3 board and your IPB board?
This is really strange, since it once worked using exactly the same path (i used my browsers form completion to fill in exactly the same value), but anyhow (all paths slightly anonymised):
  • The old IPB (v1.3.1) is installed in: /var/kunden/webs/david/some.domain/someforum and accessible at an URL like http://someforum.another.domain/
  • The new phpBB is installed in: /var/kunden/webs/david/another.domain/forum and accesible at the moment at something like http://someforum2.another.domain/ (but will take the URL of the old board, once the conversion is complete).
  • The relative path i used for the conversion is: ../../some.domain/someforum (i also tried an absolute path, but got the same error with it).
Another (possibly important) thing i just noticed: My first tries at converting we're with phpBB 3.0.4, the latest (unsuccesful) with phpBB 3.0.5.

Hope this gets us closer to solving this mystery... ;)

-David

maat

Post by maat » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 am

I wonder if ipb source path can be outside current virtual host root path :?:

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 am

David,

The boards have to be in the same domain. The convertor will not work across different domains or even across different subdomains.

Your example board addresses are confusing. If you have your boards in the same domain and you still can't figure out the path, PM me with the real url's if you don't want them public.

RavenMokel

Post by RavenMokel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:43 pm

D¡cky wrote:The boards have to be in the same domain. The convertor will not work across different domains or even across different subdomains.
The converter accesses the old forums via the filesystem, there is no such concept as a domain there, only files and folders (with owner, groups, permissions etc. of course). So why should it matter under what domain the boards are accessible from the outside?

The only thing that should matter is the open_basedir setting of PHP. Taken straight from the apache-config of the new phpBBs domain:

Code: Select all

<VirtualHost 123.45.116.35:80>
  ServerName forum2.another.domain
  [...]
  DocumentRoot "/var/kunden/webs/david/another.domain/forum/"
  php_admin_value open_basedir "/var/kunden/webs/david/:/tmp/"
  [...]
</VirtualHost>
So, yes, they reside in two different directories in the file system (and are in two different VirtualHosts with different DocumentRoots from Apaches viewpoint), but still a PHP script running on one of the should be able to access files from the others directories (see the value of the open_basedir above, and the fact that it already worked once, using an older version of the converter and phpBB).

But, yes, i also agree that the setup is quite confusing. Mostly out of "historical" reasons. I'll try to simplify that a bit and report back if it helped.

Thanks for all the help so far!

-David

maat

Post by maat » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:01 pm

for ipb13 the ipb13 existence check is done on "conf_global.php" file which must be found in ipb root dir

swifter_uk

Re: Need help writing ipb13-to-phpbb3 convertor (for pm conv)

Post by swifter_uk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:51 pm

maat wrote:Ok i suppose you're using the same db for source and destination.
I would like to convert our charitable forum from IPB 1.3 to phpBB3 but the conversion process is slightly confusing to me, how do I upload BB3 to the same database as the existing forum, or do you mean the database's must both reside on the same server?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:06 pm

swifter_uk,

The databases have to be on the same server and the filesystems have to be on the same server as well.

You can install phpBB3 into the same database as IPB or you can create a new database and install phpBB3 into that. It doesn't make any difference which way you do it. It is your preference. When you install phpBB3, you will be asked to enter the information to connect to a database. You can enter the information for either the IPB database or a new one you have created.

swifter_uk

Post by swifter_uk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks for clarifying that Dicky, presumably I can install BB3 into a new database first and run the convertor at a later date?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:20 pm

You can run the convertor at a later date, but.......you will lose any posts made and members registered on phpBB3. The convertor is meant to be run with a virgin phpBB3 board, but you can do styles and MODs on phpBB3 without losing those or interfering with the conversion.

swifter_uk

Post by swifter_uk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 pm

I think I understand, my plan would be to install the phpBB3 in a new directory of the server, backup and close off the old forum whilst converting and once happy conversion had been successful, remove the original and then move phpBB3 to the location the old one resided on, does this make sense or is there a simpler method?

D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 pm

That makes perfect sense. There is no simpler way to do it.

Once you have moved phpBB3 to the old IPB directory, you should go into the Administration control Panel and set the script path.

swifter_uk

Post by swifter_uk » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.
One more question, is it possible to run the convertor to test it, am I correct to assume it does not affect the running of the existing software I am converting. I'd like to see how much work I have to do when I am ready for the final changeover, it will give me some idea of how much time to allow for the current board to be shut down.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”