Topics produce blank pages

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Topics produce blank pages

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

all of which means that whomever you are talking to at your host does not have a clue what they are talking about.

I would at the very least try to find someone at your host that knows what they are doing or probably just find a new host
that does.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
scooterbird
Name: Steve

Post by scooterbird »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:38 am
all of which means that whomever you are talking to at your host does not have a clue what they are talking about.

I would at the very least try to find someone at your host that knows what they are doing or probably just find a new host
that does.
I absolutely agree. My lawyer has sent something to them as well...and I've currently got sales inquiries out to three other hosting companies now - two of which have responded.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

It looks like we have a mildly competent response. I received the following at about 0230 EDT this morning:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for following up with us. I have reviewed the case and I understand your concern regarding the issues with the website and PHP version.

I have checked the PHP logs in the file at ../public_html/error_log and I could see that no logs were not generated after 2018. So, I have added the values 'display_errors = on' and display_errors = on' in ../public_html/php.ini file and made sure that PHP error log is working fine by accessing the page https://atlantic-computing.com/info.php . In order to check, I have added some incorrect codes in the 'info.php' file and found that, the error logs are generating fine to the file ../public_html/error_log . Also, you will be able to view the error logs when accessing the website through browser.

Regarding your concern "this configuration, with no changes, is known working on a local host under PHP 7.4", please note that, as we informed, currently we do not supports PHP version 7.4 on our shared hosting servers.

Currently, I could see that the website and sub-pages are loading fine at the URLs https://atlantic-computing.com/ and https://atlantic-computing.com/forums/ . I see that you have mentioned that the issues with the website are occurring intermittently. So, when you are having any issues with the website please check the PHP error logs by accessing the file ../public_html/error_log (Also you can view the error logs in the browser) and let us know. So that we can check further to know exact issues with the PHP version and website.

Please feel free to reply to this email if you have any further questions, we are happy to help you.

Regards,
Mirshad M
Escalated Support

Why he couldn't then simply run a check against phpBB and take a look at the resultant error himself is beyond me, but such is what we have. I am now seeing a new error generate at that time:

Code: Select all

[06-Apr-2018 23:44:24] PHP Warning:  Missing boundary in multipart/form-data POST data in Unknown on line 0
[06-Apr-2018 23:44:25] PHP Warning:  Missing boundary in multipart/form-data POST data in Unknown on line 0
[15-Jul-2020 00:30:06 America/Boise] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '?', expecting end of file in /home3/theexch9/public_html/info.php on line 3
[15-Jul-2020 00:37:36 America/Boise] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '?', expecting end of file in /home3/theexch9/public_html/info.php on line 3
/info.php in full is:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>
I have visited the forums, caused a blank page to appear, and rechecked error_log. There are no further errors incrementing.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

scooterbird wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm
Why he couldn't then simply run a check against phpBB and take a look at the resultant error himself is beyond me, but such is what we have. I am now seeing a new error generate at that time:

[06-Apr-2018 23:44:24] PHP Warning:  Missing boundary in multipart/form-data POST data in Unknown on line 0
[06-Apr-2018 23:44:25] PHP Warning:  Missing boundary in multipart/form-data POST data in Unknown on line 0
[15-Jul-2020 00:30:06 America/Boise] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '?', expecting end of file in /home3/theexch9/public_html/info.php on line 3
[15-Jul-2020 00:37:36 America/Boise] PHP Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected '?', expecting end of file in /home3/theexch9/public_html/info.php on line 3
Those entries shown are all expected, with the "2018" entries of course being the last issues noted before "no more logging had happened." And then the 15-Jul-2020 entries are the intentional errors which occur due to the malformed info.php script they placed on the site. (And you probably have more such entries now, since I've hit that malformed script too, at least once.)

scooterbird wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:00 pm
I have visited the forums, caused a blank page to appear, and rechecked error_log. There are no further errors incrementing.
Indeed, although the errors likely wouldn't be in that same log file. Since the forums are under https://atlantic-computing.com/forums/, if the php.ini configuration change improved anything, it would be logged in /public_html/forums/error_log rather than /public_html/error_log.

Is that also where you had already checked, and there is still no log file there either? It's certainly possible "there is no PHP execution error", and the blank pages are being caused by "something else." But a PHP error logged in the PHP error log file is just the obvious and first thing to check for and rule out; as you have been trying to do.

Make a copy of the malformed info.php script into the phpBB folder, and then confirm that invoking https://atlantic-computing.com/forums/info.php causes the "expected end of file" error in /public_html/forums/error_log. At that point you will have shown that if the phpBB scripts in that same folder were generating a PHP error, it would have created an error_log entry.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

EA117 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:51 pm
Indeed, although the errors likely wouldn't be in that same log file. Since the forums are under https://atlantic-computing.com/forums/, if the php.ini configuration change improved anything, it would be logged in /public_html/forums/error_log rather than /public_html/error_log.

Is that also where you had already checked, and there is still no log file there either? It's certainly possible "there is no PHP execution error", and the blank pages are being caused by "something else." But a PHP error logged in the PHP error log file is just the obvious and first thing to check for and rule out; as you have been trying to do.
There is no file /public_html/forums/error_log.

As an aside: I am speaking with a number of other hosts right now, and I am pretty sure I've chosen one to migrate to.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I apologise before I start tl;dr.

Can’t you just get a cheap paid hosting and try it? You can do it now, ten minutes. Several (yes several) hosts are offering free hosting for a year if you register your domain with them. Pfftt, if it’s free. Others are less than ¢50/ month.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
EA117

Post by EA117 »

They did already copy the current site to another server, and confirmed everything works as expected:
scooterbird wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 pm
EA117 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:56 pm
Your test of a local server was using a literal copy of your current production site files, as recommended by thecoalman I believe, correct?
Correct. These were downloaded and are working on a server running PHP 7.4 (which again they have been told, even as they insist that phpBB 3.3.0 is not compatible with PHP >7.2).
I don't know all of scooterbird's motivations, but it would bug me that "clearly not everyone running phpBB on BlueHost suddenly went to blank pages and must now abandon BlueHost." Ostensibly there is something more specific to this particular hosting account which is allowing this behavior to occur. So it's more a question of "how soon do I give up on BlueHost helping me find the problem", rather than any question of whether moving would solve the problem.

Maybe see if BlueHost is willing to temporarily give you a second hosting account to test with, in order to try and keep your business? i.e. Without taking down the current production site, a "clean start" with phpBB 7.3 as the default, and you duplicate your database and files there. To prove "this does work even on BlueHost", and it's only your current hosting account with them which has the issue. Might help them look harder at your current hosting account. Or will prove that we're wrong, and it fails the same way; at which point not sure there is anything to do but walk away.

As though "ideas for how to spend even more time on this" are what you were short on.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

we have seen quite a few problems from people hosting on bluehost lately.

and based on some of the replies to support questions we have seen in this topic I think they need to hire support people that know what they are talking about.

bluehost used to have a very good reputation but maybe they have been bought out by one of the giant
hosting companies and have gone downhill like hostgator etc. did.

ropbert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

EA117 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:10 pm
I don't know all of scooterbird's motivations, but it would bug me that "clearly not everyone running phpBB on BlueHost suddenly went to blank pages and must now abandon BlueHost." Ostensibly there is something more specific to this particular hosting account which is allowing this behavior to occur. So it's more a question of "how soon do I give up on BlueHost helping me find the problem", rather than any question of whether moving would solve the problem.

Maybe see if BlueHost is willing to temporarily give you a second hosting account to test with, in order to try and keep your business? i.e. Without taking down the current production site, a "clean start" with phpBB 7.3 as the default, and you duplicate your database and files there. To prove "this does work even on BlueHost", and it's only your current hosting account with them which has the issue. Might help them look harder at your current hosting account. Or will prove that we're wrong, and it fails the same way; at which point not sure there is anything to do but walk away.

As though "ideas for how to spend even more time on this" are what you were short on.
I understand that unusual things may happen to systems in production environments; I've been on that side of the support call quite a few times, and I feel I've given them many opportunities to try something of that nature. I'd be quite amenable to an internal migration. But their support emails - which I've reproduced here - seem to indicate no interest in doing anything but denial of the situation. My general counsel drafted a letter to them detailing the issues and asking for retention to become involved; it got ignored. That lawyer is now saying that given their indemnity written into all their contracts, there is basically no recourse for us except to cut losses and leave.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Bluehost have to be aware, they’ve got thousands of phpBB installations. You’de think . . .
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 pm
we have seen quite a few problems from people hosting on bluehost lately.

and based on some of the replies to support questions we have seen in this topic I think they need to hire support people that know what they are talking about.

bluehost used to have a very good reputation but maybe they have been bought out by one of the giant
hosting companies and have gone downhill like hostgator etc. did.
Yes, this is the first time we have had difficulties anything like this.

Again, problems, and sometimes complicated problems, will occur in production systems. I am much more upset about the poor quality of support and the absolute non-response by sales, management, customer retention, or any other segment of their operation. They seem to have no concern at all for their customers.

Given that, their reputation deserves to take a large hit, and I'll head to a better managed company.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

Received the following this morning. These people are of absolutely no use. How embarrassing.

Hello Steve,

Thank you for getting back to us. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. I completely understand your concern regarding the website issues. I would like to appreciate your patience. I agree that the issue is because of the PHP version that we do not support and I do apologize for this inconvenience. We provide PHP version upto 7.3 so I would request you to check with your website developer to see if there is any possibilities so that the website will support PHP version 7.3 or ask them if there is any other changes that we can do from our end so that the website works without any issues. If they suggest any changes from hosting side and if that is possible to make those changes then we will surely assist you in making those changes.
We are willing to fix the issue for you as soon as possible but we do not have PHP 7.4 installed in the server so we need to try for other alternate ways. Please get back to us if there is any suggestion from developer and we will definitely assist you further.

Again, I want to express my sincerest appreciation for your patience today and if you have any additional questions or concerns regarding this issue, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,
Prakyath R
Escalated Support
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

As you have probably been informed, phpBB works properly with php 7.1 up to 7.4 (and I've used it on all).
If the host (even "escalated" support) don't know that (or can't look that up) - that would be the end of their service to me.
BlueHost? Don't they offer a hostinstall of phpBB? IIRC they do and it's a bit prepostreous when it seems they don't know the minimum and maximum requirements.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
scooterbird

Post by scooterbird »

Well, after a bit of shopping, I indeed left Bluehost today and headed on to GreenGeeks. Not the cheapest, but they did respond with some knowledge of what I was doing, and have a more inclusive package, so I will hopefully be paying fewer hidden costs.

Again, thank you to everyone here for your assistance.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

I have not read this topic in its entirety so I may be off the mark but IMO if you're willing to pay a lawyer to send a letter, the best bang for your buck is to pay someone to properly setup and configure your forum. Web hosts' responsibility is to provide a working server, they're not meant to handle the software that runs on it. Some people here provide that kind of service, they'll know how to make sure phpBB runs fine and is configured optimally.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”