Date Display Question/Issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ChinaGal

Date Display Question/Issue

Post by ChinaGal »

I tried to remove the time from the date information that shows on the site for when people joined and when posts were made. So I went to ACP > Board settings > Date format: > Custom... and set it to: D M d, Y - But it didn't change anything, the time stamps still show on dates for everything.

Is there something else perhaps I need to to remove time stamps from topics and and joined dates from the site?

Thank you so much.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Date Display Question/Issue

Post by david63 »

David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ChinaGal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 am
I tried to remove the time from the date information that shows on the site for when people joined and when posts were made. So I went to ACP > Board settings > Date format: > Custom... and set it to: D M d, Y - But it didn't change anything, the time stamps still show on dates for everything.
The change you made affects the board default, implying that is what new users (and guest) will see, until they change their user preferences.
Since you don't see the change, I suspect, you didn't change your personal datetime settings.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and what that also means is that you will not be changing what any of your members see either.

that is something that is usually left up to each member to decide by setting their personal preferences in their user control panel.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

david63 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:51 am
Try this - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ate_format
Thank you. That would be perfect. I installed and unfortunately I got the red screen of errors when I enabled the extension. We are running 3.3.0 - Is there perhaps an issue running this extension with this newer version of phpBB?

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

warmweer wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 pm
ChinaGal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 am
The change you made affects the board default, implying that is what new users (and guest) will see, until they change their user preferences.
Since you don't see the change, I suspect, you didn't change your personal datetime settings.
Thank you, yes, you are right, I only changed that one setting in Board settings. I would like to make it a fully global change though for the entire site for all new users, guests, existing members, etc and which people can't change themselves later. I think the site would just look cleaner without the time stamps and our posts aren't time sensitive to the degree that it is necessary to have a time stamp on posts.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ChinaGal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 pm
Thank you. That would be perfect. I installed and unfortunately I got the red screen of errors when I enabled the extension. We are running 3.3.0 - Is there perhaps an issue running this extension with this newer version of phpBB?
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/212736
ChinaGal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 pm
I would like to make it a fully global change though for the entire site for all new users, guests, existing members, etc and which people can't change themselves later. I think the site would just look cleaner without the time stamps and our posts aren't time sensitive to the degree that it is necessary to have a time stamp on posts.
Still, why not just edit the board default and your personal datetime settings and let your members decide for themselves how they want datetime displayed? Guest view will be fixed and new members will start with your defined settings. You won't even notice it.

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

warmweer wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm
ChinaGal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 pm
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/212736
ChinaGal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 pm
I would like to make it a fully global change though for the entire site for all new users, guests, existing members, etc and which people can't change themselves later. I think the site would just look cleaner without the time stamps and our posts aren't time sensitive to the degree that it is necessary to have a time stamp on posts.
Still, why not just edit the board default and your personal datetime settings and let your members decide for themselves how they want datetime displayed? Guest view will be fixed and new members will start with your defined settings. You won't even notice it.
Thanks for the link to the code fix. I got it working now. I wish it would work for all site topics and posts as well. This is only an extension for the joined date format. As I mentioned, I think the site would just look cleaner without the time stamps and our posts aren't time sensitive to the degree that it is necessary to have a time stamp on posts. Thanks again.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Then change the format for you and for anonymous. You will never know what the other users see, so it shouldn't bother you.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

ChinaGal

Post by ChinaGal »

stevemaury wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:53 pm
Then change the format for you and for anonymous. You will never know what the other users see, so it shouldn't bother you.
Thank you. But to be honest, I am still not sure how to change it for myself even on post topics. It still seems a bit confusing. As I mentioned, I went to ACP > Board settings > Date format: > Custom... and set it to: D M d, Y, but it didn't seem to change anything.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ChinaGal wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:33 am
Thank you. But to be honest, I am still not sure how to change it for myself even on post topics. It still seems a bit confusing. As I mentioned, I went to ACP > Board settings > Date format: > Custom... and set it to: D M d, Y, but it didn't seem to change anything.
That is the board setting: the datetime format new registered user will start with. (you don't see that since you're not a new user).
When you're not logged in, then you can see the board as a guest (user = anonymous >> edit the datetime settings for that user).
To change your own datetime settings you have go to your UCP - board preferences.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”