ChinaGal wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 am
As I came over to phpBB recently from working with a different bb software, I have been making some notes of small configuration issues I can't seem to overcome. So I have been building a housekeeping list of these issues and will list them all below in this one post. None of them are perhaps related to one another, but I didn't want to take up a lot of everyone's time be creating a separate post for each of my 6 questions below. So here goes:
Most of the answers to these questions can be found in The User Guide
1. For a basic setup, just allow them access to the forums you want crawled (group forum permissions)
2. Don't lock the forum, just give write access to the Admins only
3. AFAIR the groups or groups/forum permissions can be used to restrict that feature to Admins
4. Same thing (I think) in the sense that general permission can be granted , and then restricted for certain groups using the permission system, only giving Allow attachments permissions to the Admins
5. That can be done with some css editing (take note that this changes the size but not the number of characters which can be input, which is also limited by the database field)
6. You can use the permission system (Newly Registered Groups) to restrict access to certain forums. Once they have reached a postcount (which you can define) they are automatically removed from the New Registered Group and those restrictions will be gone. For more option there's the Auto Groups extensions but you need to familiarise yourself with the basics of the permission system first.
BTW ranks have no influence on permissions at all, it's a pure cosmetic thing.
I realise this is a (too short) answer which probably doesn't give enough information, but start by reading the User guide, specifically the permission system and experiment with that (be sure to investigate permission mask which will help in identifying any conflicting permission setting).
For further guidance I feel it would be better to use the Support forum and 1 post for each issue (otherwise the posts will be too long for easy reading (and contain too much information).
Yep david63 also beat me to it (by a mile even).