Topics produce blank pages

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Re: Topics produce blank pages

Post by scooterbird »

JoshyPHP wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 pm
I have not read this topic in its entirety so I may be off the mark but IMO if you're willing to pay a lawyer to send a letter, the best bang for your buck is to pay someone to properly setup and configure your forum. Web hosts' responsibility is to provide a working server, they're not meant to handle the software that runs on it. Some people here provide that kind of service, they'll know how to make sure phpBB runs fine and is configured optimally.
In this case, the lawyer in question is my company's general counsel, so there's no problem there. And I was the one handling the forums, which were fine until this happened.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

Still waiting on the domain transfers to take place, which I've been told would be a while, unfortunately. In the meantime, I thought you may be interested in the call I received yesterday.

We received an after-hours call from Bluehost Support - the first time that they've actually called us. The call was for our general counsel, and somehow ended up on our web designer's line. She forwarded it to me, since our lawyer was at home. I explained that I was the company's president and would handle the call.

"Alright. May I have the last four characters of your password?"
I actually paused for a second. "Well, no. I don't give passwords to anyone when I do not initiate the call. Partial or otherwise."
"Well, she wrote this to us, and it sounds like a very urgent matter."
"It was an urgent matter. She wrote that to you last week."
"Okay...uh...well, we'd like to proceed with the solution..."
"I'm afraid the time for that has passed. The forums have been down for over two weeks. We've already cancelled our service and requested transfer of the domains and data to another host."
This time, he paused for a second. "I see. Well, I'll have to tell my manager that you were unable to verify your account."
Somehow, I kept my composure. "You may tell your manager what you wish. Good evening."

At this point, I'm just going to get them in my rear-view as swiftly as I can, but really, I think everyone should be aware what their level of "service" is. :x
david63

Post by david63 »

scooterbird wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
Still waiting on the domain transfers to take place, which I've been told would be a while
A suggestion. Once you get your domains transferred consider moving them to somewhere like Namesilo so that they are totally separate from your hosting. That way you are not at the behest of a host and can transfer in almost an instant. Domain transfer should take no more than 72 hours to have propagated around the Internet.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
EA117

Post by EA117 »

phpBB says they would like for you to "notify us" about situations like this. I certainly hope not everyone is having this same experience with them, and don't know if I would expect any "action" to be taken if this is a rare or first such report.

But it certainly sounds like an unresolved complication in this case. For what it's worth.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

What you should have done once the new hosting was setup, they would of given you nameservers. You would only need to go into old account and change the nameservers to new ones, this will need to be done at some point no matter what. This can take a few days to propagate but typically you will see the results in hours and the site would begin serving from new host. Then you can then initiate the domain registration transfer. I don't know if you would be able to edit nameservers now because the domain may be locked during transfer.

As David mentioned you really should be using separate service for registration, if this happens again you don't need to deal with both the hosting and domain registration. As side not this one big benefit of using service like Cloudflare, the world sees the site "hosted" on Cloudlafre IP's which never change. On the back end you can switch the IP of the origin server and it's instantly routed to new host, there is no waiting for anything.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

david63 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:33 pm
scooterbird wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
Still waiting on the domain transfers to take place, which I've been told would be a while
A suggestion. Once you get your domains transferred consider moving them to somewhere like Namesilo so that they are totally separate from your hosting. That way you are not at the behest of a host and can transfer in almost an instant. Domain transfer should take no more than 72 hours to have propagated around the Internet.
Yeah, you're correct...in retrospect, that wasn't the best decision that I made. I will give it a bit of time for things to stabilize, and then correct that issue.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

Finally migrated over to GreenGeeks. I will be running some tests.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

scooterbird wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:20 pm
Finally migrated over to GreenGeeks. I will be running some tests.
It looks like there is still an issue. I will be continuing to work on this; it appears there might be a problem with the root-level .htaccess...my Web person is off today, so I am kind of floundering along, but I'm convinced there is a solution to this.

Also, need to enable PHP 7.4 on the server, since that is now an option. Just writing here as a reminder.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

I think I may have just fixed them. Blew away the root-level .htaccess, and the new host doesn't appear to have anything untoward referencing it. Testing is continuing.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

It seems slightly surprising, since the root-level .htaccess shown earlier didn't seem to have much in it other than the BlueHost & cPanel-inserted AddHandler directive.

I think it is fair to say you wouldn't have wanted to transfer any of the BlueHost & cPanel-inserted AddHandler or PHP configuration directives, either for the root-level .htaccess or the one in the phpBB folder. Those directives were what BlueHost wanted or added, but what you want in the .htaccess now is whatever GreenGeeks wants in there for PHP control, if they want anything at all. Configuration of PHP version and settings in your current host may be completely by the control panel, and isn't intending to insert anything about PHP into the .htaccess files.

It's mostly just curiosity, but what was removed from the root-level .htaccess file which seems to demonstrate success now, if the current root-level .htaccess file was any different than the one shown in the previous post.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

EA117 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:50 pm
It seems slightly surprising, since the root-level .htaccess shown earlier didn't seem to have much in it other than the BlueHost & cPanel-inserted AddHandler directive.

I think it is fair to say you wouldn't have wanted to transfer any of the BlueHost & cPanel-inserted AddHandler or PHP configuration directives, either for the root-level .htaccess or the one in the phpBB folder. Those directives were what BlueHost wanted or added, but what you want in the .htaccess now is whatever GreenGeeks wants in there for PHP control, if they want anything at all. Configuration of PHP version and settings in your current host may be completely by the control panel, and isn't intending to insert anything about PHP into the .htaccess files.

It's mostly just curiosity, but what was removed from the root-level .htaccess file which seems to demonstrate success now, if the current root-level .htaccess file was any different than the one shown in the previous post.
There was also the requested upgrade to 7.4 on our server, which didn't "take" immediately, for whatever reason. I removed .htaccess first. Neither seemed to change anything at the time...I had to concentrate on something else yesterday, and when I went back to it today, it was working.

In any case, it now - finally - seems to be working properly, with all extensions in place. I'll admit I'm loathe to touch it again.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”