Creating a Second version of existing forum in different Directory

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Creating a Second version of existing forum in different Directory

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Hi all,

Hope your all keeping well and safe in this unusual time. I'm off work so am trying to get some other things done.
Here's my question.

Outline:
I'm looking to make a carbon copy of my existing phpBB forum but on the same server/domain but with a different directory name. The reason is this;
I wan't to make some changes and connect some add-on's without affecting the live forum. I also need to check and see any errors that may occur without affecting users. Its going to take a lot of time so its the best option without bothering users.

The current live forum is located in directory named, 'forum'. The new directory will be called 'forums' - note the extra 's'.
I can use these; Then;
  • I'll create a new database and change the 'config.php' in the new directory, 'forums', to connect to the new database.
  • I'll need to disable emails. General>Email Settings>Disable all emails
Question 1: Is there anything in the new database I need to change to make sure it connects only to the new directory, 'forums'?
Question 2: Have I missed anything?

Thanks all and keep safe,
Colette
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Re: Creating a Second version of existing forum in different Directory

Post by Scanialady »

to change/to check in database:

table phpbb_config (Variables: cookie_domain, cookie_name, cookie_path, server_name, sitename, script_path).

Cookie domain your tld, script path: /forums (and /forum for the other) = folder name on the same domain
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Scanialady wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:17 pm
to change/to check in database:

table phpbb_config (Variables: cookie_domain, cookie_name, cookie_path, server_name, sitename, script_path).

Cookie domain your tld, script path: /forums (and /forum for the other) = folder name on the same domain
Thanks Scanialady,

Its on the same tld so I opened the database backup in Notepad++ and only needed to change
cookie_name to a new one and
script_path to the name of the new directory.

I think we're good to go. :)
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Worked a treat. Only thing I had to do was purge the cache which I did via FTP.

;)

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”