Icons not rendering on iPad tablet

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
basslakedan

Icons not rendering on iPad tablet

Post by basslakedan »

Here is the two screen shots that explain the issue.\:
-here it is correct displayed on desktop iMac
desktop.png
desktop.png (8.71 KiB) Viewed 798 times
here it is not rendered correctly on a iPad tablet:
iPad.png
Dr.Death

Re: Icons not rendering on iPad tablet

Post by Dr.Death »

Try to delete the Safari history and website data on your iPad first (Settings, Safari)
Doc.
basslakedan

Post by basslakedan »

Dr.Death wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:18 pm
Try to delete the Safari history and website data on your iPad first (Settings, Safari)
Gave that a try. No joy. Still the same...
david63

Post by david63 »

A link to the site with the problem would help
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
basslakedan

Post by basslakedan »

david63 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:56 pm
A link to the site with the problem would help
here you go: https://www.diy-tobacco.net/
david63

Post by david63 »

Is there any valid reason why you have removed the phpBB copyright from your board?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Doesn't seem likely he's removed it, and you're pointing to yet another symptom of potential problems. Something majorly interrupted the tail end of that template rendering with another document:

diy.png

Maybe "Cocoa HTML Writer" used to edit a template and tried to treat it as a whole & valid HTML document maybe? But I'm guessing the missing FontAwesome icon issue as well as some other issues are potentially related to the missing JavaScript loads that should have been in the epilogue of this document.

Indeed, now you can see it directly: https://www.diy-tobacco.net/styles/prosilver/template/overall_footer.html

basslakedan, that overall_footer.html template file in your prosilver folder has been overwritten with an invalid document. If you had customization in that overall_footer.html file, do you have a backup version of it you can restore? Or at minimum, at least restore the phpBB 3.3.0 version of that file.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yep, you have to stop using that cocoa html writer to open /edit phpbb files. it is corrupting them big time.

only use a good text editor like notepad++ or editpad lite. both are free and very good editors.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
basslakedan

Post by basslakedan »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:39 am
yep, you have to stop using that cocoa html writer to open /edit phpbb files. it is corrupting them big time.

only use a good text editor like notepad++ or editpad lite. both are free and very good editors.
EA117 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:23 am
Maybe "Cocoa HTML Writer" used to edit a template and tried to treat it as a whole & valid HTML document maybe?
I appreiate all these comments. However I did not use an HTML editor. I did not do any direct edits on the files you mention. The only edit I did was as per the instructions related to putting the necessary information in my new server and its related MySQL details into the config.php file.

The issue is browser and platform related. I logged onto another phpBB site that is run by some very knowledgable programmers and see that the exact same issue is on their site as well. I doubt that they could make simple novice mistakes such as using something other than a rigorous programmers text editor to handle their site. Here is that site:
https://forum.pistar.uk

Here is a screen capture on my iPad from that site showing the same issue. Note that they have not modded the footer file to interfere with the Copyright notice which is fully present:
Screen Shot 2020-06-22 at 7.21.44 PM.png
Last edited by basslakedan on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
basslakedan

Post by basslakedan »

I have determined that this is browser related. I logged into both sites with a CHROME Browser running on the iPad. It functions and renders the graphics correctly and as expected with the CHROME Browser. It fails when using a Safari browser on the iPad
EA117

Post by EA117 »

basslakedan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 am
I have determined that this is browser related. I logged into both sites with a CHROME Browser running on the iPad. It functions and renders the graphics correctly and as expected with the CHROME Browser. It fails when using a Safari browser on the iPad
Based on your testing we assume you're right and "the corrupted overall_header.html footer on diy-tobacco.net" is not the root cause of the FontAwesome icon failure you are seeing across both sites & only from Safari. Unfortunately I only have Safari emulators, and not actual Safari-running devices, and cannot see any icon failure on either site under emulation. So someone else who can inspect specifically what's happening under Safari tests will have to speak to that aspect.

But regardless of by whom or how it happened, your overall_header.html template is currently corrupt, and needs to be restored to either your own backup or at least the phpBB 3.3.0 original file. The fact that none of the expected overall_footer.html work is currently being done on your site is certainly the cause of other issues, and not just "omission of copyright." All of phpBB's Javascript assets load from there, as well as for any extensions, and the triggering of cron jobs when ready to run, etc.

All of those functions are currently at risk on your site until the overall_header.html file is fixed.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Cocoa HTML Writer is from a MAC using TextEdit.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
basslakedan

Post by basslakedan »

david63 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:24 pm
Is there any valid reason why you have removed the phpBB copyright from your board?
Anyway, not to beat a dead horse but phpBB is not copyright software. It is copyleft software under tern of the The GNU General Public License which is a free, copyleft license for software and other kinds of works.

Here is a little discussion of the distinction:
While copyright law gives software authors control over copying, distribution and modification of their works, the goal of copyleft is to give all users of the software the freedom to carry out these activities. In this way, copyleft licenses are distinct from other types of free-software licenses, which do not guarantee that all subsequent recipients of the program receive these rights, or the source code needed to make them effective. In particular, permissive free-software licenses such as BSD allow re-distributors to remove some or all of these rights, and do not require distribution of the source code.
This has not been lost on the community for years. see the discussion http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=43277

actually, you in previous discussion stated: viewtopic.php?t=2422136
Re: Can I remove copyright in the footer?
Report Quote
Post by david63 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:37 am

Your board, your files - you can do whatever you want.
However there are some who will not provide support where the copyright has been removed, so the choice is yours.
Out of interest why do you want to remove it after all the hard work that others have done for free for you?
I agree with you there on the concept of "credit where credit is due".. and I have done that on my BBS by leaving the gigantic header which is at the top of every page on my site. I think anyone that visits my site knows it is built with phpBB, and that is the point that needs to be conveyed to the visitor of the site. It is incorrect (a lie really...) to try and intimidate with mis statements that imply "don't touch this as it's COPYRIGHTED !!!" Actually the purpose and spirit of GNU is "have fun and be creative, just keep a chain of credit, and as you state proper regard for, "all the hard work that others have done". I think I have fulfilled that obligation.

On a final technical note: Yes the file on my site has been drastically changed. I can not take credit that, the board was installed originally on a free web-server and that install was done with some sort of auto-install script that came from, who knows where. The whole reason I moved it to a real server was to get out of the grip of that 'free web server environment'. eventually I will put it all back together again, but once Humpty Dumpty falls off the wall it is almost impossible to get him back together to his old self. :LOL:

PS: I have been in PM with robert, and when he gets time he will be looking over the site. He is an known expert at Humpty Dumpty issues, so eventually it will get sorted out. It did occur to me to just FTP the original file from a distribution copy, but, I lost nerve at the last moment, as that sort of thing is out of my pay-grade.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

basslakedan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:08 pm
On a final technical note: Yes the file on my site has been drastically changed. I can not take credit that, the board was installed originally on a free web-server and that install was done with some sort of auto-install script that came from, who knows where. The whole reason I moved it to a real server was to get out of the grip of that 'free web server environment'. eventually I will put it all back together again, but once Humpty Dumpty falls off the wall it is almost impossible to get him back together to his old self. :LOL:
It's not uncommon for host installs to experience errors, especially after moving the board or updating/upgrading.
In many cases this can be solved by installing a new board with files downloaded from phpBB.com and importing the database.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

In many cases this can be solved by installing a new board with files downloaded from phpBB.com and importing the database.
Replacing all the files on your server with the ones from here (except the config.php) is a better approach.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”