How? First moderated post sets user to registered

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
php_mike

How? First moderated post sets user to registered

Post by php_mike »

I cannot seem to find a way to do the following.

When users sign up, they should be in the newly registered group and allowed to post ONE item.
Admin must moderate the first post by any new user.
Once an admin has moderated that post and the user seems legit, I'd like to switch the user to fully registered user.

I set New member post limit to 1 but that is having no effect because I'm overlooking something.
I cannot share the site because it's not live/public yet.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: How? First moderated post sets user to registered

Post by stevemaury »

Setting New member post limit to 1 will mean their first post has to be moderated, unless you have changed the permissions in the NRU Role. They will also be in the Registered users group, but the Never permissions for the NRU will overrule the Registered users Yes permission.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

hewmac06
Former Team Member
Name: Hugh

Post by hewmac06 »

After that first post, their next post will see them automatically exit the Newly registered users group and remain in the Registered users group. It won't happen till the second post is posted.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Actually it happens the next time they log in.

The other thing to note is that if you set the limit now, it will only apply to people who register from now on not people who already have accounts but no posts yet.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

php_mike wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:27 am
Admin must moderate the first post by any new user.
Approving posts is a Moderator function, not an Admin one
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

Odd then because I've not played with permissions, only changing 3 posts to 1 and putting new users in the newly registered group.
Most spammers will try spamming on the very first post which is why I don't care to limit people beyond 1 post.

I am missing something then since you are saying it's how it should work as I've set it this way.

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

I tested this by signing up. I was put into the newly registered but am able to post up to three times, each needing approval.
Am I supposed to clear the cache every time I make a change on the site?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

You do not need to put users in any group. If the New member post limit is more than 0, they will automatically be put into and removed from the proper groups. If an NRU posts and the post is not approved, all posts after it will require approval until one is approved.

Register a user with the New member post limit set to one. Make a post. Log out. Approve the post of that user. Have that user log in. Make a post. What happens?

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

Maybe I did not get this right.
Initially, I only changed the 3 post to 1.

The system default of read only did not allow users to make that first post to be moderated.
Therefore, I changed Setting Permissions for Registered users to 'On Moderation Queue' for the forums I've created under a parent.

The manual says no one has access unless I set something up as a starting point which is why I did this. Everything was Read Only Access up until I changed this. What I'm concerned about with my change is that I did this for specific forums which means that I would have to remember to maintain this each time a new forum is added?

Or, should I be changing something else to end up with a new system default. Something I've not noticed yet that would make all forums On Moderation Queue as they are created.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Now I am confused. You started by talking about the Newly Registered users group. Are you now saying you want (some?) forums to be on Moderation queue for Registered users too?

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

I'm asking if the defaults are what I think they are as mentioned above.

According to the manual, all new forums are read only and you have to decide what you want.
I want new users have their first post, not two or three to be moderated so I changed that default 3 value to 1.
When a new user posts and I moderate that post, the user is changed to registered once the cron job runs.
So far, I think I'm on track.

It *seems* that when I moderate the new users post that the user is also approved. My question was, if I did not approve the new users post, does teh user still get approved and moved into the registered users?

What I asked was about the one change I made where I changed the permissions to 'On Moderation Queue'. I'm not sure if I needed to do that or not to get what I'm after above. I think this is wrong because even after the user is switched to registered, his posts still need moderation.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the default forum permissions for the newly registered user group are all no.
however, you have to set the newly registered user group as default for it to work.
if you want the members of that group to have their first post moderated then you have to set that to yes and choose the number of posts as you have done already.

the default forum permissions for the registered user group for posting are yes and posting without approval is yes.

not sure where you went astray with your permission settings.

also, once you have created a forum with the permissions set the way you wish, you can simply copy those permissions to each new forum that you want to have those same permissions. there is a drop down on the page when creating a new forum for this.

you can create a new forum with different permission settings and copy those permissions to any new forum you want to have those permssions as well.

this may help:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rmissions/
Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

Yes, I went astray with something which ended up making things much more complicated then they should be.

The only groups in forums permissions are bots, guests, registered and COPPA. Do I just have to add the newly registered group to my initial forums to get back on track? I don't recall removing the newly registered group if it was there already.

Initially, I was searching forums posts and later I started reading the manual. I've only changed a couple of things such as the number of first posts and Forums permissions but trying to get back to that default is what is getting things messed up.
In Forums Permissions, I edited Registered users to 'On Moderation Queue' thinking that was how I could moderate all new users first post.

I'll read and re-read what you've commented last and hopefully, get back on track.
I will also remove the forums and re-create them after putting the Settings Permissions back to read only.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 am
the default forum permissions for the newly registered user group are all no.
however, you have to set the newly registered user group as default for it to work.
if you want the members of that group to have their first post moderated then you have to set that to yes and choose the number of posts as you have done already.

the default forum permissions for the registered user group for posting are yes and posting without approval is yes.
This is not true.
Setting the Newly Regd Users group to "Default" only affects the new users' username color and rank. it hjas nothing to do with permissions.

You need to go to forum permissions and edit one forum's permissions.
Set the Newly Regd Users Group permissions "role" to Newly Regd User. Then copy that forum's permissions to all of the other forums.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

brf, either you misunderstood what I was saying or I said it wrong.

when you first install phpbb the group permissions for the registered user group are set to "standard features"

the posting permissions for the standard features role are all yes except for two.

the default forum installed with the board has standard access set for the group forum permissions.

that allow any logged in members to post without moderation etc.

the point is that in most cases when you setup a new board the registered users will be able to post without moderation in the default forum and any other forums that you create and copy permissions from that forum.

the only way that changes is if you either do not copy permissions from a forum that is using the default setup and/or you start changing permissions from the default when you setup the forum.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.

sorry for the confusion.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”