Contact Us Metadata Question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
CGI1984

Contact Us Metadata Question

Post by CGI1984 »

We often receive Contact Us emails through the website where the person references something on the page they were on when they clicked the Contact Us link. They often don't give us enough information about the topic though so sometimes we don't know which topic they are talking about. I guess they assume we will know based on where they clicked the Contact Us link from. I wish we did.

So I am wondering if there is any way to have the emails we receive automatically add in some additional metadata which gives us a link to the page they were on on the site when they clicked the Contact Us link?

This way we can more easily track where they came from and more importantly know what they are talking about and reply to them correctly. Thanks.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Contact Us Metadata Question

Post by KevC »

Why don't they use the post report option instead. Then you know exactly where it's from.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

Thank you, but people aren't reporting posts. They are referring to them and asking questions. And we also can't control how they reach out to us. That is why we would like to be able to see the metadata from the page they were on when they clicked the Contact Us link.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

never seen that asked for before.
as far as I know, that is not something that phpbb can do without an extension.

you would need to request an extension in the extension request forum.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

......And then you might have to explain the bigger picture of what's going on so someone can understand the reasoning better. What is the subject of the topics that means people have to 'report' them in some way to you anyway? Surely doing it within the topic report system makes far more sense. Or is it better to educate them to do it that way than with the contact page?
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
david63

Post by david63 »

CGI1984 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 am
And we also can't control how they reach out to us.
You can if you disable the "Contact Us Form"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Agreed it would potentially be useful to know what page the user had been on when they decided to click Contact Admin. Regardless of whether that ends up being useful in all cases or not, and regardless of whether it was in context of a specific post or forum or not.

No, there isn't anything already in phpBB which is attempting to do that for the "Contact Us" page. Sounds like an easy enhancement that could be posted in the Ideas list for future consideration.

It wouldn't be too much change in /phpbb/message/admin_form.php to simply append the HTTP referer header value to the message body. But the solution really should have better functionality than that.
CGI1984

Post by CGI1984 »

We used to use a contact form and spam filter plug-in on a Wordpress site that would pull in a whole bunch of metadata into contact emails coming in through the website contact page.

It was really handy. It would give you a link to quickly look-up the IP that was shown in the email, it would also give you links to immediately ban or blacklist the sender in your site settings if you wanted to. All really great stuff.

Having all this stuff makes the work of dealing with a lot of site emails everyday a lot easier for site admins. The more you can know or do about a sender of a site contact email with just a few clicks makes life a lot easier for site admins.

Knowing the last post the sender was looking at before they hit the contact form would be useful anyway just to get an idea of what people are looking at on the site when they decide to make contact.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Why can’t the users in question just reply to the topic they want to report or talk about In a post like a bulletin board normally works?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Mick wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:39 am
Why can’t the users in question just reply to the topic they want to report or talk about In a post like a bulletin board normally works?
Because they aren't trying to "talk to the participants in the post." Nor are they necessarily even looking at a post or forum, and may instead be on a login page, a FAQ page, a UCP page, etc.

The user is trying to invoke Contact Us, and the "new information to be revealed" is for the admin receiving that contact request. "Feedback" and similar links on web sites include such information, so that you have it regardless of whether the user thought to include it in their message.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

But feedback for what? I still don't get what people are contacting you about. I hardly ever get contacted by users on my sites.
Cheap UK Hosting
DBG1

Post by DBG1 »

KevC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:06 pm
But feedback for what? I still don't get what people are contacting you about. I hardly ever get contacted by users on my sites.
Not every site allows guest posting. And not everyone wants to sign up for a member account to post. So I assume some people may send a message using the contact us link if they have a question. One size doesn't always fit all and I would also be in favor of having more meta data received with site mails. More is more and having it sounds like it can help some people.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”