BB 3.3.1 upgrade will only work with pHp 5.6

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
bevanc

BB 3.3.1 upgrade will only work with pHp 5.6

Post by bevanc »

Hi folks,
First posting from a beginner. I have used the template.
Thanks,
Bevan

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.1
What is your board's URL? http://n/a
Who do you host your board with? secureuk7
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.1
What extensions do you have installed? Gallery
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver only
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5.6.40-84.0
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB

What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable?

After being prompted that our BB version was out of date, we followed the "full package" instructions for upgrading from 3.2 to 3.3. We got an "update successful" message, with no errors shown, however there were 6 items that were skipped. Unfortunately we did not take a screen shot of those "skipped" messages. System tab in the acp shows version 3.3.1, so it appears to have successfully updated.

Please describe your problem.

The 3.3 upgrade documentation states that pHp ver 7.1+ is required. Prior to the upgrade, the forum was using ver 5.6. Immediately following the update, the forum became inaccessible, with a mysql error message being displayed.
So here is the problem: the forum is accessible only if we set the pHp version back to 5.6, which we have done.
We do not understand why this might be and are wondering if the upgrade was actually successful, since the documentation seems clear that BB3.3.1 won't work with pHp 5.6, but we find it will only work with 5.6. See attached screenshot of board details.
Generated by SRT Generator
Attachments
Board details.png
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: BB 3.3.1 upgrade will only work with pHp 5.6

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

Make sure the PHP (not phpBB) modules mysqli and iconv are enabled, in your PHP configuration settings page, from your hosting control panel.

And eplace mysql with mysqli in your config.php file.

A PHP version equal or higher than 7.1.3 is indeed required.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
bevanc

Post by bevanc »

Thanks for the prompt response; will give that a try.
Cheers, Bevan
bevanc

Post by bevanc »

Hello again,
We now have phpBB running on V7.1.3 as per the previous guidance, many thanks.

However, there are still two obvious issues:
1/ If I try to change a members’ email address I get the error shown in the screenshot below.
2/ There’s a very similar error when registering - see screenshot

I have found in cpanel a “phpmyadmin” link which allows me to look at the sql database.
It’s a nightmare for someone like me who is woefully ignorant, but one thing is obvious: there is no “user_email_hash” column just “user_email”.

Any guidance on how to proceed would be most welcome !
Many thanks,
Bevan
Attachments
change user email error.jpg
user registration error.jpg
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

The column user_email_hash was removed from phpBB since version 3.3.0, so the upgrade from phpBB 3.2.1 to 3.3.1 was not successful.

Did you remove all files and directories, except the ones mentioned in the upgrade guide?

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/

Because user_email_hash is being requested from various files inside the includes/ and phpbb/ directories, which could mean that, at least those directories, are still the ones from phpBB 3.2.

Overwriting files and directories could cause problems, you actually need to remove them before upload the new ones.

See the guide above.
bevanc wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:32 pm
download/file.php?id=247606&mode=view
Is that the whole error message? Because sometimes it shows other files too.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
P_I

Post by P_I »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:59 am
A PHP version equal or higher than 7.1.3 is indeed required.
For what it's worth, although the phpBB 3.3.x minimum version of PHP is 7.1.3 per the phpBB 3.3 Release Announcement,
Marc wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:54 am
The minimum supported PHP version has been increased to PHP 7.1.3 while support for PHP 7.3 and PHP 7.4 has been added. Fixed security issues in 3.2.9 are part of this release as well.
the PHP 7.1.x branch has reached EOL near the end of 2019 and it should be highly recommended to use one of the PHP Currently Supported Versions, i.e. PHP 7.3 or PHP 7.4.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Indeed, but PHP 7.1.3 it is and still remains the min. PHP version required.
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Continued reference to user_email_hash can also simply be an extension that is otherwise working on phpBB 3.3.x, but was not actually updated for compatibility to phpBB 3.3.x. One such extension identified earlier was "OneAll social login", although that's not to say it's the only one. Any phpBB 3.2.x extension could have required a query which involved the user_email_hash column, if handling an action related to user account information, and would still be attempting to do this on phpBB 3.3.x where the column no longer exists.

So also try disabling Gallery, and any extension other than Gallery which may now be installed, to see if the issue persists. Before continuing on the assumption that it could also be a damaged upgrade or incorrect set of phpBB files.
bevanc

Post by bevanc »

Thanks guys.
We thought followed the upgrade doc instructions to the letter, but obviously we screwed up. Will follow above suggestions. We do have a gallery extension, so may as well deactivate that initially to see if that resolves things; if not, its back to square one and redo the upgrade i guess.
Cheers, Bevan
bevanc

Post by bevanc »

Hi folks,
To close off this topic (I hope):
We have redone the update as recommended without the Gallery extension; all functionality seems to have been restored and we are running on the appropriate pHp version.
Thank you so much for your collective assistance; i appreciate that it must be frustrating responding to queries from those who are in way over their head.
Cheers, Bevan
bevanc

Post by bevanc »

Hi again,

Thought we were all up and running correctly on 3.3.1, from a user and admin perspective, but just noticed an oddity that is a bit worrying:

Our BB sits in a subfolder: ...../members/Forum/
Before upgrading, we took an entire copy and saved it in ....../members/Forum_Archive/forum_090920/

The upgraded forum seems to functioning correctly, but I just noticed that the backup copy is also being updated with user posts . how on earth could this be happening ? I had been about to delete it, but now I'm not sure what is going on.

Cheers, Bevan
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

You tied them both to the same database instead of assigning a separate database to each copy I think.

Create a separate database for the backup copy and modify the config.php file of the copy accordingly.
Webseite, Blog, Wiki Deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
bevanc

Post by bevanc »

Thanks, that makes sense :)

Both config.php files contain: dbname = 'panthero_phpbb32'; $dbuser = 'panthero_phpbb32';

We don't actually need the entire backup forum, so I guess we can just trash the archived one.

Cheers, Bevan

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”