how to not lose color changes when updating?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
millipede

Re: how to not lose color changes when updating?

Post by millipede »

ssl wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:40 pm
You'll spend more time editing Prosilver files than updating a custom style.
But as you want
ah, you're right. Would be better to download my current prosilver folder, change the name, then look to the changed files from 3.28 to 3.3.1
I'll give that a try...
BUT... I do want to, as tiresome as it is, go through each of the changes I've made and write down what each was and where it was in case I lose something or, for when I decide I want to change the colors all over again. :)
I'm a picky perfectionist and I can never get things EXACTLY how I want them so changes will happen at some point, I'm sure.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

ah, you're right. Would be better to download my current prosilver folder, change the name, then look to the changed files from 3.28 to 3.3.1
I'll give that a try...
1)Download your current prosilver folder
2)Delete every file your did not edit
3) edit your stylesheet.css so that it is pointing to the css files from prosilver for the files you did nor edit.
4) give the folder a new name.
5) edit the name also in the style.cfg from your new style.
6) upload the folder and install the new style
7) check for errors.
8) ready
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
millipede

Post by millipede »

Ok, I'll give that a try at some point. Right now I'm still inspecting elements to write down what I've changed so I'll know where to look if/when I decide to change something again.
I'm used to using firefox to inspect elements and that would show me what line each item was in the css files. Chrome doesn't seem to be showing me that. Oh well.

Side note... quick look at the 3.2.8 to 3.3.1 change files, common.css and colours.css are both in there so, does that mean those files have changed since 3.2.8? So far, those are two that I have tweaked.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

For one site that uses the same style for everything I do not find the custom style needed or even useful. Makes little sense because you're overriding stock files that have changes you need... Different styles have purpose such as if you had classified section and wanted to change how it's displayed.

Download Winmerge, there is similar tools for other OS's. This allows you to make visual comparison of files and merge your edits into new file.

Point it at the folder for your copy of CSS files and compare to phpBB stock files. It's even easier if you have commented your custom edits.

Code: Select all

/* My custom CSS edit */
Winmerge also allows you to compare three documents. You could have the file for your current version in left pane, your changes to that file in center pane and the new file in right pane.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”