A newbi question, what's the purpose of bot accounts?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dotku

A newbi question, what's the purpose of bot accounts?

Post by dotku »

I just installed phpBB 3, and I found there are several bot accounts. I found there are few topics in the forum talked about the bots, but I don't know what's the purpose of adding those bots to the database users' table.

They don't have a password... which means they can't log in?! Then why do we need to build those accounts? Preventing crawl?!
EA117

Re: A newbi question, what's the purpose of bot accounts?

Post by EA117 »

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.3/ug/adminguide/system_spiders/

The bot accounts are automatically recognized by phpBB based on their agent strings, and do not need to "login" like normal users must.

These accounts are used to ensure bots have "clean" content to index (e.g. no SID in the URL like a normal guest would have, no dead-end page links presented for things the bot doesn't have permission to perform), and also to control what language or even style the bot will see during their session on your board.

If and when a bot crawls your site and there is no matching bot account (which does happen frequently), they're receiving the same language and style as any guest user, and have the same access permissions as any guest user. And you simply may wish that the bots have different / more / less than that, and would create a matching bot account in order to control this.
Dazbobaby
Name: Darron

Re: A newbi question, what's the purpose of bot accounts?

Post by Dazbobaby »

dotku wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:46 pm
I just installed phpBB 3, and I found there are several bot accounts. I found there are few topics in the forum talked about the bots, but I don't know what's the purpose of adding those bots to the database users' table.

They don't have a password... which means they can't log in?! Then why do we need to build those accounts? Preventing crawl?!
Bot's are the crawlers like google, yahoo, yandex etc, they are indexing your website.
Like EA117 said, it allows them to view public content only and not post. It helps the admin sort of track bot visits or real user visits.
DJ-Daz tutorials 🎧DJ-Daz.com🎧

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”