Attachments Not Displaying Inline

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Mulsiphix

Attachments Not Displaying Inline

Post by Mulsiphix »

NOTE: I have given up on working this problem. I no longer am requesting support.

I just started using the Attachments features for uploading images to my board two days ago. I visited a post that had inline images today and not a single attached image was displaying. Information related to the attachment is, but not the image itself.

I tried the following steps, but the issue remains and is board wide. Any ideas?:
  1. Purging the cache
  2. Purging all sessions
  3. Deleting the entire contents of the cache folder
  4. Cleaning all data in my browser
  5. Refreshing the page in question using Ctrl+F5
  6. Tried accessing the page in another browser
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Re: Attachments Not Displaying Inline

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Have you made any changes?

Update to 3.2.9?

If so, and your style is not prosilver, is it updated to 3.2.9?

For example, about posting_attach_body.html inline attach file...
https://gist.github.com/marc1706/a1095a ... -L243-L259
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Permissions?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Premium extensions @ The Studio

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix »

• I have not even worked on my forum in a few days.

• I do not use prosilver. I use a custom style. However, I switched to prosilver the other day, and several hours later I switched back to my non-prosilver style.

• Beyond the theme switching, I haven't even been in the ACP during the time this attachments change occurred.

• I have not messed with files on my FTP, so I'm not sure how file permissions could have changed.

• I haven't changed any forum permissions through the ACP.

• I am now seeing the update notice in the ACP, but I have not updated my forum yet.

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Mulsiphix wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:38 pm
  • I am now seeing the update notice in the ACP, but I have not updated my forum yet.
I'm lost, you didn't update but ask questions about update...
viewtopic.php?f=661&t=2534991
viewtopic.php?f=661&t=2534996

It's just curiosity, since if nothing has been "modified", it should work fine.
But after so much line in your previous answer, it does not indicate the version of phpBB used in your forum, for example...

Best regards.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate with Image

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix »

Raul [ThE KuKa] wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:56 pm
I'm lost, you didn't update but ask questions about update...
Today I decided to go ahead and update. I figured I needed to get it done and maybe it might even fix my issue. Unfortunately I couldn't get the update process to work. If I can't sort out the problems that are keeping me from even accessing my v3.3 forum, I will just revert to v3.2.8 and everything documented up to this point will still be valid and accurate. But yes, I have since, posting the above post, decided to update my forum to v3.3.
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix »

Raul [ThE KuKa] wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 pm
Have you made any changes? Update to 3.2.9?
I have successfully updated my forums to v3.3 and they are working fine now. Unfortunately this problem still remains unchanged.

Raul [ThE KuKa] wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 pm
If so, and your style is not prosilver, is it updated to 3.2.9?
No, the style I am using is for v3.2.7. It was working fine when I was using v3.2.8. For the sake of troubleshooting this problem, I have switched to the phpBB v3.3 version of prosilver and deactivated all other custom styles.

3Di wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:28 pm
Permissions?
I followed this update guide exactly. Most of my files were replaced with new ones. However, just to be perfectly certain, I used my FTP client to change all file permissions. If you are curious, this is what I did specifically:

First Set... (recursively)
1. 644 - All Files
2. 755 - All Directories

Then Set... (not recursively)
3. 777 - files directory
4. 777 - cache directory
5. 777 - store directory
6. 777 - images/avatars/upload directory

I haven't changed any forum permissions through the ACP. Regardless, if there is a permission in there that might create this issue with attachments, could you let me know what it is so that I can check on it?

Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

3Di wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:28 pm
Permissions?
Marco a.k.a. 3Di I think it refers to phpBB permissions, forums, forum groups, etc.

Go to ACP - Permissions - Group forum permissions

Look up usergroup and click on Submit button.

Select your forum and click on Submit button.

Click on Advanced Permissions

Click on Content tab and verify this:
Can attach files - Yes
Can use BBCode - Yes
Can use [img] BBCode tag - Yes

Test please...

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix »

Raul [ThE KuKa] wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm
Click on Content tab and verify this:
Can attach files - Yes
Can use BBCode - Yes
Can use [img] BBCode tag - Yes

Test please...
Permissions are YES for all that you mentioned. The only part that is not YES is "Can use [flash] BBCode tag". Something I didn't mention earlier is that this is also happening for the Admin account, which has all permissions forum wide set to YES.

Further Notes
  1. I have the correct setting for FileZilla, so files with no extension are not transfered in ASCII mode.

2. New attachments created on the forum do not display; not in the preview window before submitting the post, or afterwards.
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix »

During the 3.2 to 3.3 update process I deleted almost all of the files on my forum. They were replaced with brand new 3.3 files, which must mean that the Attachments problem I am having is related to a setting or complication in the Database, right? That makes sense to me. But...

Today I figured out 01-02-2020 was the first day I used the Attachments feature. I replaced my forum with the backup right before the fist post using attachments was made. So there are no files in the files folder. I then forgot to change the database. So 01-02-2020 files with the 01-10-2020 database. Initially the old images showed up, but after deleting the contents of the cache folder, all images showed broken placeholders. However,adding new attachments works.
  1. Does this confirm my problem lies in phpBB files, and has zero to do with database settings?

2. Because this works, and I don't remember making an file edits between 01-02-2020 and 01-10-2020, is there any reason I cannot simply use the latest database with the older file backups? It seems like an easy fix :roll:.

Note: Right before updating I created a test forum to perform the update on. I wanted to see if 3.3 would fix the issue and when it didn't I went back to actively posting only in the 3.2.8 forum. So this question is for 3.2.8 files and a 3.2.8 database. Not 3.2.8 files and a 3.3. database.

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix »

I just wasn't able to figure this out on my own. So I've given up and reverted my forum to a previously unbroken time.
  1. Restored an old backup (01-01-2020).
  2. Used the most up-to-date version of my 3.2.8 database before the Attachments functionality was first used (01-04-2020).
  3. Suspended forum access on 01-12-2020.
  4. Painstakingly analyzed all content changes to forum (PMs, new threads, post edits) and replicated them to 01-07-2020 database, via the forum (not in phpMyAdmin).
  5. Used phpMyAdmin to modify all dates of new content to properly model the timeline of their original postings.
  6. Used KDiff3 to analyze all changes to files between 01-01-2020 and 01-07-2020 (quite a bit actually).
  7. Cloud hosted all images that were previously attachments and edited posts to insert them properly.
  8. Disabled Attachments in the ACP to prevent use. Added info telling people how to use cloud hosting service.
  9. Opened forums back up.
Thankfully I have only a handful of users right now and forum activity was relatively low. I only had to replicate 6 PMs, 24 new threads, and 7 post edits. It could have been a lot worse compared to general forum activity.

Attachments do work perfectly. But the way they broke leaves me afraid to use them ever again. I figure if you fine folks cannot help me :D, then the feature is simply too unstable or unreliable to implement :shock:

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”