how to not lose color changes when updating?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
millipede

how to not lose color changes when updating?

Post by millipede »

I'm only at 3.2.8 at the moment. I held off on going to 3.3 for a while. Last time I updated I lost all the color changes I had done to my board. I didn't have a theme installed or anything, I just modified the files necessary to change colors where I wanted them changed.
When updating, it just installs the default theme fresh so, as is, I'd have to keep track of which files and lines of code I edited and then go back and change them all after updating.
Is there any easier way than manually changing them all back one at a time?
ssl
Name: Fred

Re: how to not lose color changes when updating?

Post by ssl »

millipede wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:09 pm
Is there any easier way than manually changing them all back one at a time?
Hi
Yes! It is not advisable to modify the files of Prosilver, in this case if you want to be sure to keep your style with your own modifications, you have to create a custom style inherited from Prosilver.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!
millipede

Post by millipede »

Creating a custom style? How much work is that? And, If I did something like that, wouldn't that style need to be updated each time phpbb updated?
Lots going on in my life right now and don't want to think about this but, don't want to go with the basic prosilver theme...
ssl

Post by ssl »

With a theme inherited from Prosilver you don't use the templates, since they are inherited ... And in this case you don't have to worry about them during the updates.

Otherwise you don't transfer the Prosilver style of the new version, and you modify it by hand by following the procedure: https://area51.phpbb.com/code-changes/3 ... -prosilver
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Make your own style is 15min work if you know what you have to do.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
ssl

Post by ssl »

I am thinking about something. Your personalization you made it entirely in the stylesheet.css of Prosilver?
millipede

Post by millipede »

ssl wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:56 pm
I am thinking about something. Your personalization you made it entirely in the stylesheet.css of Prosilver?
No, I edited several css files, like colours.css I think.
IF I had access to my desktop(I don't) I could open up notepad++ and see which files I had edited.
ssl

Post by ssl »

OK
Download the custom style .zip file for version 3.2.8 here https://caforum.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22

And do yourn own style by using your CSS codes before updating
millipede

Post by millipede »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Make your own style is 15min work if you know what you have to do.
So, I found https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... bb3-style/
Looks simple enough... Question for that... when you update, does the prosilver folder/files change each time?
So if I update to 3.3.1 it will revert me to the original prosilver. I can then edit the css files necessary to make it look how I want it but, I would do this as some custom style so prosilver is not touched... I get how to download and upload that... though I might not do it via ftp... I have filezilla on my pc and that's easier but I don't have my pc right now and am on a chromebook with only so much storage so I'm not installing much. I can download and upload via Cpanel though so that's not a problem...
So the question is, when it goes to 3.3.2, will the files in prosilver change? Will my custom style need to be edited to be up to date? Or how about when it goes to 3.4 some day? I'm assuming the prosilver style changes at times whether it's bug fixes or features and functionality...
So, I'm thinking, IF prosilver files are different from phpBB version to version, if I just use my custom style it might not be up to date?

Is that question making sense? I hope I didn't overexplain what I'm getting at.
janus_zonstraal

Will my custom style need to be edited to be up to date?
That depend how much changes you made, if you only did edit your colour.css than that is the only file in your custom style and you probably never has to edit it in the next ten years.
But if you edit also some templates files than its a different story.
millipede

Post by millipede »

It was definitely more than one css file. But basically I'm asking, if during an update to phpBB, if the prosilver folder gets changed at all, the custom style isn't going to be automatically changed right? And then using that custom theme, I'd be running something not fully up to date, unless I update the custom theme as well...
I'm thinking that's where looking at the changed files would be useful?
Am I overthinking this? Or am I making sense?

And thanks...

Edit: for instance... I'm assuming the default prosilver folder from 3.2.8 is going to different from the current 3.3.1 prosilver folder... And updating the forum software isn't going to automatically update the /mystyle/ folder once I have one.
Last edited by millipede on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janus_zonstraal

But basically I'm asking, if during an update to phpBB, if the prosilver folder gets changed at all, the custom style isn't going to be automatically changed right?
Yes right
I'd be running something not fully up to date, unless I update the custom theme as well...
Yes
I'm thinking that's where looking at the changed files would be useful?
Yes
ssl

Post by ssl »

millipede wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 pm
Edit: for instance... I'm assuming the default prosilver folder from 3.2.8 is going to different from the current 3.3.1 prosilver folder...
Of coure
And updating the forum software isn't going to automatically update the /mystyle/ folder once I have one.
Yes
millipede

Post by millipede »

Okay... got it. Thanks.
I'm going to take the time to look at the files and the lines I've edited... will take a while... but this time, I'll write them all down and then save them in a file so I wont have to go through this process and worry next time.

Now I just have to go read about updating again as there's always a step or two I forget...
Years ago I used the automatic updates and they always worked well... These days I have to use the full package but it will all be okay. :)
Thanks again.
ssl

Post by ssl »

You'll spend more time editing Prosilver files than updating a custom style.
But as you want

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”