host moved site to new server, need to reconnect and update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
bort70

host moved site to new server, need to reconnect and update

Post by bort70 »

Hi, so my site had bandwidth usage issues and my host suggested they transfer it to their parent company. So the url and forum was inaccessible, then moved to a new account. I believe it was running 3.0.9 mainly because there were significant design changes to the styles which made upgrading a huge chore.

So I'm trying to reconnect the forum to it's new home, then upgrade to the latest install (I'm willing to have the default style). First step I think is for a new config.php file (referencing https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... gphp-file/) but oddly, going to config.php on the site brings up a "Bandwidth Limit" message.

Any suggestions for next steps? Thanks for the help!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: host moved site to new server, need to reconnect and update

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

check with the new host. first thing to find out is what the heck that error means when you just got there.
second, make sure your account is not running a php version above 5.6 with that old of a phpBB version (3.0.9)
because it will not work well, if at all.

oh, and you can't access config.php on the internet. you must have it on your computer and open it with a text editor only.
the only thing you need to change right now is the database info. when you move to the new server you have to have a new database. therefore you will have a new database server, database name and username/password.
If the host moves automatically creats all that for you with the same name/username etc. then you won't need to update the config.php file.

have you tried simply accessing your new board with the same address you had before?
did your domain name DNS get transferred over to the new host's IP addresses yet?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
bort70

Post by bort70 »

Hi, Robert thanks for the informative reply!

The new site is running php version 7.2.28, the previous one appears to be 5.4.45. I guess you nailed it right away. Any options moving forward here?

As for the config file, thanks for the clarification. All the info should be identical, but I guess it's the php version mismatch here. The DNS did transfer over, but nothing in the forum will load.. unless it's a direct link to an image.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes, you will probably not get it to work on php7

see if your new host can let you change to php 5.6 just long enough to upgrade.

if not, you still have some options.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
bort70

Post by bort70 »

I was able to change php versions through cPanel, looks like everything is back up! I really appreciate your help.

I think the next step will be to duplicate the database and forum, then apply updates to phpbb. Similar to what's been laid out here: viewtopic.php?f=661&t=2545566

Is that a simple and safe plan? I think my db is only about 500-600mb.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Follow this https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/
You can go directly to 3.3.0 but going first to 3.0.14 en run Support Toolkit than 3.1.0 than 3.1.12 than 3.2.0 and finally to 3.3.0 is safer in my opinion.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
bort70

Post by bort70 »

Thanks Janus, I will try that once I get the chance to move.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”