phpBB2 to phpBB3: unknown encoding and subcategories

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Suggested Hosts
aarween

phpBB2 to phpBB3: unknown encoding and subcategories

Post by aarween »

I convert icyphoenix to phpbb 2.0.23 without problems, but now I'm trying to convert to phpbb3 and everytime I got the "General Error - Unknown Encoding".
Using the guides I changed the encoding in language_main_settings (both english and italian folder, that's my language installation), but I couldn't solve the problem. Any ideas how can I solve it?

I've already converted another phpbb2 database to phpbb3, and I've no problems, so I ask me if it's a problem of the icyphoenix conversion.

Another question: in my icyphoenix forum I had subcategories, but in phpbb2 there aren't, so I can't see the posts under sub-categories when I open the forum in phpbb2... any solution?

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: phpBB2 to phpBB3: unknown encoding and subcategories

Post by D¡cky »

aarween wrote:I convert icyphoenix to phpbb 2.0.23 without problems, but now I'm trying to convert to phpbb3 and everytime I got the "General Error - Unknown Encoding".
Using the guides I changed the encoding in language_main_settings (both english and italian folder, that's my language installation), but I couldn't solve the problem. Any ideas how can I solve it?
The convertor looks for language/lang_english/lang_main.php or language/lang_italian/lang_main.php depending on what the default language is for your phpBB2 board. You will need to add these files if they do not exist.
aarween wrote:I've already converted another phpbb2 database to phpbb3, and I've no problems, so I ask me if it's a problem of the icyphoenix conversion.

Another question: in my icyphoenix forum I had subcategories, but in phpbb2 there aren't, so I can't see the posts under sub-categories when I open the forum in phpbb2... any solution?

Are you able to see the subcategories in the Administration Panel under Forums Management. If so, attaching them to a top level category may make them reappear.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”