Differences between "Contact email address" and "From email address" in the ACP?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
-=ET=-

Differences between "Contact email address" and "From email address" in the ACP?

Post by -=ET=- »

Hi,

In the ACP > Email settings we have those 2 fields:
Contact email address:
This address will be used whenever a specific contact point is needed, e.g. spam, error output, etc. It will always be used as the From and Reply-To address in emails.
From email address:
This will be used as the from address on all emails, the technical contact email address. It will always be used as the Sender address in emails.
But what's exactly the differences, the specificities of each of them?

They seem both used to send emails, notifications and the email addresses both being used as From.
So is the difference only that for notifications sent using the "Contact email address:" the address is also set as Reply-To? Am-I wrong or is there anything else?

And where can we get the list of notifications using one or the other email address?

Thanks! :)
Eternal newbie
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Re: Differences between "Contact email address" and "From email address" in the ACP?

Post by MGadAllah »

I am interested as well to know the differences.
Till who knows the right answer replies, why not to test it by set different email address on a test environment?
Would you like to know more about ISLAM ?
EA117

Re: Differences between "Contact email address" and "From email address" in the ACP?

Post by EA117 »

The phpBB "Contact name:" and "Contact email address:" configuration probably provides all of the control you're assuming "the phpBB board contact email configuration" should control.

Meaning, this is what provides the "From:" and "Reply-To:" email address for emails sent by phpBB, and is who the email recipient will see the email is "from" and will be "replying to" if they hit their reply button. And it's the email address that phpBB uses as the "Contact Us" email address on the actual phpBB site, if you have the phpBB "Contact Us" option enabled.

The phpBB "From email address:" configuration, on the other hand, is the more technical and "behind the scenes" one. Which you may or may not ever require to be different than the "Contact email address:" configuration.

This configuration provides the SMTP header "Sender:" and "Return-Path:" email address. Meaning it controls the SMTP header's indication of "what email account is actually sending this email", even if that's different than the account already specified by the "From:" and "Reply-To:" addresses.

The phpBB "From email address:" configuration is also the address which will be used if you have enabled "Force from email address:". i.e. When you are using the PHP mail() function instead of having phpBB talk directly to an SMTP server, and you want to override the envelope sender that the PHP mail() function will otherwise default to on your server.
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

HI EA117,

Thanks for your answer!
Let me rephrase and you'll tell me if I understood correctly.

So what you're saying is "Contact email address:" is used for ALL emails/notifications sent by phpBB.
It's the email address visible for the "From:" as well as "Reply-To:" entries.
Example: it could be admin@myWebsite.com, webmaster@myWebsite.com or noreply@myWebsite.com

"From email address:" is only used in 2 cases:
1/ if we use the SMTP sending method and want the emails to be sent via another mailbox than the "Contact email address:" one (the"Contact email address" could then just be a redirection/forwarding address with no mailbox behind). The emails would then be sent via this "From email address:" mailbox as coming from the "Contact email address:".
Example: emails/notifications sent via the postmaster@myWebsite.com mailbox/account as coming from admin@myWebsite.com
2/ if we enabled "Force from email address:", it will more or less do the same when we use the PHP mail() function: send from "From email address:" as "Contact email address:".

Is that correct?
Can someone from the phpBB team confirm as well?

Thanks!
Eternal newbie
EA117

Post by EA117 »

-=ET=- wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 am
"From email address:" is only used in 2 cases:
I would have phrased that as "From email address:" is important in two cases, but your interpretation is correct. I just mean to confirm that "From email address:" is "always used", and must be specified.

It's "in those two cases" where you might set "From email address:" to something different than the address you've also set for "Contact email address:". Otherwise, you're setting "From email address:" to the same address as you specified in "Contact email address:".

phpBB always uses the "From email address:" setting's value, regardless of whether you're using SMTP or PHP mail(). So it's not "only used" in specific scenarios from phpBB's perspective; it's "always used."
-=ET=-

Post by -=ET=- »

Ok. Well noted. Thanks!
Eternal newbie

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”