White screen upon login after upgrade from 3.2.8 to 3.3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DJBenz

White screen upon login after upgrade from 3.2.8 to 3.3

Post by DJBenz »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.0
What is your board's URL? https://www.horrordna.com/_forum/
Who do you host your board with? BoomHost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.8
What extensions do you have installed? Facebook-style Likes (can't remember the exact name of the extension)
What styles do you currently have installed? Cynthia
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Used automatic update package from 3.2.8 to 3.3.0
Please describe your problem. White screen after update. ACP and board is inaccessible.
Generated by SRT Generator

So I've just run through an upgrade from 3.2.8 to 3.3.0 using the Automatic Upgrade Package. I've done this many, many times before with no issues.

Ran through the update tonight and upon being redirected back to the ACP I had a blank white screen. No amount of refreshing gets the forum back. I figured maybe it was due to the template (Cynthia) that I was using, as it is no longer supported although it still works. I modifed default_style in PHPMyAdmin to 1 to set it back to the default template. No luck.

I moved all files into a different folder and dropped a fresh install package for phpbb3 into the forum root, connecting it to the original database. Hurrah! a login screen. However, once I log in it drops back to the white screen and I can't access anything.

EDIT: Just had a php warning

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/gfksx/ThanksForPosts/notification/thanks.php on line 109: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/gfksx/ThanksForPosts/notification/thanks.php on line 109: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Doesn't explain why it's not working with a fresh install though.

Any ideas welcome.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: White screen upon login after upgrade from 3.2.8 to 3.3

Post by Brf »

We do not recommend the Automatic package for Upgrades.
In any case, you are supposed to disable all of your extensions before doing any Update or Upgrade.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

rename ThanksForPosts folder in the ext folder and than you can enter your board normally
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
DJBenz

Post by DJBenz »

Brf wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:37 pm
We do not recommend the Automatic package for Upgrades.
Then why provide them?
In any case, you are supposed to disable all of your extensions before doing any Update or Upgrade.
Any way I can recover my forum? I still get a white screen if I drop a fresh package into forum root and connect the old database.
janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:40 pm
rename ThanksForPosts folder in the ext folder and than you can enter your board normally
Thanks for the suggestion. It stopped the PHP error, but now I just have white screen.
janus_zonstraal

You can try to install the latest version from thanks
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2423931
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

DJBenz wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:18 am
Then why provide them?
They don’t, it’s called auto update not auto upgrade. The recommended method is file replacement.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
DJBenz

Post by DJBenz »

Mick wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:28 am
DJBenz wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:18 am
Then why provide them?
They don’t, it’s called auto update not auto upgrade. The recommended method is file replacement.
OK, so back to the original question, is there any way to restore the forum seeing as even a fresh vanilla copy still goes to white screen after logging in?
janus_zonstraal

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 am
Did you try this?
DJBenz

Post by DJBenz »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 am
janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:17 am
Did you try this?
Hi Janus,

Thank you for at least trying to help.

I haven't tried this yet as I can't even access the ACP once logged in, but I will try once I get some kind of working access.
Last edited by DJBenz on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
janus_zonstraal

Just upload the extension, with ftp
DJBenz

Post by DJBenz »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 am
Just upload the extension, with ftp
I'll try, but I think it's related to cookies. I can deactivate the extension in my database and it makes no difference.

OK, so at the moment I have a working forum with no extensions or templates, restored from a database backup taken yesterday. Back at 3.2.8 before the mess started.

I made a completely fresh install of 3.2.8 with a new database, dropped the tables and then imported my old database with users & posts.

Every time I log in, the forum link in the browser redirects to something like: https://www.horrordna.com/_forum/index. ... d65c0da97a

I'm guessing something to do with SSL/Cookies.

I've run through the steps here to try and fix cookie settings, but turning on or off ssl via the cookie.php file doesn't help.

I'm kinda stumped here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Your cookies are fine.

I don’t know if using an underscore in the board folder name is anything to do with it but supposedly it was like that previously and ok?

I see you’re using Cloudflare, try disabling that and clearing the Cloudflare, board and browser caches.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
DJBenz

Post by DJBenz »

Mick wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am
Your cookies are fine.

I don’t know if using an underscore in the board folder name is anything to do with it but supposedly it was like that previously and ok?

I see you’re using Cloudflare, try disabling that and clearing the Cloudflare, board and browser caches.
Hi Mick,

Thanks for that. Seems it was some of my out of date extensions and template causing issues. Thanks to janus_zonstraal, (s)he was able to help me through it and it's all up and running now with the board upgraded to 3.3.0

Yeah, have always had an underscore in the board folder name and it's never been an issue. In fact, it may have helped to stop spambots finding the forum as I've never had terrible problems with spam registrations (a few here and there, but nothing like what some complain of).

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”