PHPBB/XAMPP/Windows: Fix config.php warning?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
techboyg5

PHPBB/XAMPP/Windows: Fix config.php warning?

Post by techboyg5 »

How can I remove this?
Your config file (config.php) is currently world-writable. We strongly encourage you to change the permissions to 640 or at least to 644 (for example: chmod 640 config.php).

I'm using PHPBB locally using XAMPP on Windows.

Running chmod shows the following error:
'chmod' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
EA117

Re: PHPBB/XAMPP/Windows: Fix config.php warning?

Post by EA117 »

Because of the way that PHP builds for Windows will attempt to handle (or not attempt to handle) any more granular mapping of permissions, all you can do is set the "Read Only" file attribute on the config.php file. i.e. In File Explorer, just opening the "Properties" on the config.php file, and selecting the "Read Only" attribute. That will satisfy the test that phpBB is able to perform through PHP APIs.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: PHPBB/XAMPP/Windows: Fix config.php warning?

Post by warmweer »

techboyg5 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:14 pm
How can I remove this?
Your config file (config.php) is currently world-writable. We strongly encourage you to change the permissions to 640 or at least to 644 (for example: chmod 640 config.php).

I'm using PHPBB locally using XAMPP on Windows.

Running chmod shows the following error:
'chmod' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
That warning is there for a web installation and isn't important on a localhost installation, UNLESS you allow access from outside (which you shouldn't allow at all unless you really know what you're doing).
Chmod isn't for Windows anyway: so nothing to worry about either but (as EA117 already mentioned, you could set it to read only - but strictly speaking it's not necessary).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”