Icelandic translation [project]

Having a question about translating phpBB3? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB3? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Anti-Spam Guide
MyraMidnight
Name: Stefanía Reynisdóttir

Icelandic translation [project]

Post by MyraMidnight »

I've been working on a Icelandic language pack for a little while now and gotten pretty far (even done with over half of the install.php)

But of course its alot of work, and would like people to help me out, even if it only means somebody to go over the translation and confirm that it's not weird. I sometimes worry about whatever I translate turning out to be... out of context when put together by the program.

I think it will be worth while to finally producing a finished language pack for Icelandic even if requests for it seem rare (noticed threads about it seem to popped up once a year... ), maybe we could even spread it out to those boards already in place hoping for a proper translation :D

Of course the reason for me starting again with translating this is because Im trying to have a board of my own in that language. But when I start a project, I tend to want to finish it properly as well.

Spjallborð fyrir Íslensku þýðingar verkefnið:
phpBB.myramidnight.com (þetta er á íslenskri hýsingu)

EDIT: Im not going to finish this for 3.0, but currently working on upgrading it to 3.1 and continuing from there :D
Last edited by MyraMidnight on Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GunChleoc

Re: Icelandic translation [project]

Post by GunChleoc »

Since you plan on starting a board, maybe some of the users who join will be willing to help out. You could also run your translation on there and ask your users to flag up any mistakes.

Good luck!
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

GunChleoc wrote:Since you plan on starting a board, maybe some of the users who join will be willing to help out. You could also run your translation on there and ask your users to flag up any mistakes.

Good luck!
Was thinking of doing something like that, I am working on changing my domain names right now, so I might have something up and running tomorrow. I'll edit the first post if possible to add the link to it when ready :D
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

I have a problem though, which I cannot figure out.
How can I install the language pack I'm trying to create? I keep getting an error:
The selected language pack seems to be not valid. Please verify the language pack and upload it again if necessary.

How can I verify it? or is that something I can only do for a completed translation? I could not find any information by searching google, I tried.
(maybe this question should be a special topic...?)
GunChleoc

Post by GunChleoc »

I don't know where that error message is coming from, because I never got it. Maybe the validator tool can help:

https://github.com/nickvergessen/phpbb- ... ge-package

You will need to have an installation of phpBB 3.1.x to run the validator tool. I always set up testing stuff on a local webserver that I run on my computer. I use XAMPP to set that up.
MyraMidnight

Post by MyraMidnight »

Screenshot of my ACP language controls
Screenshot of my ACP language controls
Screenshot_ 29-04-2014.png (30.79 KiB) Viewed 16040 times
I figured out the problem. Its all because of the iso.txt file
whenever I write the local name Íslenska, then it does not display on the list correctly and fails to install.
however if I wrote Islenska (no odd letters) it displayed normaly and installed.

Changed the name on the language pack after install, downloaded, and then I had a iso.txt file that works... feels quite round-about way to get one letter to work.
GunChleoc

Post by GunChleoc »

It should work with the Í, since I have an à in mine.

I expect this is a character encoding issue. Windows uses ANSI, but phpBB uses UTF-8. You can choose your encoding if you use an editor like Notepad+
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Make sure you are only using a proper plain text editor to work on text files, see Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB for some suggestions. Using an inappropriate editor will lead to problems. Text files should be saved with the encoding UTF-8 without BOM.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] Translations”