After updating to 3.3.1 I have problem with mobile menus

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
HaioPaio

Re: After updating to 3.3.1 I have problem with mobile menus

Post by HaioPaio »

I am one of the many users who did not participate in testing of the release candidate.
I have multiple Testsites and I didn't test. Who knows if I would have identified the described problem.
At least, it would have prevented me from blaming it to the programming volunteers.

It is not fair to say "the software was not properly tested by the programmers".
Taking part of the user community task of testing RCs is essential for the quality of free software. And I admit that I have failed.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

This particular bug could not have been tested as I said, it was introduced after the 3.3.1-rc1 test version and we didn't get a chance to test a 3.3.1-rc2 version. So it's okay, it was a necessary act, for security. Nothing happened, we're safer and we also have the fix merged and published in practically no-time. Or would you have preferred to wait another month or two before the release?
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, well then a new question:
Do you know whether a *) 3.3.1-PL1 will appear? It could be useful, especially since forum_fn.js is affected (this is not necessarily insert in all designs).

*) Or does this not work at all due to the advanced versions / version controls?

Thank you and best regards
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

3Di wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:53 pm
This particular bug could not have been tested as I said, it was introduced after the 3.3.1-rc1 test version and we didn't get a chance to test a 3.3.1-rc2 version. So it's okay, it was a necessary act, for security. Or would you have preferred to wait another month or two before the release?
Yes there should have been a 3.3.1-RC2 version, for extensive testing of the new changes. To release 3.3.1 with such a bug is not normal.
Why does everything suddenly always have to go too fast? Well, everything is always going faster - but a thorough preliminary check should still be possible.
Isn't it common practice not to validate a FINAL version before everything has been checked - to submit it to the responsible developers and team members for review and validation before release?
Or have the validations and structures been changed in such a way that such and/or other types of errors go unnoticed in the final versions?

By the way: You may now constantly declare that it is not a fault of our styles.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
Nature, the handicraft style for everyone, is updated to 3.3.2.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I'll play :)
Why does everything suddenly always have to go too fast? Well, everything is always going faster - but a thorough preliminary check should still be possible.
Because if it isn't released "quickly" people complain with "What's taking so long", "When will 3.3.1 come out" etc, etc, ad nauseum. Pretty sure you were aware there was a RC version as I see you are on area51. 3.3.1 was released due to a security vulnerability which, IMHO, takes precedence in fixing than ensuring a drop down menu works correctly (which as far as I'm aware was found out by someone viewing the ACP on their phone.
Isn't it common practice not to validate a FINAL version before everything has been checked - to submit it to the responsible developers and team members for review and validation before release?
It, normally, isn't the developers duties to test changes. I highly doubt if every single thing can be completely vetted by a testing team. Things are bound to get missed. Saying that, the page could have been posted to W3c validator which would have shown the error rather quickly but it still wouldn't have been fixed prior to 3.3.4. Just like the PM issue that was found wasn't immediately released as another version.

There are close to 640 folders in a download of phpBB. Even some of the third party libraries in use have run into things not working correctly.
Or have the validations and structures been changed in such a way that such and/or other types of errors go unnoticed in the final versions?
No one is perfect and without fault. This is a minor snafu as opposed to a full blown security vulnerability and it's being taken WAY out of context IMHO.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
mamba

Post by mamba »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:46 pm
not sure where you worked in IT but it must not have been in software testing.
Spent several years in software QA, mainframe systems. I'm old.
just think about microsoft and their release policies in the past to see how software releases very often work out.
Why pick one of the worst companies as a benchmark?

Lots of excuse makers here I see, but nobody saying "Sorry. We'll do better next time".

The nice thing about Elon Musk is that he always accepts responsibility and tries to do better.

(cue the haters and excuse makers in 3, 2, 1....)
Using 3.3, PHP version 7.4, MySQL 5.6, Host: HawkHost shared Linux, Style: Prosilver
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

mamba wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:41 am

The nice thing about Elon Musk is that he always accepts responsibility and tries to do better.
It is easy to find fault, it is infinitley more difficult to provide a solution. Many employers don't want to hear how you found "this, that and the other' wrong, they are most interested in how YOU can improve upon what you found.
(cue the haters and excuse makers in 3, 2, 1....)
Physician heal thyself.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
mamba

Post by mamba »

I'm just saying (again) that there have been a few buggy releases in the last few years. This was not so prevalent a decade ago, so it's not a positive change. I'm not sure why it's happening, but the net effect on users is negative. More and more we feel we should delay implementing updates because we don't want to be the testers, the guinea pigs. Some of us will be pushed to other solutions (there is no shortage of forum software out there). Don't take the user base for granted.

/rant over.
Using 3.3, PHP version 7.4, MySQL 5.6, Host: HawkHost shared Linux, Style: Prosilver
ssl
Name: Fred

Post by ssl »

Hi mamba
I do not understand this relentlessness. The important thing is not the bug when a solution to the problem is provided quickly
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”