Starting a forum website

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
shmuelman

Re: Starting a forum website

Post by shmuelman »

I understand you don't want to offend me, but will I have compatibility problems with my already installed software? Someone said "just unzip it," so in that case does it install itself as a Windows service? I will have to find out. If not, I will have to make sure when the system reboots it starts again. What about my already running version of MariaDB, will there be conflicts with integrated MySQL? Will I need to reconfigure the ports, or can I use my current installation? Will this conflict with port 80 / 8080? After you do it once, it is certainly easyier prior to that, my very long experience is if you try to install this kind of software on an already running system, there can be significant problems due to conflicts. No offense, but it's my time, and having a glib response that's it's just so easy, take a flyer on it, is not helpful.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that was not a glib response. it is fact.
usbwebserver is a stand alone program. it does not need to be installed to windows. you simply unzip it into a folder of your choice.
it contains apache, mysql and phpmyadmin.

I believe it even uses port 8080 just so there won't be any conflicts if you have something already using port 80

you can even click on the settings in the popup when you start usbwebserver and change the port it is using for that and also for mysql before you start creating websites and databases etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

shmuelman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:48 pm ... but will I have compatibility problems with my already installed software? Someone said "just unzip it," so in that case does it install itself as a Windows service? I will have to find out. If not, I will have to make sure when the system reboots it starts again. What about my already running version of MariaDB, will there be conflicts with integrated MySQL? Will I need to reconfigure the ports, or can I use my current installation? Will this conflict with port 80 / 8080? After you do it once, it is certainly easyier prior to that, my very long experience is if you try to install this kind of software on an already running system, there can be significant problems due to conflicts.
As Lumpy said, basically there is no installation, just unzip and start it up. port 80 or 8080 can be used for apache , and you can choose yourself which port for MySQL. It can be used alongside Wampserver or others as long as you use different MySQL ports for each.
It's probably the easiest webserver software to start with, and the most lightweight. Start up the .exe when you need it, close it when you don't, it doesn't add or change anything to your PC settings.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
alumnoxxi

Post by alumnoxxi »

Euss wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:25 pm
**As you speak of fraternities, I understand what you mean to place the forum in the United States?

If so, it wouldn't work, since there are many sites created for that already there** and your happy idea of creating conversations between students and teachers? I anticipate, it will not work, because a teacher was going to expose himself to publish comments publicly with what that entails?

Edit: saw you stay in philipines
Last edited by Mick on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.
Euss

Post by Euss »

alumnoxxi wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 pm
As you speak of fraternities

your happy idea of creating conversations between students and teachers? I anticipate, it will not work, because a teacher was going to expose himself to publish comments publicly with what that entails?
To be honest, I haven't tried searching the official website of some of the fraternies in my country until you mentioned. But what I mean is a forum dedicated to show a student-organized fraternity chapter in a university, not the fraternity as a whole but the students and its alumni within the university. Specifically to show their activities and achievements as well as their 'abouts'. I remember seeing a a certain bulletin board in our campus for showcasing an organization such as fraternities. But yeah, it could also be discussion forum between students and teachers about what could they do to improve and help the university and such.
Euss

Post by Euss »

I have properly uploaded phpBB3 into the root directory. When I click the intall button it says the installer has detected a timeout. I have no idea where the timeout settings is and I don't know what's a CLI. https://i.imgur.com/tMXIfXM.png
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Since you have no experience with phpBB (nor server software, I strongly suggest you play around with phpBB on your PC first.
Use USBWebserver (the link Lumpy provided) to get to know the installation and setup.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Euss

Post by Euss »

warmweer wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:16 am Since you have no experience with phpBB (nor server software, I strongly suggest you play around with phpBB on your PC first.
Use USBWebserver (the link Lumpy provided) to get to know the installation and setup.
Yeah, I spent a week learning the board, creating forums, assigning usergroups and permissions. It's the localhost and I still use it for testing purposes. I'm just having trouble in the installation part. It took me straight in localhost so I thought it would also be that simple when creating a live one.
Euss

Post by Euss »

There's something at the end of the site URL. It always has like 'index.php?=something'. Is it normal? I remember it doesn't show like that yesterday when I browse pages.
david63

Post by david63 »

Euss wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:58 am There's something at the end of the site URL. It always has like 'index.php?=something'. Is it normal? I remember it doesn't show like that yesterday when I browse pages.
Quite normal. It will depend on where you are and whether you are logged in or not as to what is actually shown.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Euss

Post by Euss »

Alright, thanks. Also, my site sometimes experience error 401 when I switch styles. Although the style is the same version as my phpBB3.
halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

Euss wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 am Alright, thanks. Also, my site sometimes experience error 401 when I switch styles. Although the style is the same version as my phpBB3.
do not delete the default style. system crashes.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
Euss

Post by Euss »

halil16 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:37 am do not delete the default style. system crashes.
Okay thank you. I won't.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”