Board migration and upgrade and server optimization

For users who wish to pay for specific services from other members.
NOTE: The phpBB team has no responsibility in these services whatsoever. Usage is at your own risk!
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations
READ: Wanted's Forum Rules

NOTE: All contracts and services provided through this forum are at your own responsibility.
The phpBB Teams will NOT deal with disputes resulting from interactions through this forum.
lochness

Board migration and upgrade and server optimization

Post by lochness »

Title/Job Description: Board migration and upgrade

Target audience: (e.g. professionals, hobbyists, students)

Reward: (e. g. money, backlinks, fame) money, but budget is quite tight.

Deadline: expected to be done once Ubuntu 20 is officially released.

Preferred contact method: (e.g. PM, e-mail) PM is ok

Link to the board: https://www.abretelibro.com/foro/

Detailed description of the tasks:
Board is currently 3.2.8 and having problems with identification (see CAPTCHA thread) after moving the hard way from 3.1.x in a server with php 5 to 3.2.5 in a server with php 7.2. Currently using MySQL 5.7.27.

The task is upgrading to php 3.3, but in a new server with mariaDB 10.4 instead, converting the myISAM tables to InnoDB on the way and switching then to php 7.3.
Backups and database maintenance will need to be configured in the new server as well, with database rotation to limit space taken.
Linode has recently added object storage to their offer and already had block storage. The idea is using one of those, preferably object storage for the file folder and backups.

Other data
Database in server folder occupies now 6.3 Gb, part of the tables, including posts, are myISAM and utf8.
Sphinx is something like 1.5 Gb
Files folder is 35 Gb
Server is a 4 GB RAM, 2 core in Linode with a volume mounted for the backups.
Control panel will be keyhelp, which I've found the best so far for my kind of use. But it limits sftp access in case that's needed besides ssh.
Extensions currently installed to be preserved if possible: Tapatalk, board announcements and Amazon affiliate. We also have mentions.
Auto database backup is installed, but I never had time to properly configure it to store the dumps where I wanted, which wasn't the default folder.

Options
  • The upgrade can be done locally from the 3.2.8 backup if you prefer and then you just sent me the dump so I restore it in the new server with the vanilla 3.3 installation.
  • We have a monthly budget of $25 for the server. $5 of these are reserved for the object or block storage, but I don't mind having the other $20 be split on two smaller servers, having the database in one of them and sphinx in the other or using a smaller server plus a node balancer, if that optimises things. I know Hetzner is cheaper than Linode, but it's either Linode or Upcloud, but Upcloud doesn't have, to my knowledge, object storage.
And of course, you don't need to budget for everything I'm describing here. Just what you feel confortable with. Except the object storage thing, which I haven't investigated yet and, and the server split/load balancing, I've done the rest before (board started as php 2.0 and had to be converted to 3.0 in a local wamp before going back to the lamp server :lol: ).

As you can see, I'm not in a hurry, since Ubuntu 20 is expected to be released in April, so the decission is to be taken late March or early April.
lochness

Re: Board migration and upgrade and server optimization

Post by lochness »

Just to let you know that the upgrade has just been finished. Still working on Sphinx for the search and moving the files folder. So this is mostly done regarding the board now.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Board migration and upgrade and server optimization

Post by Mick »

Don’t forget once you’re satisfied with the work done to lock this topic.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©

Return to “Wanted!”