How? First moderated post sets user to registered

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
php_mike

Re: How? First moderated post sets user to registered

Post by php_mike »

I think I need some hand holding. I'm still stuck here.

I removed all forums, re-created all from scratch again. No previous permissions or anything being used or kept.
Once the forums are created, they are invisible to anyone, including the administrator which from what I've read, default.
Next, I go to Forum permissions and see there are no users or groups.
Fine, I think I need to add all of the groups since they all seem to be needed unless I had some specific requirement which I don't.
I highlight all of the groups in Add group and send them to the above window called Groups/manage groups.
This sends me to Setting permissions which is where I'm getting lost at this point.
The category and all forums are now being shown and needing a role.
I think the category does not need a role since it's just a category.
I skip to the first forum.
I only need to set the first forum and I'll later copy its permissions to the others.
So for first forum, here is what I've done.

Administrators: full access
Bots: Bot access
Global moderators: full access
Guests: Read only access
Newly registered: Newly registered user access

I save all this then go to manage forums.
There, I change Copy permissions to the first forum that I used as a template above. I do this for the rest of the forums.

I've saved all this but still see no forums, as guest or anyone else. 'This board has no forums'.
What am I missing at this point? Do I still have to change some user group settings now?

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

>You need to go to forum permissions and edit one forum's permissions.
>Set the Newly Regd Users Group permissions "role" to Newly Regd User. Then copy that forum's permissions to all of the other forums.

It is this way already but no one can see forums.
Guests are also set to read only but no group can see the forums.

When I look at Group forum permissions, Setting permissions and Guests, this says No role assigned.

Then I noticed that the category was No role assigned under the same section above. I changed it to read only which made no difference.
Then I changed the category and copied the first forum I edited to that and now the forums can be seen.

I *think* it's working as it should be now. Talk about confusing when you're first setting things up and make a small error.
Last edited by php_mike on Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

ok, start over again.

since you don't have a default category and forum any longer you have to creat them.

In ACP> FORUMS> Manage forums make a new forum.

Forum type: Category
Parent forum: No parent

Set permissions for category:

highlite the adminstrators, bots, guests, and registered users groups in the add groups box and click submit.
on the next page chose the read onlly access role for each of those groups. click "apply all permissions".

Then make another forum.
Forum type: Forum
Parent forum: the category you just made.

Set permissions for forum.

To set permissions, use the option to copy permissions from the category you just made.

now, go back and select group forum permissions.
select the forum you just created, select registered user group
select standard access role.

now you should have one category and one forum under that category that you and your registered users can see and read and post in.

now you can create a new forum either under that category or in a new category and choose group forum permissions. then choose the forum, then choose newly registered users from the drop down and then coose newly registered users from the role drop down.

submit and you are done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

Hi Lumpy,

Before I do that, can you check my last comment about yours? I think I'm there but if I missed something, I'll start over again :).

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You said this:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:28 am
you have to set the newly registered user group as default
which is not true.
You just need to set the Post limit to non-zero and set the Newly Regd Users group's forum permission role to "Newly Regd User" for each forum.

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

My setup seems to be working right now.
As a newly registered user, I can post and that has to be moderated.
Once moderated, that new user is moved to registered.

Next, I'll create a read only category and a couple of forums.
I'll use the first created forum in that section to maintain those permissions.

Question
To add a Global moderator, I've created a new account and put that user into the global moderators group.
Next, in Forum moderators, I guess I need to add the group Global moderators into all forums.
This means I have the administrator and this user both in Global moderators group.
Note: There are mentions of moderator and global moderator. I assume global means access to ALL forums and none global means specific forums.

Am I on track now?

Also, does the group change happen based on the moderation?
Meaning, if I approve the post, the user is changed to registered. If I do not approve it, what happens to the user, if anything?

HOURS of going in circles. Could it be any more confusing? I bet it can. I love micro controls but just to get started, we should have some very basic things to do and micron control from there.
Last edited by php_mike on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

when the post is approved. the user will be dropped from the newly registered user group upont their next login to the board. all users are in the registered user group and should not be removed from there.

the RUG has the basic permisions that allow a member to see the forums and read the topics and post in them.

you put people in other groups to either give them other permissions or take permissions away from them.

but they always remain in the RUG.
If you don't approve the post then they just sit there. however, if you are using the approval to combat spam, then you would probably want to delete/ban the account since you did not want to approve the post because you think they are spammers.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

php_mike

Post by php_mike »

I think I'm on track now, at least have things up and running so I'll post separate questions as they come up so as not to create a huge long useless thread.

Thanks for all the help. This post and the information has helped.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”