Need mod/script/extension created to download all-non local images and save/link from local server

For users who wish to pay for specific services from other members.
NOTE: The phpBB team has no responsibility in these services whatsoever. Usage is at your own risk!
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations
READ: Wanted's Forum Rules

NOTE: All contracts and services provided through this forum are at your own responsibility.
The phpBB Teams will NOT deal with disputes resulting from interactions through this forum.
silicuda

Need mod/script/extension created to download all-non local images and save/link from local server

Post by silicuda »

Title/Job Description:

Create extension that will save/download all the content people include from remote servers in their forum posts to local server. Then update the links in the posts to local server.

The purpose of this script is to avoid 404 image links in the future and dead images on the forum.

Target audience: (e.g. professionals, hobbyists, students)

Pros

Reward: (e. g. money, backlinks, fame)

Money

Deadline:

ASAP

Preferred contact method: (e.g. PM, e-mail)

PM

Link to the board:

https://iamaffiliate.com

Detailed description of the tasks:

Create extension that will save/download all the content people include from remote servers in their forum posts to local server. Then update the links in the posts to local server.

The purpose of this script is to avoid 404 image links in the future and dead images on the forum.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Need mod/script/extension created to download all-non local images and save/link from local server

Post by 3Di »

We can discuss this job if you contact me via my signature, indeed.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
v12mike

Re: Need mod/script/extension created to download all-non local images and save/link from local server

Post by v12mike »

You might want to look at my image redirect extension and image harvesting scripts. viewtopic.php?p=15094986#p15094986

I may be available to do paid customisation.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

A certainly, I leave my nomination in favour of v12mike in this case, it seems fair.
Effort saved and author rewarded. :D
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

You may not need an extension if you intend this to be a one-time process only.

If after cleaning up all instances you change phpBB to disallow remote avatars some sort of one-time script should do the trick, something that would retrieve the image perhaps with curl then store the image with a correct name in the /images/avatars/upload folder and updating applicable rows in the phpbb_users table to reference the image name in the user_avatar column. This should also be less expensive.

Remote avatars can also introduce mixed content page errors if you use https. Some browsers will flag these.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. eBook and paper versions available.
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

MarkDHamill wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm
You may not need an extension if you intend this to be a one-time process only.
Please read:
silicuda wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:20 pm
Title/Job Description:

silicuda

Post by silicuda »

It happens often so it would be nice if the extension can run on a cron
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:55 pm
Nah... it should run on real-time, before those links get inserted into the DB and parsed. ;)
silicuda

Post by silicuda »

3Di wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:57 pm
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:55 pm
Nah... it should run on real-time, before those links get inserted into the DB and parsed. ;)
that works too :) so this is what I need :)
please PM and send me a quote on how much this would cost to develop
3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

I already sent you a PM on 17 Jan 2021 17:27 which you read but I got no response at all, however as I said here
3Di wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:15 pm
A certainly, I leave my nomination in favour of v12mike in this case, it seems fair.
Effort saved and author rewarded. :D
I think you should for this specific case contact him without the need for me to re-invent the wheel. :)
v12mike

Post by v12mike »

In designing this type of feature, the first decision that needs to be made is whether to permanently rewrite the links in the posts table in the database, or rewrite them when posts are read. I chose the latter solution as being the safest and least likely to break future phpBB upgrades.

Having made that decision. I honestly think that my existing image redirect extension is as good as anything you could write for serving the locally hosted images.

My image harvesting scripts have not been maintained to the same standard, and would probably need some rework to efficiently run as a crib job, or even in real time.

Contact me directly if you want to proceed with this.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

I'd seriously think about what random image you're storing on your own servers. This process could put you in violation of copyright or other laws (what if the image is of something illegal or repulsive).
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “Wanted!”