[CONVERT] Forumotion converter

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Scam Warning
jthees

Re: [CONVERT] Forumotion converter

Post by jthees »

First, thanks for all your hard work on this. This is a huge time saver for me, and a giant help.

I've got this to a stage where I think it's working. However, at random points, it just grinds to a near halt.

I've tried it on two computers (one WIn 7 64 on Python 2.5.5, one XP SP3 32 also Pytonh 2.5.5) on two networks now (one a 10 MB ethernet fiber connection, and the other a cable connection), and sometimes it gets through the users, forums, and onto the topics in minutes, then starts to take 4-5 minutes per each topic. Sometimes (like now, for instance) it just gets part way through the users, again, in mere moments, then starts to take anywhere between 1 minute to 5 per.

I noticed in this case, it got to user 88, then kicked out:

Failed! <urlopen error timed out> Retrying in X seconds.

It then retried, and succeeded, but took about 2 minutes before moving on to 89.

Until this happens, the forum seems normal - one can browse posts, etc. After this error hits, the forum also becomes super slow. If I kill the process, wait a period of time, usually an hour, and start again, it's typically super fast again for a random amount of time, until it isn't.

Do you have any thoughts as to if this is one of the random slowdown issues that might be resolved via a proxy, or if I'm missing something somewhere?

Thanks again.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

It is probably a random slowdown issue that can be resolved by proxy; the usual symptoms are all present. I wish I could tell you why this issue occurs, but it is quite difficult for me to even reproduce.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
jthees

Post by jthees »

At this point, I'm not sure. I've tried 3 different proxies now on multiple networks with the same results. Last night, I got through the members, the forums, and into the topics. 3 topics in, and the slow down started.

This morning, the latest attempt got me through 213 of my 220 users before the slowdown started. Now, I moved over to another computer, booted it, opened the browser, searched for this, and typed this whole message. Just got to user 215.

Man, I'll be so glad to be rid of Forumotion... I suspect this is a problem on their end.
d0h

Post by d0h »

Hello again,
First of all, thank very much for your effort to make this script and for all the support that you are offering, nneonneo ;)

I have a little problem after I got the data from the forum and tried to import it.
members.sql: ok

bots.sql:
Script line: 2 Field 'user_permissions' doesn't have a default value
Script line: 2 Field 'user_sig' doesn't have a default value
Script line: 2 Field 'user_occ' doesn't have a default value
Script line: 2 Field 'user_interests' doesn't have a default value

categories_forums.sql:
Script line: 7 Field 'forum_parents' doesn't have a default value
Script line: 7 Field 'forum_rules' doesn't have a default value

topics_posts.sql: ok
I added those fields manually to the generated .sql files with empty values and it worked, but it took me a while :geek:
I looked into the script add_phpbb3_bots.py; do I have to add at the line out.write("INSERT INTO... all the 4 missing fields? What values should those fields have? I should do same thing with members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py?
Thank you!
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

They can all be empty strings. Usually, most people import with phpMyAdmin which simply fills out empty strings for those, but I guess it's not safe in general to do that. I'll see about getting those added for a future release.
Need a conversion from another forum, but they won't give you the database? Try a crawler converter. If your converter isn't listed, feel free to post in that thread to ask for one.
d0h

Post by d0h »

You're right, I was using MySQL Query Browser for Windows connected remotely to the database.
Thank you very much!
d0h

Post by d0h »

Hi again,
Is there any other way to send the new generated passwords to the users? After copying all forumotion content to new forum, I want to shutdown forumotion forum. But new passwords will be in user's PM from forumotion after running pm_passwords.py
Is there any other solution to notify users of their new passwords?
I think to something like modifying pm_passwords.txt to contain also email addresses (I have to try: PM_data.write("%s|%s|%s\n"%(dat[1],dat[3],passnumber))) and creating/running a php script on the new server to send emails with the generated passwords.

Later edit: I thought that forumotion email notification of new PM contains the subject of PM and therefore including the generated password in the PM's subject will do the trick, but forumotion sends a standard notification email to user's email addresse without including the subject or message of PM.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Yeah, editing the PM_data line and writing a script to do the mailings is a good way of doing it. I've also heard of successes using that and a mail merge utility (Excel or Word?) to perform the mailings.

In a future version, I may add the email data by default to make that easier.
d0h

Post by d0h »

For anyone who had the same problem here it is how I did it:

1. Open the file members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py with any text editor (or right click -> Edit with IDLE if you installed corectly Python)
2. FIND the line:

Code: Select all

PM_data.write("%s|%s\n"%(dat[1],passnumber))
3. REPLACE it with:

PM_data.write("%s|%s|%s\n"%(dat[1],dat[3],passnumber))
Start the converting process according to Instructions.txt

After that if you open pm_passwords.txt you'll have on each line: User|User@email|Password

Sending emails to each user can be done in two different ways (I succesfully tested both)

I. Use any MASS MAILER software. I tried Fast Mailer Pro. Import pm_passwords.txt identifying the 3 fields (user/email/password -> Recipient Name/Recipient Email/Recipient Phone or any field you like). Create a message including the field for password (%PHONE% for this example). Setup the SMTP server providing server/port/user/password and start sending.

II. Upload pm_passwords.txt to your server. Create a new file mail.php, edit the file and insert the following:

<?php

//Change values acording to your needs
$password_file="pm_passwords.txt";
$mail_from="From: Your Name <admin@your-forum.com>";
$mail_subject="Your new password!";
$mail_message="Hello \n We have moved to http://your-forum.com\n You can access the forum using your username and new password: ";
// END Change

//open file
$fp = @fopen ($password_file, "r");
if ($fp) {
     while(!feof($fp)) {
          $this_line = fgets($fp);	
          $kw = explode("|", $this_line);
          $mail_message.="$kw[0] and $kw[2]";
          $mail_to="$kw[1]";
          // SEND Email
          //Check for success/failure of delivery 
          if(mail($mail_to,$mail_subject,$mail_message,$mail_from))
          echo "<div>E-mail has been sent successfully to $mail_to</div>";
          else
          echo "<div>Failed to send the E-mail to $mail_to</div>";
          sleep(0.1); //Increase or decrease value
     }
     //close file
     fclose($fp);
}
?>
I tested this code only for 40 users; the server may timeout if the number of users is much higher. In this case try splitting the file pm_passwords.txt

Good luck!
jemiesranova

Post by jemiesranova »

d0h wrote:For anyone who had the same problem here it is how I did it:

1. Open the file members_topics_posts_phpBB3.py with any text editor (or right click -> Edit with IDLE if you installed corectly Python)
2. FIND the line:

PM_data.write("%s|%s\n"%(dat[1],passnumber))
3. REPLACE it with:

PM_data.write("%s|%s|%s\n"%(dat[1],dat[3],passnumber))
Start the converting process according to Instructions.txt

After that if you open pm_passwords.txt you'll have on each line: User|User@email|Password

Sending emails to each user can be done in two different ways (I succesfully tested both)

I. Use any MASS MAILER software. I tried Fast Mailer Pro. Import pm_passwords.txt identifying the 3 fields (user/email/password -> Recipient Name/Recipient Email/Recipient Phone or any field you like). Create a message including the field for password (%PHONE% for this example). Setup the SMTP server providing server/port/user/password and start sending.

II. Upload pm_passwords.txt to your server. Create a new file mail.php, edit the file and insert the following:

<?php

//Change values acording to your needs
$password_file="pm_passwords.txt";
$mail_from="From: Your Name <admin@your-forum.com>";
$mail_subject="Your new password!";
$mail_message="Hello \n We have moved to http://your-forum.com\n You can access the forum using your username and new password: ";
// END Change

//open file
$fp = @fopen ($password_file, "r");
if ($fp) {
     while(!feof($fp)) {
          $this_line = fgets($fp);	
          $kw = explode("|", $this_line);
          $mail_message.="$kw[0] and $kw[2]";
          $mail_to="$kw[1]";
          // SEND Email
          //Check for success/failure of delivery 
          if(mail($mail_to,$mail_subject,$mail_message,$mail_from))
          echo "<div>E-mail has been sent successfully to $mail_to</div>";
          else
          echo "<div>Failed to send the E-mail to $mail_to</div>";
          sleep(0.1); //Increase or decrease value
     }
     //close file
     fclose($fp);
}
?>
I tested this code only for 40 users; the server may timeout if the number of users is much higher. In this case try splitting the file pm_passwords.txt

Good luck!
I thank you for his comments so I have tried to understand and very satisfying results. you are the best. thanks. :) :)
Joshpho

Post by Joshpho »

Hi, this looks like a great tool, but I would like to ask people who have successfully converted their forums: Have you had had any trouble from Forumotion? (I think this might violate their ToS).
AlexandruM

Post by AlexandruM »

Problem :
Last edited by AlexandruM on Wed May 18, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexandruM

Post by AlexandruM »

I solved the problem , and works :) You are the best ;)
Joshpho

Post by Joshpho »

Hi,

I am preparing my forum for the conversion, and am confused with two things on the instructions file, the first one in this line:
instructions.txt wrote:2) Change some settings in settings.py (edit the file)
table_prefix
When you set up your forum software, what prefix did you use (default will depend on the exact software used; it's usually the product name plus an underscore)
I'm not exactly sure what a "prefix" is in respect to a forum - could someone clarify this for me? Thanks! :)

I'm also not sure how to find the location of the locked image file described in this line of the instructions file - is this simply the image URL, or?
instructions.txt wrote:lockimage
Location of the "Locked" image which appears in place of the usual "Post Reply" button.
nneonneo

Post by nneonneo »

Table prefix is the prefix assigned to the tables in your new forum's database. The default is phpbb_; you probably set this up when you installed phpBB3.

Lock image is just the URL to the "locked" topic reply button. The default value works for the default theme.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”