Fresh, clean install of phpBB 3.3 not working on MAMP - Installer timeout

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
teebling

Fresh, clean install of phpBB 3.3 not working on MAMP - Installer timeout

Post by teebling »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.0
What is your board's URL? http://localhost:8888
Who do you host your board with? MAMP Local Environment
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? None
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Trying to install completely vanilla phpBB 3.3 on local host
Please describe your problem. As per post below
Generated by SRT Generator

----------------------------------------------

Introduction

Hello everyone,

For the last day or so I have been battling with a very puzzling bug. I have been using MAMP for years to run local environments of phpBB 3.2, for testing extensions and writing styles mainly. I've never had any issues running phpBB 3.2 on localhost through MAMP.

Recently I have been trying to do a completely fresh, clean install of phpBB 3.3 on my usual environment, and I'm hitting a brick wall every single time. Just wanted to post what I'd found so far here for you, in the hope that someone can spot anything I've missed.

First of all, just to confirm for you:
  • Yes, this is a completely clean, vanilla, no extensions, no styles, no core modifications version of phpBB3. It is completely standard in every way.
  • Yes, I downloaded the full package from phpBB's official downloads page.
  • No, this is not an upgrade from a previous installation. It is a brand new installation.
And some further information which might be of use:
  • Browser: Safari 13.1.1
  • Local Environment: MAMP 4.5

The problem
  • I download the full phpBB 3.3 package and move all files into htdocs.
  • I create and name a database with standard utf8_general_ci collation on MAMP's PhpMyAdmin.
  • I navigate to localhost:8888/install/.
  • I enter all of the correct information required by phpBB to connect to the database (yes, server ports are correct, yes I am using root/root).
  • phpBB connects to the database and takes me through the other dialogs, and begins installing.
  • As phpBB starts to write the tables into the database, I am presented with the following error:
Error message
Error message
Whenever this happens, a specific error is printed in my Apache error log - the three/four digit number after pid isn't always the same:

Code: Select all

[Thu Jun 18 14:53:52 2020] [notice] child pid 938 exit signal Illegal instruction (4)
This is the only error log printed - no errors in the PHP log, no errors in the MySQL log (which is weird seeing as it's the SQL that is the issue here).

What I have tried so far to fix the issue

Obviously as soon as this happened, I googled the issue and tried everything and anything under the sun to fix this.
  • I have tried refreshing up to a dozen times to force through the installation, but this does not work, as others have suggested.
  • I have upgarded MAMP to MAMP 5 and retried, this had the same results.
  • I have downgraded MAMP to MAMP 4.4, this had the same results.
  • I have ensured that in the config.php file, that all values are correct and it reads mysqli, not mysql.
  • Have rebooted my computer between each attempted installation.
  • I have ensured that my Mac OS X software is completely up to date.
  • As the error is a timeout error, I have ensured in my php ini config that I have set the memory limits, max connections allowed, and time taken by script etc. all to the maximum (I am familiar with doing this as I often import/export large phpBB 3.2 databases). I have also ensured that phpMyAdmin's configuration file also has been set to have an unlimited (0) time out.
  • I have tried installing with different PHP versions, ranging from 7.4.2 all the way back to the minimum supported 7.1, and everything in between.
  • I have tried using different database users, root/root and also my own users with of course global privileges and full access/control of the database.
  • I have tried using the CLI, this results in SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
  • I have tried changing the ports of apache/nginx/mysql to non-defaults set by MAMP, and of course using the defaults set by MAMP.
  • I have tried using different database names - every install I used a new, fresh database to carry out the installation.
And after all of this and about seventeen attempts, I still get the same thing - the timeout error on the installer and the familiar exit signal illegal instruction error in my Apache log.

What about phpBB 3.2, then upgrade to phpBB 3.3?

I thought that this might be a good work around, so I gave it a try. I was able to successfully install a copy of phpBB 3.2.9 (as I always have been able to) without any issues on the localhost environment.

I then followed the instructions for a manual upgrade to phpBB 3.3.0 to the letter. Ran the database-update only script through /install/, deleted /install/ and voila - looks like I'm running 3.3!

Nope. As soon as I log out and end the session, trying to log back in provides me with a 'Server stopped responding' error message. From that point onwards I cannot access the board, or do anything with it that involves the database. Again, the exit signal illegal instruction in the Apache log.

What about installing it on a different host and then importing the database and copying the files into local environment?

I also tried this - successfully installing phpBB 3.3 on a web host, downloading the database and files, changing config.php to match the usual settings for localhost, but I get the same error as I do when I do an upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3.

As you can see I've really done a lot of research and taken my time to carefully try and troubleshoot this issue. It seems I'm getting nowhere with this - I'm excited to try phpBB 3.3 finally but this issue, which seems to be isolated ONLY to 3.3, is stopping me from enjoying that.

It seems that it (3.3) is unable to both: install via MAMP, or even run through MAMP when transferred into this environment.

Anyone who has read this far, thank you for taking the time to look carefully through this report - if you could offer me any suggestions or help I'd be very grateful.

Teeb
Last edited by teebling on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: Fresh, clean install of phpBB 3.3 not working on MAMP - Installer timeout

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Try to increase the max_execution_time PHP directive, usually 60 (seconds) should be more than enough, the default is 30

I'm not familiar with MAMP, but that directive is usually changed inside a php.ini file.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

What is the version of PHP in use in MAMP 4.5?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
teebling

Post by teebling »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:30 pm Try to increase the max_execution_time PHP directive, usually 60 (seconds) should be more than enough, the default is 30

I'm not familiar with MAMP, but that directive is usually changed inside a php.ini file.
Hey, my post got sent prematurely, it's fully written now. If you wouldn't mind going back and re-reading - you'll see that I have already changed the execution times in the php.ini file and also in phpMyAdmin's config.

Also it doesn't look like a time out issue anyway, because the error is almost instantaneous.
Mick wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm What is the version of PHP is in use In MAMP 4.5?
Likewise, I hadn't finished writing my post before you guys replied, you will see now that I have tried using every PHP version from 7.4.2 down to the minimum required 7.1 version, and every other iteration between that offered by MAMP.

I'll list all the ones I've tried so far anyway:

AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

teebling wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

[Thu Jun 18 14:53:52 2020] [notice] child pid 938 exit signal Illegal instruction (4)
Try to set the Apache LogLevel to debug, maybe it will give you more information.
teebling wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm I have tried using the CLI, this results in SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
What's the full error message? because that's very ambiguous and could be anything.

Have you tried using XAMPP?

teebling

Post by teebling »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm
Try to set the Apache LogLevel to debug, maybe it will give you more information.
Tried this, unfortunately it provides no further context, and just spits out the same error at the end:

[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [notice] Apache/2.2.34 (Unix) mod_wsgi/3.5 Python/2.7.13 PHP/7.2.1 mod_ssl/2.2.34 OpenSSL/1.0.2j DAV/2 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 mod_perl/2.0.9 Perl/v5.24.0 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] Server built: Nov 27 2017 14:11:22
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] prefork.c(1023): AcceptMutex: flock (default: flock)
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1916): proxy: grabbed scoreboard slot 0 in child 3727 for worker proxy:reverse
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1936): proxy: worker proxy:reverse already initialized
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(2032): proxy: initialized single connection worker 0 in child 3727 for (*)
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3727): Initializing Python.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1916): proxy: grabbed scoreboard slot 0 in child 3728 for worker proxy:reverse
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1936): proxy: worker proxy:reverse already initialized
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(2032): proxy: initialized single connection worker 0 in child 3728 for (*)
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3728): Initializing Python.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3725): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3724): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3726): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3727): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:03 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3728): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:04 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1916): proxy: grabbed scoreboard slot 0 in child 3836 for worker proxy:reverse
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:04 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1936): proxy: worker proxy:reverse already initialized
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:04 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(2032): proxy: initialized single connection worker 0 in child 3836 for (*)
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:04 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3836): Initializing Python.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:04 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=3836): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:25 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1916): proxy: grabbed scoreboard slot 0 in child 4013 for worker proxy:reverse
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:25 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(1936): proxy: worker proxy:reverse already initialized
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:25 2020] [debug] proxy_util.c(2032): proxy: initialized single connection worker 0 in child 4013 for (*)
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:25 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=4013): Initializing Python.
[Thu Jun 18 16:43:25 2020] [info] mod_wsgi (pid=4013): Attach interpreter ''.
[Thu Jun 18 16:44:44 2020] [notice] child pid 3728 exit signal Illegal instruction (4)
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm
teebling wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm I have tried using the CLI, this results in SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]
What's the full error message? because that's very ambiguous and could be anything.
This is what happens when I run sudo php install/phpbbcli.php install install/install-config.yml:

[ERROR] General Error:                                                                       
         SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]                                                                 

No such file or directory [2002]                                                     
          in file /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 1023           

BACKTRACE                                                                            

FILE: (not given by php)                                                             
         LINE: (not given by php)                                                             
         CALL: installer_msg_handler()                                                        

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php                                              
         LINE: 1023                                                                           
         CALL: trigger_error()                                                                

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php                                              
         LINE: 112                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()                                         

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module/install_database/task/create_schema_file.php       
         LINE: 74                                                                             
         CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_connect()                                       

FILE: [ROOT]/cache/installer/container_68cb1097a8b79ea7fb0e2e36ad3b0d0c.php          
         LINE: 901                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\install\module\install_database\task\create_schema_file->__construct()

FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/Container.php                       
         LINE: 306                                                                            
         CALL:                                                                                
         phpbb_cache_container->getInstaller_InstallDatabase_CreateSchemaFileService()     

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/di/service_collection.php                                         
         LINE: 57                                                                             
         CALL: Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Container->get()                      

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/di/ordered_service_collection.php                                 
         LINE: 82                                                                             
         CALL: phpbb\di\service_collection->offsetGet()                                    

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/di/service_collection_iterator.php                                
         LINE: 44                                                                             
         CALL: phpbb\di\ordered_service_collection->offsetGet()                            

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module_base.php                                           
         LINE: 123                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\di\service_collection_iterator->current()                             

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/installer.php                                             
         LINE: 219                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\install\module_base->run()                                            

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/console/command/install/install.php                       
         LINE: 153                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\install\installer->run()                                              

FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/console/Command/Command.php                              
         LINE: 255                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\install\console\command\install\install->execute()                    

FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php                                  
         LINE: 1000                                                                           
         CALL: Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run()                            

LINE: 255                                                                            
         CALL: Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand()                       

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/console/application.php                                           
         LINE: 122                                                                            
         CALL: Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun()                              

LINE: 148                                                                            
         CALL: phpbb\console\application->doRun()                                          

FILE: [ROOT]/install/phpbbcli.php                                                    
         LINE: 52                                                                             
         CALL: Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run()   
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm Have you tried using XAMPP?
No, I suppose once I give up on this I'll give it a try - I've got no idea why it's not working on MAMP. Something not working with the db. I've done this dozens of times with 3.2 and it always works fine, only with 3.3 am I getting this error.

I mean even if I do successfully install it via CLI, phpBB is not going to work - it will throw me out and keep me out once I finish that first session, like I explained before.
teebling

Post by teebling »

I have since got it working on XAMMP, but this isn't ideal for me.

I think I might know what the issue is - I installed Laravel Valet one time on this computer - another local development environment, and I remember it set up daemons to start apache etc. when my computer started.

Although I followed the instructions to uninstall it correctly - perhaps localhost is still, for some reason, using that version of Apache, which differs to the one being used by MAMP, causing some kind of conflict?

Does anyone know of a way to first check if this is the case, and if so, permanently kill that version of apache/disallow it from starting up automatically on boot? I think this could be the issue perhaps.
teebling

Post by teebling »

I've since returned to this issue in vain as I am still encountering the same error in the Apache log when using phpBB 3.3.1 on MAMP (OS X) version 6.0.1: [notice] child pid 3728 exit signal Illegal instruction (4)

New things I've discovered since my last update:
  • This does not occur when trying to install 3.2.10, only 3.3.1. This suggests that it is not my local server configuration at fault, but the app (phpBB) itself. MAMP was clean installed (on a clean OS as well) and once again and tested with multiple PHP versions and multiple versions of MAMP - same result every time.
  • I was able to successfully install 3.2.10, and then successfully upgrade to 3.3.1. Everything looked great and was working fine until I logged out, then tried to log back in again - this throws the [notice] child pid 3728 exit signal Illegal instruction (4) again.
  • I switched from Apache to NGINX just to try it, and once again, the server crashes when I try and log in. This is the error thrown by NGINX: 2020/10/18 14:06:09 [error] 3919#0: *3 upstream prematurely closed connection while reading response header from upstream, client: 127.0.0.1, server: , request: "POST /ucp.php?mode=login&sid=88163eea5e2844c588247326d007e0a5 HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/Applications/MAMP/Library/logs/fastcgi/nginxFastCGI.sock:", host: "localhost:8888", referrer: "http://localhost:8888/" - this suggests to me further that there is an issue with the 3.3.1 full package download when installing on a local environment
If you're just returning to this topic I'd appreciate if you could read again from the start to see what has already been troubleshooted so far.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
AlfredoRamos

Post by AlfredoRamos »

teebling wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 pm This does not occur when trying to install 3.2.10, only 3.3.1. This suggests that it is not my local server configuration at fault, but the app (phpBB) itself. MAMP was clean installed (on a clean OS as well) and once again and tested with multiple PHP versions and multiple versions of MAMP - same result every time.
The branch 3.2.x has different dependencies, so in can still be the server. For example, in 3.2.x the iconv extension is not required, however in 3.3.x it throws warnings/errors if that extension is not enabled.

You could see it as a phpBB error, however in fact is one of its dependencies.
teebling wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 pm switched from Apache to NGINX just to try it, and once again, the server crashes when I try and log in. This is the error thrown by NGINX
The Nginx error is telling you that the upstream server (FastCGI / PHP) is the one that is closing the connection.

It means that even if you use another web server (Apache, Nginx, LiteSpeed, etc), if you use the same FastCGI server with the same configuration, you will get the same error.

Have you tried to contact with MAMP support?

They know their software, so they would be able to help you better.

teebling

Post by teebling »

Hey Abaddon, thanks for getting back to me and sharing your thoughts :)
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm The Nginx error is telling you that the upstream server (FastCGI / PHP) is the one that is closing the connection.
Okay so what you're saying is that it's either MAMP's PHP configuration, or MAMP's Fast CGI configuration that could be closing the connection due to some incompatibility with one of phpBB's dependencies?
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm Have you tried to contact with MAMP support?
Not yet, I'm still gathering as much information as I can to present them with something they can perhaps work with.

You can see on their support forums however that I am not the only one who is experiencing this issue with phpBB specifically - this ticket was posted earlier on this month.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”