Font name in prosilver buttons

Having a question about translating phpBB3? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB3? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Ideas Centre
ESQARE
Translator

Font name in prosilver buttons

Post by ESQARE » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:24 am

What the name of font used in prosilver buttons? My problem like at this topic. I'm using Myriad and Arial font in photoshop, but i cant making correct letters. Anyone can help me?

SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Re: Font name in prosilver buttons

Post by SHS` » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:47 pm

It should be Helvetica Neue 75 Bold (http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=201473) and Helvetica Neue 55 Roman (http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=201471).

edit by dhn: This are the correct fonts! We apologise for the misleading information before. :)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信

Acyd Burn
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Meik Sievertsen

Post by Acyd Burn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Moved to this forum for translators to easily find it. ;)

ESQARE
Translator

Post by ESQARE » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:58 pm

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:27 pm

So I take it there was a change of plan from the statement dhn made on a51??
dhn wrote: The new style will also use freely available fonts for the buttons to make internationalisation quick, cheap, and easy.

While I understand its your style and you can choose what you feels best suited to it, but thought the move to a free font would welcomed by the community.

SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:42 am

poyntesm wrote: So I take it there was a change of plan from the statement dhn made on a51??

While I understand its your style and you can choose what you feels best suited to it, but thought the move to a free font would welcomed by the community.

Firstly, a phpBB with prosilver bundled hasn't been released, nor has the prosilver SDK. People asked what font was used for the current images... and you got what you asked, Helvetica Neue. ;)

However, the SDK will most probably use Arial (Arial Unicode MS is a good match at the sizes used in prosilver, with a bit of Photoshop font/weight tweaking).

Still, if those doing localised imagesets really want to use Helvetiva Neue (and its Cyrillic & Greek variants, if applicable), they are welcome too. Still, scripts like Arabic, Han (Hanzi (in-Chinese)/Kanji (in-Japanese)/Hanja (in-Korean)/Hán Tự (in-Vietnamese Chữ Nôm)), Hiragana/Katagana, Hangul, Ethiopic, et cetera, will need to have a suitable font found.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信

dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn » Sun May 20, 2007 1:07 pm

As per my announcement, Arial is simply a shameless copy of Helvetica. We didn't use Arial because Helvetica in the end gives you more flexibility and looks cleaner. But the difference is neglectable to untrained eyes and it will look almost the same.

Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail » Tue May 22, 2007 11:16 am

Indeed, Arial is a poor clone but it's even available on Macintosh nowadays. I wish Tom had considered using a free font, preferable OpenType font, instead of a commercial one. Both Helvetica and Arial are licensed, even though the latter is very common. There are hundreds of quality OTF fonts available, here's just a selection:
http://www.alvit.de/blog/article/20-bes ... cial-fonts

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!

Return to “[3.0.x] Translations”