Cleaning Up A Forum DB

For users who wish to pay for specific services from other members.
NOTE: The phpBB team has no responsibility in these services whatsoever. Usage is at your own risk!
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations
READ: Wanted's Forum Rules

NOTE: All contracts and services provided through this forum are at your own responsibility.
The phpBB Teams will NOT deal with disputes resulting from interactions through this forum.
gprimr1

Cleaning Up A Forum DB

Post by gprimr1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Title/Job Description: Clean Up an Upgraded Forum

Target audience: (e.g. professionals, hobbyists, students) professionals

Reward: (e. g. money, backlinks, fame) money

Deadline: asap

Preferred contact method: (e.g. PM, e-mail) PM

Link to the board: https://railroad.net

Detailed description of the tasks: When we inherited this forum, we upgraded from 3.0.11 to 3.2. I did not know you needed to remove AutoMod, and as such there were a few mods that did not get removed. We got the forum cleaned up to the point that it will run, but only in a very limited way. Adding certain extensions, or changing themes, breaks it, producing 5 minute load times, and tons of time outs and MySQL Max User errors.

A member here looked at it and found: I see are non-default tables, implying your board had/has modifications or addons. It could be that they won't hinder upgrading but most likely they will and in order to upgrade without any hassles, the databse needs to be cleaned before upgrading (that implies undoing all database modifications).
It doesn't imply that the data cannot be reintroduced once the upgrade is finshed, but in order to use the data a modification or extension has to be made. Perhaps the extension or modification already exists.
Another thing I noticed immediately is the tabel prefix: phpBB2_ so this is probably something which was used in phpBB2 which I haven't looked at since 3.0 came out (a long time ago)

I think the previous site owners may have installed multiple copies and/or not upgraded a phpbb 2 install correctly as well.

We want to be able to do more with our forum like a better theme, and some other usual mods, but at this point, we can't do anything, and we think the errors are impacting Google Adsense.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Cleaning Up A Forum DB

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 pm

pm sent
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:50 am

Still looking for someone. The site is quite large so we need someone who can work with a large site.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:28 am

Are you sure you are not on the limits of your hosting?
Otherwise I will have a look.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:28 am
Are you sure you are not on the limits of your hosting?
Otherwise I will have a look.
That could be a problem. From what I gather, the database is 5 GB (no idea whether that is the optimised state, if it isn't, check whether your hosting account caters for such a database size).
I received the table definitions on Wednesday so that I could have an investigatory look.
The tables have prefix phpBB2_ so I suspect it is already a board converted from phpBB2 to phpBB3.0.x, which later was upgraded to 3.1 (and to 3.2)
Apparently there where many 3.0 modifications installed with automod (and perhaps also manually) and they weren't removed properly.
So there is quite a number of extra tables. I looked at a few table descriptions and didn't notice anything discomforting at first sight but that was without having performed a proper comparison with a clean version.
The cleaning of the database to an upgradeable 3.2 state is certainly feasible but from what I gather - the purpose is to be able to continue to use the modifications (as extensions or addons) in 3.2.
My suggestion is to restore the database to an unmodified 3.2.x state, keeping the extra tables, and extra fields and modified fields in a seperate database which can be used later to restore the extra functionalities if extensions or modifications (preferably not this) are found or made.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:46 pm

Our server monitoring shows we are all within the green. We did have issues with our previous host but we switched to InMotion which has helped a lot.

But there's still something in those tables that when we apply certain mods, or change the theme and apply Core Frame, it grinds the site to a hault, so there's still something lingering there.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:31 pm

What php version?

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:09 pm

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:17 pm

We do have Maria DB 10.2 and not 10.3.

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:19 am

@Everyone, this is the wanted section, not support. The OP already stated intentions to pay for their request, so please keep the discussion related to that.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

gprimr1

Post by gprimr1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:01 pm

Any takers?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm

pm send

Return to “Wanted!”