Set notify flag default for entire forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Set notify flag default for entire forum

Post by Mick »

alex4orly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:55 amI am new here, just installed phpBB3 about 10 days ago
But you had a board installed in 2018.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
alex4orly
Name: Alex Evans

Post by alex4orly »

Yes, a failed attempt
Today,I started from scratch

Cheers
Alex
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you need support for the extensions that have been suggested ask in the extensions discussion area. If it's 3rd party and not available here ask on their site.

alex4orly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:03 am 2) I also want to use the forum as a replacement to mass mail-outs so that I know that all the members got the message.
One thing you can do is send a mass PM to a group. (e.g registered user group) and global announcement. Ask them to check the box for replies in their UCP, you can also ask them to check the box for administrative emails. phpBB does have mass email function but AFAIK it requires the user to have that checked.

Just a side note, the "Notify me when a reply is posted" is only half of it and will not necessarily create a email notification. They also need the type of notification set under notification settings where they have a choice of board notification when they log in, email or both.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

alex4orly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:01 am This is RC Model airplane club
When the Club President wants to notify members of a club meeting, what are the options?

Thanks
Alex
Mass email, group PM, Global announcement, dedicated forum or topic.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
david63

Post by david63 »

... snail mail!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Mass email, group PM, Global announcement, dedicated forum or topic.
Hi Steve

So, let me understand:
1) To execute any of those options, can it only be done by the Forum Administrator (Me)? or can a Moderator do that? I need to provide the Club's President the functionality to broadcast a message to the members, without the need to involve me in that.
2) Is there an explanation somewhere how to do any of them?
3) It is something that I don't need for any member to subscribe to, most of the members will not do it
4) It is something that members CAN NOT opt out from, otherwise this can't be used

Thank you
Alex
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

1) Anybody can do anything you give them permission to. You can give Moderators as few or many Administrative permissions as you want. It's not all or nothing. You may wish to read this - phpBB3 Permissions

2) See the above AND, most importantly, THE DOCUMENTATION

3) Members do not have to subscribe for any of the options I listed

4) Members cannot opt out from receiving PMs from administrators or moderators. The only option I gave that can be opted out from is eMail form Admins.

May I respectfully suggest that you spend a little more time with the documentation?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hello again

Thanks again for your feedback. I do read the docs, but being new to all this, I have a long way to go..

Is any of the options a preferred method for what I described? In your opinion.

Cheers
Alex
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

I would use a dedicated topic (sticky) or forum. If they don't visit the board, they aren't coming to events anyway.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Sorry, you are using here two new terms not mentioned earlier, what are those?
Also, visiting the forum or not is not part of the equation. When the club wants to notify the entire membership of something, like change in membership fees for example, all members should get the message.
So, what will be best to use in this scenario

Cheers
Alex
david63

Post by david63 »

If you have to notify all members about something without them visiting the board then as far as I can see there are three options

1. Mass email
2. Use a mailing list application
3. Snail mail

Bear in mind that there is no guarantee that any form of email will be delivered nor any guarantee that the member will read it.

How do you notify them now?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

alex4orly wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 am Sorry, you are using here two new terms not mentioned earlier, what are those?
The only new term I see in that post would be "sticky".
But that's not exactly a difficult one to find.

In Support there are 2 main areas (Documentation and Knowledge Base) which should be your first fallback (actually your foundation).

Just to save time: a "sticky" is a topic which "sticks" near the top of the topiclist in a forum. Announcements are another type of topic and these are even positioned above stickies. Announcements and Stickies will always be at the top of the topiclist (irrespective of topic sort order).

There is 1 term which is slightly ambiguous: forum.
Generally the word forum is used in the sense of board but a forum is actually a kind of container. And there are different types of forums: Category , forum, subforum (and even deeper >>> subsubforum but that term is seldom used).
A category is a forum that has no parent (on phpBB.com : General, Support Forums, Extensions Forums, etc...).

Have a look at some commonly used terms

As to the best scenario: If there's a best, there's usually an even better one.
It's your board so you decide on how to inform your members but don't overdo it: you can set notifications for many things but constant mails or constant flashing board notifications end up being an irritation (unless it's to mention that the membership fee has been reduced or even forfaited).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

Hello warmweer,

Much appreciated, thanks.
As this is a new Forum, I am starting very modest at this point, probably over time there will be some additions, but considering the size of the club group, that will not be much.

Please have a look here : https://nmaa-rc.org.au/phpBB3/

The main issue at the moment is notifications to members, so I see no reason for announcements, nor for sticky notes. Notices MUST be pushed out to the members, no depending on if they visit the forum or not.

So, back to my main question, is it better to do with Global PM's or with Mass Mailiout? What is actually the difference between those two?

I have another problem. Even if I am logged into the forum (the board), if I try viewing a topic, it prompts me again to log in, how can I avoid this?

Have a nice day
Alex
alex4orly

Post by alex4orly »

david63 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 am If you have to notify all members about something without them visiting the board then as far as I can see there are three options

1. Mass email
2. Use a mailing list application
3. Snail mail

Bear in mind that there is no guarantee that any form of email will be delivered nor any guarantee that the member will read it.

How do you notify them now?
Hello David,

I send you a PM with the members csv file, this is a major holding back point to me, have you received it?

At - BEFORE we have a BB, the Club Presidents does a mailout to all members (this is using a mailing list application), but I want to encourage people to visit the website, that's how the BB forum idea came about. So, I hope we can do it by using phpBB3 instead. I will try to find out how to use the Mass mail in phpBB3.

I wonder about your comment "There is no guarantee..." why?

Please let me know about the csv file, I am kind of stuck now

Cheers
Alex
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

alex4orly wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 am So, back to my main question, is it better to do with Global PM's or with Mass Mailiout? What is actually the difference between those two?
PM = private message so your users will have to access the board to read those.
alex4orly wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 amI have another problem. Even if I am logged into the forum (the board), if I try viewing a topic, it prompts me again to log in, how can I avoid this?
Had a quick look at you board and didn't see anything wrong with your cookie settings. (could be your browser settings).
Provide a test account if you want someone to test it.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”