What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.0
What is your board's URL? http://localhost:8888
Who do you host your board with? MAMP Local Environment
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? None
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Trying to install completely vanilla phpBB 3.3 on local host
Please describe your problem. As per post below
Generated by SRT Generator
For the last day or so I have been battling with a very puzzling bug. I have been using MAMP for years to run local environments of phpBB 3.2, for testing extensions and writing styles mainly. I've never had any issues running phpBB 3.2 on localhost through MAMP.
Recently I have been trying to do a completely fresh, clean install of phpBB 3.3 on my usual environment, and I'm hitting a brick wall every single time. Just wanted to post what I'd found so far here for you, in the hope that someone can spot anything I've missed.
First of all, just to confirm for you:
- Yes, this is a completely clean, vanilla, no extensions, no styles, no core modifications version of phpBB3. It is completely standard in every way.
- Yes, I downloaded the full package from phpBB's official downloads page.
- No, this is not an upgrade from a previous installation. It is a brand new installation.
- OS: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra Hackintosh)
- Browser: Safari 13.1.1
- Local Environment: MAMP 4.5
- I download the full phpBB 3.3 package and move all files into htdocs.
- I create and name a database with standard utf8_general_ci collation on MAMP's PhpMyAdmin.
- I navigate to localhost:8888/install/.
- I enter all of the correct information required by phpBB to connect to the database (yes, server ports are correct, yes I am using root/root).
- phpBB connects to the database and takes me through the other dialogs, and begins installing.
- As phpBB starts to write the tables into the database, I am presented with the following error:
pidisn't always the same:
Code: Select all
[Thu Jun 18 14:53:52 2020] [notice] child pid 938 exit signal Illegal instruction (4)
What I have tried so far to fix the issue
Obviously as soon as this happened, I googled the issue and tried everything and anything under the sun to fix this.
- I have tried refreshing up to a dozen times to force through the installation, but this does not work, as others have suggested.
- I have upgarded MAMP to MAMP 5 and retried, this had the same results.
- I have downgraded MAMP to MAMP 4.4, this had the same results.
- I have ensured that in the config.php file, that all values are correct and it reads
- Have rebooted my computer between each attempted installation.
- I have ensured that my Mac OS X software is completely up to date.
- As the error is a timeout error, I have ensured in my php ini config that I have set the memory limits, max connections allowed, and time taken by script etc. all to the maximum (I am familiar with doing this as I often import/export large phpBB 3.2 databases). I have also ensured that phpMyAdmin's configuration file also has been set to have an unlimited (0) time out.
- I have tried installing with different PHP versions, ranging from 7.4.2 all the way back to the minimum supported 7.1, and everything in between.
- I have tried using different database users, root/root and also my own users with of course global privileges and full access/control of the database.
- I have tried using the CLI, this results in
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
- I have tried changing the ports of apache/nginx/mysql to non-defaults set by MAMP, and of course using the defaults set by MAMP.
- I have tried using different database names - every install I used a new, fresh database to carry out the installation.
exit signal illegal instructionerror in my Apache log.
What about phpBB 3.2, then upgrade to phpBB 3.3?
I thought that this might be a good work around, so I gave it a try. I was able to successfully install a copy of phpBB 3.2.9 (as I always have been able to) without any issues on the localhost environment.
I then followed the instructions for a manual upgrade to phpBB 3.3.0 to the letter. Ran the database-update only script through /install/, deleted /install/ and voila - looks like I'm running 3.3!
Nope. As soon as I log out and end the session, trying to log back in provides me with a 'Server stopped responding' error message. From that point onwards I cannot access the board, or do anything with it that involves the database. Again, the
exit signal illegal instructionin the Apache log.
What about installing it on a different host and then importing the database and copying the files into local environment?
I also tried this - successfully installing phpBB 3.3 on a web host, downloading the database and files, changing config.php to match the usual settings for localhost, but I get the same error as I do when I do an upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3.
As you can see I've really done a lot of research and taken my time to carefully try and troubleshoot this issue. It seems I'm getting nowhere with this - I'm excited to try phpBB 3.3 finally but this issue, which seems to be isolated ONLY to 3.3, is stopping me from enjoying that.
It seems that it (3.3) is unable to both: install via MAMP, or even run through MAMP when transferred into this environment.
Anyone who has read this far, thank you for taking the time to look carefully through this report - if you could offer me any suggestions or help I'd be very grateful.