Upgrading from phpBB 3.2.8 to 3.3.0 and code changes

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Keefy

Upgrading from phpBB 3.2.8 to 3.3.0 and code changes

Post by Keefy »

Hi

I'm on phpBB 3.2.8 i'm assuming that the best for me to use is the changed files option to upgrade, i also have quite a few extensions installed

I am using the original prosilver style but I have altered the colours.css and common.css to get the right colours/style for my forum, in the 3.3.0 changed files there is a colours.css and common.css so I don't want to overwrite the original 2.2.8 colours.css and common.css and lose all my colour changes, is there anyway I can see what as changed or added to the 3.3.0 colours.css and common.css so I can just make the changes to them 2 files, and upload the rest of the changed files package as normal.

Thanks.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Upgrading from phpBB 3.2.8 to 3.3.0 and code changes

Post by warmweer »

The upgrade method is described in detail in Upgrading from 3.2 to 3.3.
The changed files package is also safe to use as long as you follow the rest of the guide.
I would NOT use any autoupdate.

As to you css-edits: if it's only colours.css and common.css: Use a file compare program to compare your 3.2 version (I take it you know what you have edited) and the new 3.3 version and edit the new one manually. It' probably not a lot of work.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

part of the upgrade is to replace the 3.2 files with 3.3 files, so yes, you will need to redo your custom css in prosilver 3.3

having said that, it is usually not a good idea to edit prosilver since it will always be updated for each board update.

the usual way to do what you want is to create a copy of prosilver, rename the prosilver folder whatever you want.
if you are only editing the css then you can remove all of the files from the template folder and leave the css files in the theme folder.
then, edit the css as you wish and install the style like any other style.

then choose it as default and override users in the admin panel.
'
now, when you update in the future, you just do the full file replacement method and then you only have to manually update your custom style files.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Keefy

Post by Keefy »

Thanks Guys :)

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”