Not sure what "Clean name" and "Clean username" mean

Having a question about translating phpBB3? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB3? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Suggested Hosts
leschek

Not sure what "Clean name" and "Clean username" mean

Post by leschek »

I'm trying to translate phpBB 3.1 and I'm not sure what phrase "Clean name" in language/en/acp/extensions.php mean. ('CLEAN_NAME' => 'Clean Name',)

There is also similar 'COLLIDING_CLEAN_USERNAME' => '<strong>%s</strong> is the clean username for:', in language/en/install.php.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Not sure what "Clean name" and "Clean username" mean

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there is no file named extensions.php in phpbb so I have no idea where you got it from.

however, clean username is the username is all lower case instead of the way some people will type it in.

for instance, my username is Lumpy Burgertushie my clean username is lumpy burgertushie.

as to the second one. the english is right there in the file, you just translate what it says to whatever language you are going to.

as to what it means, when you are converting from phpbb2 and you have different users with the same username that is where it will stop the conversion and tell you about it so you can fix the problem.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:there is no file named extensions.php in phpbb so I have no idea where you got it from.
There is, in phpBB 3.1..
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

sorry about that, I missed that part of your post.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for explanation. I finally understand what does it mean.
I'm not sure yet how to translate it, because if I translate it word by word nobody in my country would understand it. So I have one more question:
Is clean name/username phrase introduced by phpBB and would native English speakers who doesn't use phpBB understand it too?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

For "clean" you could use "sanitized" or "purified" or "filtered"...
leschek

Post by leschek »

Thanks Brf, that definitely helped. I translated it as "Basic form of the name".
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

"Normalized" would also be a correct description, although it is a bit too technical for most people I guess. You could also be specific and use "lowercase".
leschek

Post by leschek »

I was thinking about "lowercase", but I thought that people could ask why the name have to be in lowercase, so I decided to use "Basic form of the name".

Return to “[3.0.x] Translations”