Sitemap Build Required

For users who wish to pay for specific services from other members.
NOTE: The phpBB team has no responsibility in these services whatsoever. Usage is at your own risk!
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: All contracts and services provided through this forum are at your own responsibility.
The phpBB Teams will NOT deal with disputes resulting from interactions through this forum.
tomoko33

Sitemap Build Required

Post by tomoko33 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 am

Hi there,

Its the old sitemap question once again. I realise that there are some sitemap extensions out there but installing one seems a little out of my grasp and the more I read about some of them the more problems I see folk having until they get the issues sorted out.

I am aware that the big G will pick up my sites topics and data (has already) at some point or another but I want the thought that I have a well structured sitemap in place that I can input into G webmaster tools and feel confident thats nothing being left out and improve my score over all.

So is there anyone out there that can build me a sitemap that will be robust and update every time that new topic is posted etc. I am not expecting a freebie and will be happy to pay an appropriate amount accordingly.

Basically I am on a bit of an SEO hunt :-)

Cheers
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Wanted

janus_zonstraal

Re: Sitemap Build Required

Post by janus_zonstraal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 am

I am aware that the big G will pick up my sites topics and data (has already) at some point or another but I want the thought that I have a well structured sitemap in place that I can input into G webmaster tools and feel confident thats nothing being left out and improve my score over all.
Simple solution, make one with all your categories and your done.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 pm

I use a forked version of the tas2580/sitemap extension. There is no configuration required after installing the extension, point the search engine crawlers at /your_forum_root/sitemap.xml (or /your_forum_root/app.php/sitemap.xml if you don't have mod_rewrite enabled) and it just works. My fork (which has fixed a couple of minor bugs in the original) can be found at: https://github.com/v12mike/sitemap

tomoko33

Post by tomoko33 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:40 pm

A big thank you to all replies. :-) Now its time to see if I can get it working. Thanks again.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:52 pm

a sitemap is not much use for a dynamic site like phpbb that is changing all the time with new posts etc.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Should be pretty useful if the site has it's categories and forums well organised like here on the support forum though.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 pm

a sitemap is most useful if the site is fairly static and the html pages don't change very often.. dynamic sites like phpbb change with every new post and the html pages are created on the fly, they don't exist except in the browser when a viewer accesses them.

I am not saying that a sitemap is no help at all, but just not much to be worth a lot of trouble to create when the next day you will need to edit it again, etc. etc.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

tomoko33

Post by tomoko33 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 am

Ok as I am not intending my site to be static for some time I will not roll with the sitemap right now as items are constantly changing.

Once again I appreciate all the feedback. https://japanesecarblog.com/

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 am

The extension I linked to above is a dynamic sitemap that is generated on-the-fly when the url is interrogated. It updates every time a post is made of deleted. It only maps the phpBB forum posts (and only those that a bot has read access). I have a separate sitemaps for statuc content and another dynamic sitemap for mediawiki.

Good point on adding the sitemap link in robots.txt, then all of the search engines can find it.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:24 am

tomoko33 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 am
I am not intending my site to be static for some time
Why would you have a static phpBB board?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

For those who are not familiar with sitemaps, you can see the one on my forum at: https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/sitemap.xml

The first page is a list of links to a sitemap for each forum that the user is permitted to see.
The subsequent pages are a list of links to each viewforum page followed by a list of links to each viewtopic page in a forum.
The formatting is not pretty, but it is only intended to be read by a bot.

Another member here has kindly submitted some improvements to the extension that I use, and I have just added a 2 minute cache to the database queries to reduce the load on repeated requests. https://github.com/v12mike/sitemap

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:49 pm

As this is moving from a 'paid work' to an 'extension support' topic I am locking it.

Please post any extension support questions in the appropriate topic. Thank you

Return to “Wanted!”