500 error in permissions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
poiu

500 error in permissions

Post by poiu »

I log into acp, I try to log in to Permissions, and I get a 500 error. What does it mean? what can we do?
The funny thing is that I have two forums, in the primary domain and subdomain, and this problem exists in both, but only in permissions and not in the rest of the main admin control panel.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: 500 error in permissions

Post by warmweer »

You'll have to be more clear: once you're logged into the ACP, there's shouldn't be any more logging in necessary and the whole of the ACP should be accessible. If you do have to re-login, perhaps your cookies are wrong (the same cookie and domain for both sites?)

Please post the Support Request Template in order to allow more to the point support.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
poiu

Post by poiu »

No problem connecting. However, in the Control Panel for Chief Administrator you can not log in to the "Permissions" tab, it shows a white page and has a 500 error.
Last edited by Mick on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

poiu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:39 pm
you can not log in to the "Permissions" tab
The point is that you should not be logging into any tabs. Once you login to the Admin Control Panel, you can click on all of the tabs without logging in again.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

poiu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:39 pm
No problem connecting. However, in the Control Panel for Chief Administrator you can not log in to the "Permissions" tab, it shows a white page and has a 500 error.
That's what is strange, as I mentioned (and you should have experience with that), you need a second login to access the ACP, but only once and no further login is required to access the various tabs.
Hence my first idea that it could be a cookie problem (or some incorrect switch between your domain and subdomain).
But without the SRT, too many (probably unnecessary) questions will have to be asked. Post the SRT and then the search can be refined efficiently.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
poiu

Post by poiu »

Brf wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 pm
The point is that you should not be logging into any tabs. Once you login to the Admin Control Panel, you can click on all of the tabs without logging in again.
I didn't understand what "The point is that you shouldn't be logging into any tabs." I just can't get into "permissions". This is not a problem with the phpbb system but the site itself.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

poiu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm
I didn't understand what "The point is that you shouldn't be logging into any tabs." I just can't get into "permissions". This is not a problem with the phpbb system but the site itself.
Permissions.jpg
You mentioned you needed to log in again (after accessing the ACP).
OK, so you don't need to log in. Still, without the SRT, I have nothing to go by. Perhaps others are willing to ask questions which may prove to be a waste of time.
poiu

Post by poiu »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm
You mentioned you needed to log in again (after accessing the ACP).
OK, so you don't need to log in. Still, without the SRT, I have nothing to go by. Perhaps others are willing to ask questions which may prove to be a waste of time.
Sorry, what is SRT?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

poiu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 pm
Sorry, what is SRT?
Support Request Template : link in an earlier post
EA117

Post by EA117 »

poiu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:07 pm
I log into acp, I try to log in to Permissions, and I get a 500 error. What does it mean? what can we do?
The funny thing is that I have two forums, in the primary domain and subdomain, and this problem exists in both, but only in permissions and not in the rest of the main admin control panel.
I presume you just mean "clicking on" the Permissions tab causes this error, and not that there is any "log in" which gets prompted for when clicking on the "Permissions" tab.

The HTTP 500 status is typically an indication of a PHP execution failure. If you or your hosting provider can view the PHP error log on your site, it might contain a more specific error and even a call stack for how the execution failure was encountered.

One such "specifically on the Permissions tab, I get an HTTP 500 error" issue which has been seen more than once is when a phpBB language pack has been incorrectly extracted or installed on a phpBB site, even if the same language pack was then subsequently extracted and installed correctly. There is a "search for custom phpBB Permission language support" which is unique to the "Permissions" page, and can end up "finding" incorrect language files which are "out of position", and causing undefined results.

That's not the only possible cause; it could certainly be an extension which is intentionally providing additional "Permissions" entries somehow falling down on the job and causing an error. Only the PHP error log would say for sure.

But in absence of seeing any log, one thing I would generically check is whether any folders under your phpBB /language folder appear to have mistaken drag-n-drop or extraction position errors. e.g. A language pack that was mistakenly extracted as a sub-folder of the /language folder itself, rather than being extracted to the root of the phpBB board as intended; so that it can update files in multiple folders and not just /language.
poiu

Post by poiu »

Thanks for the detailed response!

Where is "search for custom phpBB Permission language support" located?
And where is the "PHP error log would"?
Last edited by Mick on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes in several places.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

poiu wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm
I'm saying that's an action that phpBB's code is performing internally, and specifically when the "Permissions" tab is being invoked. It's nothing you can "control" or would "find in the ACP" if that's what you're asking. My intention was to confirm "it's an action phpBB performs which is unique to the Permissions tab", and would be why the same misplaced language files aren't "causing an issue elsewhere" in the ACP or your phpBB board.

If this issue is the root cause of what's happening, you "fix" it by cleaning up the /language folder such that it only contains the current and correct language pack files, and no mistakenly duplicated or mis-extracted language files. If you are looking at your /language folder and do not see any incorrectly extracted or duplicated folders under there, then this may not be the root cause of what's happening when you access the "Permissions" tab.

poiu wrote:
You might need to talk to your hosting provider about that. "Sometimes" it exists as its own stand-alone log file, such as "error_log" in your web site folder. But it could also be configured to emit PHP errors into the web server error log, depending on how PHP was configured, and you need to view the web server error log in order to also see PHP errors. Or it could be configured to emit them into the Linux system log, or maybe some log that you can only view through your hosting provider's control panel.

If you're not sure where the PHP errors are logged, and cannot find confirmation of this in the support information provided by your hosting provider, you may need to talk to your hosting provider regarding where (and whether) these PHP error log entries are expected to be available to you.
poiu

Post by poiu »

EA117 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 pm
poiu wrote:
I'm saying that's an action that phpBB's code is performing internally, and specifically when the "Permissions" tab is being invoked. It's nothing you can "control" or would "find in the ACP" if that's what you're asking. My intention was to confirm "it's an action phpBB performs which is unique to the Permissions tab", and would be why the same misplaced language files aren't "causing an issue elsewhere" in the ACP or your phpBB board.

If this issue is the root cause of what's happening, you "fix" it by cleaning up the /language folder such that it only contains the current and correct language pack files, and no mistakenly duplicated or mis-extracted language files. If you are looking at your /language folder and do not see any incorrectly extracted or duplicated folders under there, then this may not be the root cause of what's happening when you access the "Permissions" tab.

I deleted the redundant languages and the problem still exists.
By the way, why is it about language? Is it possible that the problem was caused by adding other extensions?

poiu wrote:

poiu wrote:
You might need to talk to your hosting provider about that. "Sometimes" it exists as its own stand-alone log file, such as "error_log" in your web site folder. But it could also be configured to emit PHP errors into the web server error log, depending on how PHP was configured, and you need to view the web server error log in order to also see PHP errors. Or it could be configured to emit them into the Linux system log, or maybe some log that you can only view through your hosting provider's control panel.

If you're not sure where the PHP errors are logged, and cannot find confirmation of this in the support information provided by your hosting provider, you may need to talk to your hosting provider regarding where (and whether) these PHP error log entries are expected to be available to you.
I do not see a listing of errors, neither in the site folder nor in the forum.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

poiu wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:39 pm
I deleted the redundant languages and the problem still exists.
If you found folders under the /language area which were not supposed to exist, one more action you should try now is to invoke the phpBB ACP "Purge Cache" option, now that those folders have been eliminated. Just to be sure that the folders you removed were not involved in the problem.

poiu wrote:
By the way, why is it about language? Is it possible that the problem was caused by adding other extensions?
Yes, it can be caused by other extensions. Which is why I said, "That's not the only possible cause; it could certainly be an extension which is intentionally providing additional "Permissions" entries somehow falling down on the job and causing an error. Only the PHP error log would say for sure."

"Language" is just a reason for which "my Permissions tab in ACP always crashes" has been seen before. And the root cause of the issue was not obvious, and so I wanted to mention this possibility for you to check. It's not "supposed to be a problem", but is just a side effect created by the way phpBB searches for language files, specifically in relation to the "Permissions" tab.

poiu wrote:
I do not see a listing of errors, neither in the site folder nor in the forum.
Fair enough. Then you'll learn from your hosting provider where you are supposed to be able to see the PHP errors being logged.
poiu

Post by poiu »

Now I realized I was wrong, I didn't check in the right place.
How to see error_log file error type?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”