invisible recaptcha ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
mrix2000

invisible recaptcha ?

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello all, in 3.3 I was wondering if the invisible Recaptcha is now a good spam deterrent ?
Thanks for any feedback
janus_zonstraal

Re: invisible recaptcha ?

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Better use a good Q&A Captcha
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

mrix2000 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Hello all, in 3.3 I was wondering if the invisible Recaptcha is now a good spam deterrent ?
No better or worse in terms of "deterrent" than checkbox reCAPTCHA, I would say. The benefit of "invisible" is for your users, in that reCAPTCHA might not present any additional challenge, and not even the initial checkbox selection is required. Less friction for the users the reCAPTCHA is not intending to block.

Any improvements Google could make in terms of "deterrent" they have been constantly making behind the scenes all along, and are also able to make in the checkbox version. As is part of the benefit when using reCAPTCHA. If Q&A suits your needs or desires more, a suitably esoteric question will be successful that way too. And whenever its cracked, you just have to come up with another suitably esoteric question.
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Hello and thanks for the replies, looks as if I will be sticking with my QA.
I simply did not want to continue using the QA if there was a updated better system in 3.3
eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji »

I changed over to the invisible recapcha soon after 3.3.0 was released and can confidently say it's working well on my board.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Not using invisible yet, but "checkbox" has been working great for me, too. The "no better or worse" statement was just meant to confirm you don't expect some specific change in "deterrent" compared to checkbox. Anything Google can do in invisible in terms of detection, they can do in checkbox. The improvement and usage that changes with "invisible" are just in the APIs and the friction presented to the user.

For anyone hitting on this discussion later, I remember seeing a nice screen shot of the version selection you'll see in your Google administration account when choosing what kind of keys to generate. That screen shot was here: https://developers.google.com/recaptcha/docs/versions
mrix2000

Post by mrix2000 »

Have started using the invisible recaptcha and so far its been pretty good :D 8-)
I`ll update if things change at any point.
Thanks
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

Invisible ReCaptcha just makes it more convenient and less of a hassle for people to register, that's if they pass it and don't need answer any questions on images like the older version.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”