ACP does not display on a fresh install

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
rddorsett

ACP does not display on a fresh install

Post by rddorsett »

After testing phpBB on a virtual partition on my computer, I uploaded the site to my server. Both sites ran CentOS 7. I found phpBB failed any time I went to the ACP: nothing would appear in the browser. I am running CentOS 7.8.2003 on both systems, but the server is hosted under CPanel.

After much head-scratching, it turned out that the CPanel install of PHP 7.4 did not include the iconv PHP module. This caused this error to appear:

PHP Notice: iconv(): Wrong charset, conversion from `utf-8' to `utf-16be' is not allowed in /home/bluecoat/public_html/vendor/patchwork/utf8/src/Patchwork/PHP/Shim/Iconv.php on line 175:

Adding the iconv extension fixed the problem. Y'all might want to list iconv as a requirement in the documentation.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: ACP does not display on a fresh install

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

in most hosting setups that is loaded by default I believe.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

rddorsett wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:48 pm
PHP Notice: iconv(): Wrong charset, conversion from `utf-8' to `utf-16be' is not allowed
What language pack do you use? That's probably the cause for that error, there's no reason to use UTF-16. Otherwise, it might be that your PHP install is configured for UTF-16 or something like that. Actually no, a default install does the same thing because of that line: https://github.com/twigphp/Twig/blob/7c ... n.php#L281
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

If anybody's interested, that should fix it: https://github.com/twigphp/Twig/pull/3397

Edit: ...and it's merged. So basically this should become a non-issue as soon as phpBB's dependences are updated.
I wrote the thing that does BBCodes in 3.2+.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”