Understanding Date Format in ACP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CGI1984

Understanding Date Format in ACP

Post by CGI1984 »

I have made a custom setting to the Date Format in ACP > Board Settings - I just want to make sure I correctly understand the affect of the change I made:

1 - As the Admin, this will affect the date format that I see for posts when I am logged in, correct?

2 - This will also affect the date format that site guests see when they visit the site, correct?

3 - Existing members will still see the default date format setting when they created their account, so the change I made to the date format wont effect them, unless they change it them self, correct?

4 - The new date format I set now becomes the default date format setting for all new registered members that sign up for an account on the site after I made the change to date format, correct?

Thank you for your help.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Understanding Date Format in ACP

Post by warmweer »

CGI1984 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:23 am
1 - As the Admin, this will affect the date format that I see for posts when I am logged in, correct?

2 - This will also affect the date format that site guests see when they visit the site, correct?

3 - Existing members will still see the default date format setting when they created their account, so the change I made to the date format wont effect them, unless they change it them self, correct?

4 - The new date format I set now becomes the default date format setting for all new registered members that sign up for an account on the site after I made the change to date format, correct?
1. Only if your user date format is the same one.
2. Correct
3. as in 1. they will see the date format they have chosen to use
4. Correct
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Great, thank you. Clear. So with questions 1 and 3 that means it depends on the date format settings in each user's profile, including the admin's own user profile, correct? Thanks again.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

CGI1984 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 pm
Great, thank you. Clear. So with questions 1 and 3 that means it depends on the date format settings in each user's profile, including the admin's own user profile, correct? Thanks again.
Yes.
2. is simple because guest can't change their datetime settings
4. is what a registered user starts with but during the registration process the user can change some settings

CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Thanks. Is there a way to disable a new user from changing their date settings when they register and force them to use the default board setting?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

CGI1984 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:46 pm
Thanks. Is there a way to disable a new user from changing their date settings when they register and force them to use the default board setting?
I don't think there's an extension for that.
It could be done with some custom coding, but why on this blue ball shaped planet would you force a datetime setting?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Actually, for (2.) there is a Date format attached to the Guest user's profile too. You can adjust that by going into Manage Users in the ACP, and checkmark "Select anonymous user" to edit the Guest profile. Select "Preferences" from the Select Form dropdown in the upper-right.

CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Brf wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:19 pm
Actually, for (2.) there is a Date format attached to the Guest user's profile too. You can adjust that by going into Manage Users in the ACP, and checkmark "Select anonymous user" to edit the Guest profile. Select "Preferences" from the Select Form dropdown in the upper-right.
Great, thank you, That helps.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”