rare SQL search errors in subforums Unpublished post and apache error.log

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
alumnoxxi

rare SQL search errors in subforums Unpublished post and apache error.log

Post by alumnoxxi »

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3
What is your board's URL? https://mysite.com/
Who do you host your board with? azureVPS
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Do you have any extensions installed? yes
Google Analytics
PlanetStyles Flight Deck (v2) (Extension for style options)
Recent Topics
SEO Metadata

What styles do you currently have installed? Milk_Theme
What language(s) is your board currently using? spanish
Which database type/version are you using? MYSQL Mariadb
What is your level of experience? New to PHPB33
When did your problem begin? Errors with SQL queries in forums and posts that sometimes are not published

Hi there
Currently I have had complaints from users who try to create a post, they send it and then nothing is published, wasting the time invested in it (I suspect that it usually happens when it coincides that there are 30/40 simultaneous users on the web).

I have looked at the apache errors in error.log and I have only found this (they seem errors but from SQL timeout to the DB)
xx] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in
/var/www/com/public_html/vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php on line 603, referer:
https://.com/search.php?sid=41f4ecb33b2b34310176203de54f8cd0 [Tue Jul 28 20:54:05.930772 2020] [php7:error] [pid 3620] [client
xx] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in
/var/www/.com/public_html/vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php on line 603, referer:
https://.com/search.php?sid=41f4ecb33b2b34310176203de54f8cd0 [Tue Jul 28 20:54:08.899350 2020]
, I think that this may rather be oriented to when it comes to filtering in the categories to find a post Specifically there are times that it fails, I don't know why and throw a nice 500 if I remember correctly, at the time I already deleted and rebuilt the dictionary index, but there are still times that it continues to fail. Ok, I just checked it, if you look for UGR in this subforum [url]https://.com/viewforum.php?f=47[/url](I suppose it happens in all of them) you get an error 500, I don't know why, when if you look for example UCAM or UAM it works fine. Yes, I just checked it, the error I have made from apache exactly is the one it throws when a search SQL query like the mentioned one fails. How to solve this? And how do I debug the other mentioned error.

Thanks for the help
Last edited by alumnoxxi on Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: rare SQL search errors in subforums Unpublished post and apache error.log

Post by RMcGirr83 »

alumnoxxi wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 pm
Which extensions do you have installed?
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Which extensions do you have installed?
alumnoxxi wrote:
Google Analytics
PlanetStyles Flight Deck (v2) (Extension for style options)
Recent Topics
SEO Metadata

Edited
RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Which search index are you using?
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:12 am
Which search index are you using?
phpBB Native Fulltext

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Enable, or ask your webhost to enable the mbstring extension in PHP's configuration.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

JoshyPHP wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 am
Enable, or ask your webhost to enable the mbstring extension in PHP's configuration.
I just installed it, now in a peak of low server inactivity or else tonight I restart Apache and I tell you
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

JoshyPHP wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 am
I just checked it, enabling the mbstring module solved all search problems and even increased the speed of queries (some were done but with a delay of 3/4 seconds).

Regarding the topic of some users (very few) who have commented on the topic that when publishing the post when sending it, the topic was not published and they lost what was written, how I face this error, I looked in Apache but I did not find no associated log, could it be associated with mbstring in some way?

Thank you for your invaluable help.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

probably the poster waited too long or backed away from the post to a different page and lost the text.

or, if they are using the quick reply and for some reason click on the post reply button above the quick reply box instead of the submit button below the quick reply box, that will cause that issue.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

alumnoxxi wrote:
PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in
/var/www/com/public_html/vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php on line 603
polyfill-mbstring emulates the mbstring functions in pure PHP. That makes it much slower and pages that use mbstring functions a lot can end up taking an impractical amount of time to complete, leading to a timeout.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 pm
probably the poster waited too long or backed away from the post to a different page and lost the text.

or, if they are using the quick reply and for some reason click on the post reply button above the quick reply box instead of the submit button below the quick reply box, that will cause that issue.

robert
I think you just found the problem, since there are currently people on my website that can take 30/40 minutes to write a post to create a post. In other words, they spend 30/40 minutes formulating their post (writing, thinking, etc.).

I thought that this really wasn't really a problem in phpBB, which would be related to the user losing their session attributes or something similar? As you can see I'm digressing a bit on the assumptions, is there any parameter that I can modify from the ACP to fix this
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

Give the topic closed, and I move the main error (topics that are not sent) to a new thread, since now I have the detected error and I can provide more information and narrow it down. Here the issue has already been empozoñao in secondary issues of queries to the BD that were successfully resolved

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”