Moving to a different directory.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
qcz

Moving to a different directory.

Post by qcz »

Hello,

I'm moving my board to another directory (not host!) on my server. Is it just as simple as moving the files to that directory and changing server settings, or is there more to it?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Moving to a different directory.

Post by Mick »

If all you want to do is change the directory on the same host (for example from myhost/phpbb3 to myhost/forum) then you only need to do two things:

1. ACP> Server Settings> Script Path> Change entry to the new directory name.
2. Using FTP rename the directory to the new name.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
qcz

Post by qcz »

Okay, thanks.

However, it's different then that.

I currently have my forum at the root of my public html folder. I want to create a directory and put it in that. Is it different then that?
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You have backups of course?

Edit the script path then copy the files.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
qcz

Post by qcz »

Okay, thanks!
Internal Server Error

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

actually there is rarely any need for editing the script path. the only time that bit if data is used is on the rare instance of having "Force server URL settings" in the admin panel set to yes.

having said that, it can't hurt to change that setting even if you are not using it.

and yes, you simply create your new folder in the ftp and the highlite and move all the phpbb files/folders into the new folder and you are done.

you may want to add a redirect line in your htaccess file to redirect any outside links from the old to the new.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”