I need to translate phpBB, where to start ?

Having a question about translating phpBB3? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB3? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Get Involved
Jabhi

I need to translate phpBB, where to start ?

Post by Jabhi »

I downloaded the British English pack. I saved translated files as UTF-8 without BOM. When opening that file it opens in ANSI encoding, and translated text gets distorted. Then I changed encoding to UTF-8 without BOM, it comes back to normal. What is the problem ?

I changed the 43rd line of language/en/captcha_qa.php.
After saving the file in UTF-8 without BOM it looks correct, like below :

I closed the file and opened again, then it opened in ANSI encoding, like below :

Go phpBB go... Respected : Developers, Supporters.
Qiaeru
Former Team Member

Re: I need to translate phpBB, where to start ?

Post by Qiaeru »

Hey,

Your text editor opens the file in ANSI encoding by default. I suppose it is an option that you need to change in the software settings.

Go to: Settings -> Preferences -> New Document / Open Save Directory

Then: New Document -> Encoding

Check: UTF8 without BOM

Best regards,
Jabhi

Post by Jabhi »

Already configured that, Is there any other configuration I have to as it is a local language ?
Attached the file. When change the encoding to UTF-8 without BOM is appears normally.
My language is produced by a software, which only have UTF-8 configuration (not UTF-8 without BOM). Will it cause problem ?
captcha_qa.php
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Qiaeru
Former Team Member

Post by Qiaeru »

Hey,

Yeah, that's weird, this happens with me too, impossible to keep the right encoding. Try with another text editor, like PSPad. If you continue to have this issue, keep me informed, I would look more deeply! ;)

Best regards,
Jabhi

Post by Jabhi »

How to change format to UTF-8 without BOM in pspad ? There is a log space after translated text. I can't delete it. Any idea ?
Qiaeru
Former Team Member

Post by Qiaeru »

Click on Format, choose you correct option (UTF-8 without BOM or something like that, I don't use PSPad sorry), then save the file by choosing another filename (captcha_qa2.php for example) than the original (captcha_qa.php) to be sure. Now, delete the old file (captcha_qa.php) and rename your new file from captcha_qa2.php to captcha_qa.php.

Best regards,

Return to “[3.0.x] Translations”