Need consultant to install, configure forum for Antique Car Club

For users who wish to pay for specific services from other members.
NOTE: The phpBB team has no responsibility in these services whatsoever. Usage is at your own risk!
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations
READ: Wanted's Forum Rules

NOTE: All contracts and services provided through this forum are at your own responsibility.
The phpBB Teams will NOT deal with disputes resulting from interactions through this forum.
alsancle
Name: Al SanClemente

Need consultant to install, configure forum for Antique Car Club

Post by alsancle »

Title/Job Description:

Consultant for PHPBB Installation. The REO Automobile Club of America currently has a number of forums on different platforms scattered around the internet. They would to setup a single forum with multiple sub forums for the different types and makes with the REO car world. The basic structure they like is demonstrated with the g503 link below. The club would provide the outline of forums they are looking for.

This project would not include data migration from the legacy forums, but that could be something to discuss down the road. It is not a requirement for this project.

Target audience: (e.g. professionals, hobbyists, students)

Car Hobbyists.

Reward: (e. g. money, backlinks, fame)

A paid project.

Deadline:

Would like to make it happen this year.

Preferred contact method: (e.g. PM, e-mail)
PM me.

Link to the board:

Here is a link to their current website: https://reoclub.org/

Here is a link to a forum with a structure they would like to emulate: https://forums.g503.com/

Detailed description of the tasks:

This project is to install and setup a PHPBB forum for the REO club of America. It would include the following tasks:

1. Using CPanel to install the latest PHP forum software. Host would probably be MDD but that is not set in stone.
2. Setup the sub forums per outline provided by the club.
3. Setup administrator and moderator users.
4. Do some basic customization such as the logo and colors.
5. Hopefully be available for support in the future for upgrades.

This would be a paid job and potentially hourly paid support down the road if interested.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: Need consultant to install, configure forum for Antique Car Club

Post by JoshyPHP »

alsancle wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 pm
This project would not include data migration from the legacy forums, but that could be something to discuss down the road.
That's something you'd have to really consider before starting the new installation. Migrating an old forum (an old phpBB forum, or is that another software?) is very different and much easier than merging old data into a new installation. In short, if you don't do it now you probably won't be able to do it later, or at least not easily.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
alsancle

Post by alsancle »

JoshyPHP wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:16 am
That's something you'd have to really consider before starting the new installation. Migrating an old forum (an old phpBB forum, or is that another software?) is very different and much easier than merging old data into a new installation. In short, if you don't do it now you probably won't be able to do it later, or at least not easily.
Good point. They are spread across a bunch of different platforms, none of which are PHPBB as far as I know. My worry is that a project that tried to consolidate all the disparate data would be 100x the effort and cost of a new but empty forum.

thanks,

Al
david63

Post by david63 »

I would add that it would be bordering on impossible to merge several non phpBB boards into one - it is extremely difficult to merge two phpBB boards, and not many have been successful in doing so.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

alsancle wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 pm
Here is a link to a forum with a structure they would like to emulate: https://forums.g503.com/
That's a pretty standard phpBB 3 layout (minus the theme of course). You could possibly do this yourself, but if you would like help, I don't mind providing support. I'll send you a PM so we can discuss specifics.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
alsancle

Post by alsancle »

Thanks for all the responses!

I know the merge would probably be problematic if not impossible depending on the platform. The only one I really cared about if it could be pulled off was this one:

https://reoroyale.freeforums.net/

But since they don't even have an archive mechanism, I'm thinking you would have to screen scrape which feels like a huge deal unless someone has already written a tool.
david63

Post by david63 »

With a board that size it would probably be quicker to just go through picking out what you "need" and copy/paste it into the new board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity »

User hasn't responded to my latest PM and I've taken some additional private work on. Job is still open to other members.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
alsancle

Post by alsancle »

Sorry guys. That was rude of me. You would think I would be able to figure out how to make my private messages go to my emails. I should have closed this last week.

I got a great response from the forum and Mark Hamill responded first, so we ended up engaging with him.

thank you for your help, Al

Return to “Wanted!”