Form invalid when editing multiple smilies

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
-CoS-

Form invalid when editing multiple smilies

Post by -CoS- »

In ACP, when you try to edit multiple smilies (selecting which of them should be showed besides the posting box), it leads to this error:
Information
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
I think it's the same than what's happening when editting multiple PMs.
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5821/files
janus_zonstraal

Re: Form invalid when editing multiple smilies

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Sorry misread
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
david63

Post by david63 »

If that is the case then post it in the Bug Tracker
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
EA117

Post by EA117 »

I'm not seeing a fundamental problem when performing that action here, for what it's worth. I can submit the Edit Smilies form successfully after un-selecting or re-selecting a half dozen or so smilies to appear on the posting page.

The form token checks in that area were adjusted, but it was quite some time ago in phpBB 3.1.10. Whereas the Private Message issue you linked to, which affected phpBB 3.2.9 and phpBB 3.3.0, were due to form checks which had just been introduced in those releases.

So I have to believe you're getting the invalid form result "for some other reason", and not because the form checks are placed such that it's impossible for them to succeed like in the PM case. Do you possibly have any extensions that try to extend functionality in the phpBB ACP Smilies area that could be temporarily disabled, to see if any of them correlate to the symptom. Also, instead of Smilies, what if you try the same action with Topic Icons (selecting which ones should appear on the posting form), since those two sections otherwise intend to share the same code.

The reasons one "should" receive an invalid form notice seem like issues you would be seeing for any of the form checks within the phpBB ACP, and not just specifically in the Smilies / Topic Icons area. (e.g. Form invalid is supposed to occur if you were waiting too long before submitting the form, or were getting a different session ID by the time you submit.) Which makes me wonder if possibly the /includes/acp/acp_icons.php file content on your board is somehow incorrect & not the expected phpBB 3.3.0 content for whatever reason, if the issue being seen is limited to just that area.
mrgoldy
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy »

Did you immediately submit the form or did you have it open for a while?
Did you have your forum open in multiple tabs and performed actions in a different tab?
Can you still reproduce this issue? If so, could you please provide some steps so we can reproduce it aswell.
phpBB Studio / Member of the Studio

Contributing: You can do it too! Including testing Pull Requests (PR).
phpBB Development and Testing made easy.
-CoS-

Post by -CoS- »

EA117 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am
Do you possibly have any extensions that try to extend functionality in the phpBB ACP Smilies area that could be temporarily disabled, to see if any of them correlate to the symptom.
The only extension I'm using is Tapatalk, I'm not sure if it's related to this. I've tried disabling it but I had the same result.
EA117 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am
Also, instead of Smilies, what if you try the same action with Topic Icons (selecting which ones should appear on the posting form), since those two sections otherwise intend to share the same code.
That works perfectly. Maybe is it a problem with the big amount of smilies I had in my forum? It's not a fresh install, but un update from 3.0.8.
mrgoldy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:43 pm
Did you immediately submit the form or did you have it open for a while?
Immediately.
mrgoldy wrote:
Did you have your forum open in multiple tabs and performed actions in a different tab?
It happens with just one tab.
mrgoldy wrote:
Can you still reproduce this issue? If so, could you please provide some steps so we can reproduce it aswell.
Yes, every time. The steps are quite easy:

- Go to Smilies in the Posting section of ACP.
- Push Edit smilies
- Push submit (doing any changes to the form or not)

So probably, by what EA117 said, if topic icons and smilies share the same code and only smilies are giving me this error, this could be a problem with my smilies?

EDIT: I've accessed my database and I've seen that I have two smilies tables phpbb_smilies and phpbb_smilies2, the second one didn't look right (all the image names were the same). I've dropped that table but the problem persists.
Last edited by -CoS- on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

-CoS- wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:35 pm
Yes, every time. The steps are quite easy:

- Go to Smilies in the Posting section of ACP.
- Push Edit smilies
- Push submit (doing any changes to the form or not)
Unable to reproduce. It works here (3.3.0).
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
EA117

Post by EA117 »

-CoS- wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:35 pm
So probably, by what EA117 said, if topic icons and smilies share the same code and only smilies are giving me this error, this could be a problem with my smilies?
I certainly was expecting it to go the other way, and confirm that you had the same issue with topic icons. "I have so many smilies that I'm encountering an issue" certainly doesn't seem impossible, but I still would not have expected "form invalid" to be that issue. The form token and form token verification is just measuring and reacting to something that has nothing to do with "how many", and it seems odd of we've exceeded PHP "maximum post size", that "form invalid" would have been the outcome for that.

Rather than trying to negotiate admin access to your board, do you happen to be able to export just your phpbb_smilies table, and then perhaps also zip the smilies image folder they refer to, just in case that's somehow involved? And make that package (SQL export of just a single table, and the smilies images) available for others to try and test, duplicate and investigate.

Since we'd probably rather investigate in an easily debuggable environment rather than your live board anyway, if the issue can be duplicated with that information. Could you also use the "PHP Information" link in phpBB ACP General tab to confirm what your board's PHP "post_max_size" is set to, just in case that does turn out to be a required ingredient for duplication. If you know how to adjust your site's PHP settings you might even just arbitrarily try doubling it, so see if that impacts the symptom at all or not.

Just a .zip file uploaded to your site and provide the URL publicly here should be fine, since there is nothing sensitive regarding smilies or the SQL export of the phpbb_smilies table. And that way anyone can have a crack at it, since maybe not all of us will be successful in duplicating. But if you're concerned about anything, making the link available by PM will be fine too.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”