Dutch [NL] Translation for phpBB3

Having a question about translating phpBB3? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB3? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Get Involved
Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Re: Dutch [NL] Translation for phpBB3

Post by Eelke » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:34 am

robert_waanders wrote: Or in dutch "dat he'j mooi doan!!"

Dutch? More like Twents :lol:

LGoosens

Post by LGoosens » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Eelke wrote:
robert_waanders wrote: Or in dutch "dat he'j mooi doan!!"

Dutch? More like Twents :lol:

I was about to say the exact same thing... :lol:

@robert_waanders: a look at your web site tells me that you are using an old version of the phpBB translation, from before my time as a translator. So while you're giving me credit, you might want to think about updating it. ;)

By the way: I'll be on a six-day vacation trip 'till May 5th, so don't expect me to answer any messages in that time. :twisted:

M@TTY

Post by M@TTY » Fri May 04, 2007 12:48 am

well you did a good job at the 2.X.X versions but still some mistakes were in it.
try to be strict in translating. ta ta 4 now

LGoosens

Post by LGoosens » Sun May 06, 2007 10:38 pm

M@TTY wrote: well you did a good job at the 2.X.X versions but still some mistakes were in it.
try to be strict in translating. ta ta 4 now

The harder you look, the more mistakes you will find. It's one of the laws of the universe. However, I need to remark that the 2.0.x translation was previously maintained by someone else, and in my revisions I might have skipped some errors that were already in there. This time, the translation will be a 100 % mine though. ;) You'll get pure Lennart Goosens Dutch®, I assure you. :razz:

Oosterberg

Post by Oosterberg » Wed May 23, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi,

I'm very glad there's a dutch translation now.
I just dowloaded it from http://phpbb3.phpbbservice.nl/ is this what you made, or is it something else?

greetz Robert

(uit Zutphen, achterhoek, gelderland :lol: :lol: )

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Wed May 23, 2007 12:29 pm

No, that's not the official translation. When finished, that would be available from right here, on the language packs page: http://www.phpbb.com/languages/. Also see http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=527169

LGoosens

Post by LGoosens » Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 pm

Oosterberg wrote:Hi,

I'm very glad there's a dutch translation now.
I just dowloaded it from http://phpbb3.phpbbservice.nl/ is this what you made, or is it something else?

greetz Robert

(uit Zutphen, achterhoek, gelderland :lol: :lol: )
(Deleted comments that were considered to be insulting)
Last edited by LGoosens on Sun May 27, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth » Sat May 26, 2007 3:31 am

I detest this line of comments about the work of other people, who have spent tons of hours under the hood of phpBB 3.0 doing their very best and willing to share their work with other people in the best open source spirit. In stead of posting something like this, you should use the time on producing your own language package or posting some constructive comments where that particular team asked for them.
John Hjorth • Official Danish phpBB language package maintainer and translator
The Danish Olympus & Ascreaus translation projectDanish phpBB support site

Eelke
QA Team

Post by Eelke » Sat May 26, 2007 6:38 am

I agree, let's stick to the facts: it is not the official translation (like I already said), full stop. Let people form their own opinions.

Janmarques

Post by Janmarques » Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 am

RC1 was released, do you have any idea when you will release your first translation for phpBB 3 ?

LGoosens

Post by LGoosens » Sun May 27, 2007 1:57 pm

As I have stated to karlsemple in a PM, I am sorry for making such insulting comments. I hereby apologise for doing so.

The translation will be, just like phpBB itself, finished when it's finished. But... If anyone is interested, I can release a partially finished version every not and then. Anyone interested?

It will at least allow me to receive some useful feedback.

Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant » Sun May 27, 2007 5:39 pm

LGoosens wrote:The translation will be, just like phpBB itself, finished when it's finished.
As mentioned before, this should not be the case. The purpose of the phpBB release candidates is that phpBB, as a whole, can be tested to the full extend... which includes the translations. 2-3 weeks after the RC1 release (so either June 3rd or June 10th), I will be contacting the current language pack maintainers to see how their translation is progressing and to weed out "inactive" translators so the respective language packs can be re-opened for applications if needed.
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag

Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant » Sun May 27, 2007 5:53 pm

LGoosens wrote:(Deleted comments that were considered to be insulting)
I have just been informed about the actual content of this post and I would like to let you know that I do not tolerate such behavior here. As per a recent post of mine in the private translators forum, you should have a professional approach regarding other translators. Making comments such as the one you posted here is an attitude that it simply unacceptable.

I will personally remove you as the Dutch language pack maintainer if you don't change this attitude the moment I press the Submit button in this reply form.
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF » Sun May 27, 2007 6:15 pm

LGoosens wrote:Now, I actually DO own a decent file comparison tool, capable of almost everything I could ever dream of, called BeyondCompare. I decided, however, that I wanted an even better tool, and maybe I'll create it myself (if nobody has yet). I want a tool created specifically for translating phpBB language files, that works better than the built-in option in the phpBB 3 ACP. What I want is something that will allow me to work on my translation any time and for any period of time I would like, preferably accessible through any web browser anywhere in the world. I just need two <textarea>'s, one with the English sentence and one where I can put in the Dutch one. And then I want a button called "Next", so I can just walk through the files sentence by sentence, without having to do anything - like selecting another line etc. - myself. And then, finally, I want it to save my progress.

Is there anything like this available?
Please tell me if there is and I will start right away!
Actually, there is. I wrote it about a year ago.

It's not entirely bug free, but it helped us a great deal finishing our (Dutch) translation right after the release of RC1. But I wish you all the luck with yours (a collaboration is welcome too).

LGoosens

Post by LGoosens » Sun May 27, 2007 11:15 pm

I would really like to apologise for hurting anyone's feelings. By using the one word "rubbish" my attitude got unprofessional. As I have already explained twice to different persons, this will not happen again. I do think, however, that it is a bit unfair to judge a post by its original contents AFTER it was modified to correct the problem, and I also do not deem any of the above threats to be necessary. Again, I am very sorry for making such insulting comments.

As for the release date of the language pack: I for one would not expect anyone to abide by deadlines if I were not paying them for it. Although I still think that my translation "will be finished when it is finished", I could have been somewhat more accurate in my wordings: it won't take decades. I can't give any assurances that it will be done by June 3rd or even June 10th, for there are (unfortunately) responsibilities that take precedence. I am well aware of the fact that the Dutch translation is directed towards a potential 23 million users (in The Netherlands, Belgium and ex-colonies), and this will only make me work harder to get the job done sooner.
I have taken over the job from some one else back in 2006 because I hated the fact that there had not been any updates on the translation for a long while. Since, I tried to always update my translation within a few days maximum.
I am very precise, and I am not going to rush things - quality over speed.

Now, there is some very important business I'd like to get out of the way as soon as possible.
Whilst translating phpBB, I found some wordings, that stem form the stone age of phpBB, to be inaccurate or confusing. Therefore, I want to make some big changes to some key conceptions of the forum (well, I mean their translations). This, however, will have a massive impact on those 23 million people. Well, it might just meet a lot of hate or a lot of love on its way to being accepted.

Here is a list of wordings I would like to change and why I would like to. The format is:
English wording - Dutch wording
Reason

Board - Forum
Forum (Forums in plural) - Forum or Subforum (Fora or subfora in plural)
Subforum - ?
In English, the web site containing forums, running on forum software such as phpBB, is most often referred to as "board" (or sometimes forums, plural form). In Dutch, the board is often simply called forum (in English too, by the way), but this is confusing since a forum is (in English) used to refer to only one section of the board. Using the English definition, one board consists of several forums.
I made a big mistake when - inconsistently even - referring to those sections as "Subfora" (Subforums in Dutch) in some revision of my phpBB 2.0.x translation. Guess what? phpBB 3 has a new function called subforums, rendering my previous definition a bit... confusing as well.
Therefore, I propose to find some new Dutch word for "board" or simply keep the current wording "forum". There is no Dutch word for "(bulletin) board" in this context however, or at least to my knowledge.
Anyway I would like to use the English definition of Forums and Subforums as much as possible.

Board index - Forumindex
This is not a very good translation in my opinion. Since I'm translating phpBB 3 from scratch, I want to rethink this. An index, in Dutch, is not really used to refer to a "home" page (just a large list of words in the last pages of a book), and can be a bit confusing. Simply making this "home" (which is an accepted, adopted English word in Dutch) would be better, or perhaps "Hoofdpagina" (Main page in Dutch).

Topic/Thread - Onderwerp
I think this is a bit confusing as well. By translating Thread as "Onderwerp" (Subject in Dutch) we end up, in some places in the translations, with "the subject's subject". I'd prefer something like "Discussie" (Discussion in Dutch), or a better synonym. Anyone with me?

I just want to know whether you (as in you Dutch people) all agree with me, to prevent making big changes like this (that effects most sentences and conceptions used on the forum in fact) that other people might hate me for. I think, however, that it will make forums a more accessible place for a lot of people that are new to this kind of thing. I might add to this list in the future, but will do so in a new post as well as in this one.

Now I'm going to sleep some by the way, for it is far past midnight and I have just spent too much time on the computer for it to be anything remotely similar to healthy...

Cheers,
Lennart Goosens. ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] Translations”