Some Questions On Configuring phpBB

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ChinaGal

Some Questions On Configuring phpBB

Post by ChinaGal »

As I came over to phpBB recently from working with a different bb software, I have been making some notes of small configuration issues I can't seem to overcome. So I have been building a housekeeping list of these issues and will list them all below in this one post. None of them are perhaps related to one another, but I didn't want to take up a lot of everyone's time by creating a separate post for each of my 6 questions below. So here goes:

1 - When you put your site online do you need to do anything to get the bots to start crawling your site other than submit it to Google and Bing via webmaster tools?

2 - Is there a way to lock a forum, but still allow Admins to be permitted to create new posts within that particular forum? Or do admins still need to unlock the forum first each time first before they can add a new post to a locked forum?

3 - Under "Post Settings", if you have "Allow links in posts/private messages" set to no, is there a way to enable Admins to still be permitted to post links in posts?

4 - Under "Board Features" if you have "Allow attachments" set to no, is there a way to enable Admins to still be permitted to add attachments in posts?

5 - I feel that the standard post subject box within posts is a bit narrow and small for our purposes, which may often have long subject titles. Is there way to increase the size somehow through an ACP setting or via an already existing extension perhaps?

6 - Is there a way to configure a forum to be accessible by a member only after the member has made a certain number of posts? Since Member Groups are not based on number of posts made, then by setting Forum permissions according to Member Groups doesn't seem to work for this. Ranks are based upon number of member posts made, but with Forum permission settings you can only set by Member Groups and not by Ranks. Is there perhaps another good possible solution for this?

Thank you kindly for your time and any possible insight you may be able to offer into any of my above queries.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Some Questions On Configuring phpBB

Post by david63 »

ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 am
When you put your site online do you need to do anything to get the bots to start crawling your site other than submit it to Google and Bing via webmaster tools?
You don't need to do anything other than ensure that you have plenty of new relevant content - the search bots will find you.
ChinaGal wrote:
Is there a way to lock a forum, but still allow Admins to be permitted to create new posts within that particular forum? Or do admins still need to unlock the forum first each time first before they can add a new post to a locked forum?
You don't need to do any "locking" just set the permissions that Registered Users cannot create new topics but admins can.
ChinaGal wrote:
I feel that the standard post subject box within posts is a bit narrow and small for our purposes, which may often have long subject titles. Is there way to increase the size somehow through an ACP setting or via an already existing extension perhaps?
You would need to edit core code to do that.
ChinaGal wrote:
Is there a way to configure a forum to be accessible by a member only after the member has made a certain number of posts? Since Member Groups are not based on number of posts made, then by setting Forum permissions according to Member Groups doesn't seem to work for this. Ranks are based upon number of member posts made, but with Forum permission settings you can only set by Member Groups and not by Ranks. Is there perhaps another good possible solution for this?
Use the Auto Groups extension in conjunction with permissions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

ChinaGal wrote:
1 - When you put your site online do you need to do anything to get the bots to start crawling your site other than submit it to Google and Bing via webmaster tools?
No. Bots will crawl your site automatically. Whether it's Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc they WILL find your site. Even the bad bots.
ChinaGal wrote:
2 - Is there a way to lock a forum, but still allow Admins to be permitted to create new posts within that particular forum? Or do admins still need to unlock the forum first each time first before they can add a new post to a locked forum?
When a forum is locked, an Admin can still post in there. Probably even a Mod. Just click the post icon that now shows a lock icon. It should allow you to still post.
ChinaGal wrote:
3 - Under "Post Settings", if you have "Allow links in posts/private messages" set to no, is there a way to enable Admins to still be permitted to post links in posts?
Not too sure about that one. I think that setting affects all and I looked in the Group Permissions and see nothing about links.

ChinaGal wrote:
4 - Under "Board Features" if you have "Allow attachments" set to no, is there a way to enable Admins to still be permitted to add attachments in posts?
Not too sure about that one either. I think it's also universal affecting all.
ChinaGal wrote:
5 - I feel that the standard post subject box within posts is a bit narrow and small for our purposes, which may often have long subject titles. Is there way to increase the size somehow through an ACP setting or via an already existing extension perhaps?
This may be style and/or core PHP related. Which means you need someone to help you with that code or style.
ChinaGal wrote:
6 - Is there a way to configure a forum to be accessible by a member only after the member has made a certain number of posts? Since Member Groups are not based on number of posts made, then by setting Forum permissions according to Member Groups doesn't seem to work for this. Ranks are based upon number of member posts made, but with Forum permission settings you can only set by Member Groups and not by Ranks. Is there perhaps another good possible solution for this?
Have a look at the Auto Groups extension. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... to_groups/

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

And David beat me to it.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: A Few Questions On Configuring phpBB

Post by warmweer »

ChinaGal wrote:
As I came over to phpBB recently from working with a different bb software, I have been making some notes of small configuration issues I can't seem to overcome. So I have been building a housekeeping list of these issues and will list them all below in this one post. None of them are perhaps related to one another, but I didn't want to take up a lot of everyone's time be creating a separate post for each of my 6 questions below. So here goes:
Most of the answers to these questions can be found in The User Guide
1. For a basic setup, just allow them access to the forums you want crawled (group forum permissions)
2. Don't lock the forum, just give write access to the Admins only
3. AFAIR the groups or groups/forum permissions can be used to restrict that feature to Admins
4. Same thing (I think) in the sense that general permission can be granted , and then restricted for certain groups using the permission system, only giving Allow attachments permissions to the Admins
5. That can be done with some css editing (take note that this changes the size but not the number of characters which can be input, which is also limited by the database field)
6. You can use the permission system (Newly Registered Groups) to restrict access to certain forums. Once they have reached a postcount (which you can define) they are automatically removed from the New Registered Group and those restrictions will be gone. For more option there's the Auto Groups extensions but you need to familiarise yourself with the basics of the permission system first.
BTW ranks have no influence on permissions at all, it's a pure cosmetic thing.

I realise this is a (too short) answer which probably doesn't give enough information, but start by reading the User guide, specifically the permission system and experiment with that (be sure to investigate permission mask which will help in identifying any conflicting permission setting).

For further guidance I feel it would be better to use the Support forum and 1 post for each issue (otherwise the posts will be too long for easy reading (and contain too much information).

Added:
Yep david63 also beat me to it (by a mile even).
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Thank you david63 and everyone else very, very much for your great feedback. Here is where I am thus far:

1 - Noted that I don't need to do anything. :D

2 - I have unlocked the forums I had locked previously and then just made all other Member Groups "read only" for their permissions on the forums where I don't want any Registered users that aren't Admins to be able to post or create new topics. I think this solves the problem?

3 - Unfortunately it seems there is no way to prevent regular members from being able to add links into posts using forum permissions. So I had to stick with the global setting "Allow links in posts/private messages" as set to no, which unfortunately effects Admins too. :(

4 - Under "Board Features" I have "Allow attachments" set to yes now and then I went into Group Permissions for each of the forums and set Registered to No on "Can attach files". And that did the trick. :D

5 - Noted that I would need to edit core code for that. So I will put that one aside for now. ;)

6 - I will install the Auto Groups extension and see how that goes. Thank you. :)

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

Last quick question please (on my first of the six questions) about getting the bots to start crawling your site:

I had already uploaded some site maps to Google and Bing via webmaster tools the other day. The largest free one I was able to make using the site below gave me an incomplete sitemap with 3900 pages since that seems to be their site map page limit:

http://www.web-site-map.com/index.php

At this point would it be better to just delete the site maps from our site's server and further remove them via the Webmaster dashboard settings on Google and Bing?

Thanks again.

david63

Post by david63 »

On the subject of site maps there is much debate. There are two schools of thought, one being that they do not have much affect (especially on small boards) whilst the other is that they are essential.

Personally I do not have an answer, but what I can say is that on my site I have never used a site map nor have I done anything that is supposed to improve SEO and my site is at the top of Google search results.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

david63 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:08 am
On the subject of site maps there is much debate. There are two schools of thought, one being that they do not have much affect (especially on small boards) whilst the other is that they are essential.

Personally I do not have an answer, but what I can say is that on my site I have never used a site map nor have I done anything that is supposed to improve SEO and my site is at the top of Google search results.
Well noted and thank you. Our board would probably be considered a smaller board as it may get only about 100 or so posts a day.

In a sense I can't see a site map being of much use for a forum site anyway. A forum is always changing in real time. Posts constantly being added. So as soon as a site map is created it is almost immediately outdated. Perhaps I will just pull them down. The site has been added to Google and Bing already so I assume they know what to do. And as you said earlier "the search bots will find you".

david63

Post by david63 »

ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:12 am
In a sense I can't see a site map being of much use for a forum site anyway.
You might find this an interesting read - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2535591
David

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

david63 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 am
ChinaGal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:12 am
In a sense I can't see a site map being of much use for a forum site anyway.
You might find this an interesting read - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2535591
Thank you for that. I read the shorter posts and skimmed the OP's longer posts. It seems like the jury it still a bit out on if it really does much or not.

Incidentally, I didn't see anything mentioned in that topic as to if there is a free method of creating a complete sitemap for all pages on a site using an automated method and that automatically updates itself on your host server once per day and replaces the old sitemap? Thank you.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

A conventional sitemap is designed for static sites, and dynamic sites like phpBB (which has topics not threads by the way) need a different approach. See this extension https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... o_sitemap/

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

1 - Noted that I don't need to do anything.
But you have to give bots access to your board!, on a private board or forum, bots have no access.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

curious as to why you want to keep members from posting links. that is the whole point of the web.

also, there is some benefit SEO wise to having links to relevant sites outside of your own.

if you are trying to stop spam posts , this is not the way to do it.

if you setup phpbb correctly you won't have much , if any, problem with link spam or any other type of spam.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:24 pm
1 - Noted that I don't need to do anything.
But you have to give bots access to your board!, on a private board or forum, bots have no access.
Thank you. Yes, bots will have access to most of the forums on the board. I have given bots access to most of the forums on the site via permissions. There are just a couple of private discussion forum boards on the site that we won't want indexed.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”