Ipad Photo Upload to phpBB possible?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
UrbanJ68

Ipad Photo Upload to phpBB possible?

Post by UrbanJ68 »

Problem: I can't seem to figure out how to attach a photo straight from my iPad to my phpBB site without getting ERROR:
[File too large: E4FFD1CB-A338-40C5-8D59-01B4F0CC2233.jpeg)

I have tried the following:
1. Change quality to 85 as seen here - 'resize: {width: %d, height: %d, quality: 85},',

2. I have tried to change max resolution here - {$resize = ''; if ($this->config['img_max_height'] > 700 && $this->config['img_max_width'] > 700)

Two questions:

1. What am I missing?
2. What change could be made to accomplish my goal?
3. Where can I access this information so I don't have to waste anyone's time. (Is there a manual I am missing?)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
pit-PL

Re: Ipad Photo Upload to phpBB possible?

Post by pit-PL »

Go to ACP > Posting > Manage attachment extension groups and set Maximum file size.
UrbanJ68

Post by UrbanJ68 »

I'm sure this is basic but this is what I see. When the file is directly uploaded from iPad, it says the file size is 4.1MB, but when it is shown "previewed" inline, it says it the picture is 219.16 KiB.

Question: Is the file, that is actually loaded saved on my server 4.1 MB in size, or will phpBB actually REDUCE the file before it is saved down to 219.16?
If it saves the 4.1 MB, my server is going to fill up REAL QUICK!

Thanks in advance!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you go into ACP >> posting tab >> attachment settings link on left. You'll find a setting for Maximum image dimensions:.

phpBB uses plupload and as long as JS is enabled on the browser it will resize images client side to fit within those dimensions. The file size listed on attachment panel is reflective of the file size after it's been resized.

1500px for both is adequate but you could go higher. 1500*1500 will require about 300 to 400KB and that includes a fairly large thumb.

Set the max file size larger than that especially if you want to allow uploading of files that may be large. .png's for example will be much larger file size. 1 or 2MB at least. You can also set file size limits on individual file groups.

ACP >> posting tab >> Manage attachment extension groups >> Click the little green icon next to extension group.

2. I have tried to change max resolution here - {$resize = ''; if ($this->config['img_max_height'] > 700 && $this->config['img_max_width'] > 700)
You don't need to do this as it's set using instructions above. You can however change the quality as you did in number one.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”