[CONVERT] Forumotion converter

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Get Involved
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: [CONVERT] Forumotion converter

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that is exactly what the purpose of this convertor is.

the easy way to find out is to try.

you can not lose anything from your existing board by trying this out.

go back to the first page of this topic, read all the info about how to use this and give it a try.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Car2013

Post by Car2013 »

Ok, Lumpy. And thank you for answering.
However, it's not clear about what I asked...the 3 questions. Can somebody tell me, specially about the first question?

But you're right... I needed to try..and I did, after I wrote the first message. I couldnt stand and wait ;)
So I followed the instructions...did the procedures...but at the first time, didnt work: some problem with login. Then I read other pages here..and correct something. Went sleep (was tired) and cam back now... did... and I'm in the middle of process. And I'll tell you guys later how it finished.

Anyway. I just need to confess that I'm very worry if it's not possible to 'copy' my theme...or even to find a way to convert that pathern file '.bbtheme' from Forumotion to my phpbb. Oh men! Must have a way! Say to me :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

now that I think of it, I don't believe you can get the style /layout settings with the convertor at all.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Car2013

Post by Car2013 »

Well...I finally finished all the procedures... and did the back up. It worked fine. Just one problem:
I've noticed that all members shows in the topics 0 posts. Also in anybody profiles. However, I read in the instructions:
"1) In your ACP, resynchronize statistics, post counts and dotted topics (main ACP page), Maintenance->Search index->Create Index for the active search method (if the Delete Index button is shown instead, click it first)
2) Use this script:
http://www.startrekguide.com/community/ ... 648#p47648. This script is designed
to resynchronize individual post data which this converter is unable to reproduce. Instructions are posted here.
"

I think that's my problem, right? But I dont know how to do this, I'm sorry. Even how to run a script. Could you help me in this part?

-------
Anyway. The second think... and the most importante...I saw no changes in my layout..which is a big problem (for me).

However, of course, it already saved a lot of manual work. Thanks very much. But now I need to think how I'll do that...to 'clone' my layout and theme quickly and easily.

So, please. If anybody has some idea (for example, how can I transform forumotion theme in phpbb theme) to help me... I'd appreciate very much..and without any doubts, I'd be happy to compensate this person with good donation.

Thanks
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Car2013 wrote:I've noticed that all members shows in the topics 0 posts. Also in anybody profiles. However, I read in the instructions:
"1) In your ACP, resynchronize statistics, post counts and dotted topics (main ACP page), Maintenance->Search index->Create Index for the active search method (if the Delete Index button is shown instead, click it first)
2) Use this script:
http://www.startrekguide.com/community/ ... 648#p47648. This script is designed
to resynchronize individual post data which this converter is unable to reproduce. Instructions are posted here."

I think that's my problem, right? But I dont know how to do this, I'm sorry. Even how to run a script. Could you help me in this part?
You must do #1 on your list, and in addition, you myst go to the new board's ACP, click the forums tab, and then click the "resynchronize" icon next to each forum. If the listed forum contains subforums, after doing the resync, click on the forum and then resync each subforum. This will make the topic/post/view counts appear properly.

I would advise not running the script in #2. I've found that it causes more problems than it solves.
Car2013 wrote:Anyway. The second think... and the most importante...I saw no changes in my layout..which is a big problem (for me).
The convertor will do nothing for your theme/style; you will need to re-create it manually. Consider this a plus; phpBB is much more flexible when it comes to themes/styles.

In addition, you will need to re-create your forum structure (categories/subforums), smilies, groups, and permissions.
Car2013

Post by Car2013 »

Thanks for answering, Dion.
DionDesigns wrote: You must do #1 on your list, and in addition, you myst go to the new board's ACP, click the forums tab, and then click the "resynchronize" icon next to each forum. If the listed forum contains subforums, after doing the resync, click on the forum and then resync each subforum. This will make the topic/post/view counts appear properly.

I would advise not running the script in #2. I've found that it causes more problems than it solves.
Well. I did that now...testing in one forum and its subforuns. But continue 0 post to everyone.
And remembering that, before I wrote the previous message, I did the procedure #1, on ACP >> Serach Index >> Fulltext native (active).. and that's the image now:
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/18/40/06/56/image110.jpg
DionDesigns wrote: The convertor will do nothing for your theme/style; you will need to re-create it manually. Consider this a plus; phpBB is much more flexible when it comes to themes/styles.

In addition, you will need to re-create your forum structure (categories/subforums), smilies, groups, and permissions.
Oh. That's not good. Anyway. I've created a new topic just for this: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2212781
However, can you tell me if I could do anything to use what I have now...as '.bbtheme' file and CSS page?
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Car2013 wrote:However, can you tell me if I could do anything to use what I have now...as '.bbtheme' file and CSS page?
I decoded the .bbtheme file format a while back and found nothing of any use. Why, you might ask? Because ALL forumotion boards are based on phpBB2, which is what they are running on their servers. The phpBB3, Invision, and PunBB versions are just custom phpBB2 skins. That means the imagesets in the .bbtheme files are not compatible with phpBB3 imagesets.

Assuming you had a "phpBB3" board on forumotion, some parts of your CSS will work on your new phpBB3 board. However, most will probably not -- eToxic (the parent company of forumotion) made many changes to the pseudo-Prosilver "phpBB3" board version, and in addition, they added a number of enhancements which do not exist on your new phpBB3 board.

Sad to say, but you are much better off starting from scratch. The one good thing in this is that much of the phpBB3 DOM should now be familiar to you, and editing your new CSS should be easy.
Car2013

Post by Car2013 »

DionDesigns wrote: I decoded the .bbtheme file format a while back and found nothing of any use. Why, you might ask? Because ALL forumotion boards are based on phpBB2, which is what they are running on their servers. The phpBB3, Invision, and PunBB versions are just custom phpBB2 skins. That means the imagesets in the .bbtheme files are not compatible with phpBB3 imagesets.

Assuming you had a "phpBB3" board on forumotion, some parts of your CSS will work on your new phpBB3 board. However, most will probably not -- eToxic (the parent company of forumotion) made many changes to the pseudo-Prosilver "phpBB3" board version, and in addition, they added a number of enhancements which do not exist on your new phpBB3 board.

Sad to say, but you are much better off starting from scratch. The one good thing in this is that much of the phpBB3 DOM should now be familiar to you, and editing your new CSS should be easy.
Well. It's not a good news, but at least clarifies a little the things. But.. I'm still desperate :o
Anyway, Thanks for your opinion Dion.

By the way, what about my first issue before..about what I did and still continue 0 post. Can you give some help or tips about this?
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Car2013 wrote:By the way, what about my first issue before..about what I did and still continue 0 post. Can you give some help or tips about this?
If you have resynchronized post counts and statistics as described in the instructions, I don't know what to tell you. Can you post the URL to your new board? I could take a quick look at some posts and perhaps see what the problem is.
perez51

Post by perez51 »

Because when I try to convert shows me this error?

Car2013

Post by Car2013 »

DionDesigns wrote:
Car2013 wrote:By the way, what about my first issue before..about what I did and still continue 0 post. Can you give some help or tips about this?
If you have resynchronized post counts and statistics as described in the instructions, I don't know what to tell you. Can you post the URL to your new board? I could take a quick look at some posts and perhaps see what the problem is.

Thanks for your help, Dion.
Well. I can confirm it really didn't work...about the post counts. And dont know what to do. Maybe redo it? I mean..the process of coverting.

Plus... I just wanna ask one more question... and for everybody: If this amazing and very helpful Converter could be done... Do you think it's possible to have or create something similar to copy in the same way, the style files from Forumotion, for example? Is it impossible... or just wasn't created?
Last edited by Car2013 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FireFlight

Post by FireFlight »

Hi again,

Like the updates: login.py and the pagecache is especially nice, but I'm also having the same problem as Perez.

I the think it's a problem with the cookie data. I manually saved COOKIEDATA in members_topics... as the string of cookie data I get from using javascript and managed to get 7 pages of emails before i started to get the connection failed error again. I guess that my workaround has failed somewhere I havent noticed in one of the scripts.
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Car2013 wrote:Well. I can confirm it really didn't work...about the post counts. And dont know what to do. Maybe redo it? I mean..the process of coverting.
I have a suggestion that would help if you decide to repeat the convertor process, but I don't want to post it here because people at eToxic (the parent company of forumotion) read this topic regularly, and they would change their code so my suggestion would no longer work. Please read my signature.
FireFlight wrote:I the think it's a problem with the cookie data. I manually saved COOKIEDATA in members_topics... as the string of cookie data I get from using javascript and managed to get 7 pages of emails before i started to get the connection failed error again. I guess that my workaround has failed somewhere I havent noticed in one of the scripts.
This is a major problem with the convertor. eToxic has made it extremely difficult to export email addresses, and what you described above is what typically happens when running the convertor. I have a suggestion for you as well... ;)
Car2013 wrote:Do you think it's possible to have or create something similar to copy in the same way, the style files from Forumotion, for example? Is it impossible... or just wasn't created?
This was already addressed:
DionDesigns wrote:Assuming you had a "phpBB3" board on forumotion, some parts of your CSS will work on your new phpBB3 board. However, most will probably not -- eToxic (the parent company of forumotion) made many changes to the pseudo-Prosilver "phpBB3" board version, and in addition, they added a number of enhancements which do not exist on your new phpBB3 board.
Having said this, there are many things which the convertor doesn't do that are possible. For example, I have written a script that exports forumotion galleries to Coppermine Gallery, including the images themselves. I have also written a script that exports forumotion board smilies, and enhanced the post convertor so it uses the smiley information to write the proper smiley metadata into the SQL statements. I've also enhanced the forums convertor so it exports the board's structure intact.

However, converting forumotion themes to phpBB3 styles just isn't going to happen.
perez51

Post by perez51 »

They could send the solution by private message?
Car2013

Post by Car2013 »

DionDesigns wrote:I have a suggestion that would help if you decide to repeat the convertor process, but I don't want to post it here because people at eToxic (the parent company of forumotion) read this topic regularly, and they would change their code so my suggestion would no longer work. Please read my signature.
Sure. And I already did a contact through there.
I'll wait.
Thank you.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”