Failed upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Failed upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3

Post by warmweer »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 pm
I have backups of directories : Config ; Files ; Store ; Images ; Prosilver ; and Serenity.
Are the sites content changes stored in any of these?
Again: the forum content (= data) is stored in the database.
That database is accessed using the credentails in your config.php
If database backups were made using the phpBB backup feature (in the ACP) then these are saved in /store.
If database backups were made using other (external) utilities (phpMyAdmin, Adminer: the 2 most offered by webhosts) then these are stored in a location decided by the user at the time of making the backups.

Basically , with a database backup it is possible to restore a board providing
a) that the database backup is complete and not corrupt
b) you can recover the phpBB files of the same version
c) you can recover the extension files which were in use when making that backup (without the files it may still be possible but it's a very tedious job)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
P_I

Post by P_I »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 pm
MarkDHamill wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:24 am
If the PHP version is a possible reason, it's easy enough to write a little script to show PHP's configuration:

Code: Select all

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
I don't know how to do scrips in phpBB. I can see the current version on BlueHost. But the install has not accepted any of the versions we've tried, from 5.6 to 7.4
I've got boards running on Bluehost, so know my way around their setup reasonably well.

Another way of accomplishing the same thing is upload the phpBB3/install/phpinfo.php file from where you unzipped the phpBB-3.3.1.zip file. Upload it to the board root directory, i.e. the same directory that contains your config.php. You can then navigate to http://enformationism.info/phpBB3/phpinfo.php and it will show the PHP version that your board is trying to use.

You can also look for an error_log file in your board root directory that should show the most recent error in full detail.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Mike-on-Tour
Name: Michael

Post by Mike-on-Tour »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm
Mike-on-Tour wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:09 am
The facts seem to indicate something else, but perhaps he is following my advice and starts looking for that language string, corrects it and everything should be fine (hopefully).
Mike

This is a non-professional, non-commercial forum, and I'm an amateur. So I don't know how to look for a language string. Any suggestions? What file to look in? The Language dir has an index.html. But when opened in browser it is blank.
Download Notepad++ and install it on your local computer. Then download from the root directory of your board the directories language and ext to your local computer (both into the same new subdirectory). Run Notepad++ and open a new file (Ctrl - N), the start the search with Ctrl-F, select the tab "search in files" (or similar, I'm running the German version), input the search string and select the subdirectory with two downloaded directories and hit the "search all" button.

This will search all files you downloaded for this string and gives you all files including the lines where it was found.
Watz fo lunch?
If you like my extensions and maybe want to buy me lunch: Image
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

During upgrades it's a good idea to disable extensions. I don't know if you did this before the upgrade but if not it can be done via SQL and a utility like phpMyAdmin if you are in your board's database with SQL like this (change the phpbb_ if necessary based on what's in your config.php file):

update phpbb_ext set ext_active = 0;
I would also purge the cache manually, perhaps with the file explorer tool or also FTP. Delete all files in the board's /cache folder including the installer folder because the problem may be cached there.

While in there make sure the /cache, /files, /images/avatar/upload and /store folders have public write (777 permissions). Then try to run the /install script again.

Regarding Bluehost, I have lots of clients that use it and I find it touchy. Their shared servers strike me as overly optimized. That they are owned by Endurance International Group is also not a selling point. And I agree about going to second tier support. First tier are usually reading from scripts and have little idea how to solve more complex problems.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
david63

Post by david63 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm
During upgrades it's a good idea to disable extensions. I don't know if you did this before the upgrade but if not it can be done via SQL and a utility like phpMyAdmin if you are in your board's database with SQL like this (change the phpbb_ if necessary based on what's in your config.php file):

update phpbb_ext set ext_active = 0;
You should NEVER run an sql query to disable extensions as this can irretrievably break a board. To disable extensions follow this Knowledge Base - Disabling all extensions at once
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:49 pm
Regarding Bluehost, I have lots of clients that use it and I find it touchy. Their shared servers strike me as overly optimized. That they are owned by Endurance International Group is also not a selling point. And I agree about going to second tier support. First tier are usually reading from scripts and have little idea how to solve more complex problems.
Mark

After an upgrade of support, BlueHost still insists there is a glitch in the phpBB3.3 software. Could it be due to their emphasis on WordPress? Here's an emailed reply from Escalated Support. :

Thank you for contacting support, my name is James. I understand that you are having an issue with your account and you'd like to upgrade your server to use PHP BB3.

Reviewing your issue, I am afraid because your issue is not related to a WordPress site we are limited in our ability to assist you. I did find that in your error log the following error.

[15-Oct-2020 09:20:05 America/Boise] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Definition::getArgument() in /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/phpbb/di/extension/core.php:78
Stack trace:
#0 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/Compiler/MergeExtensionConfigurationPass.php(71): phpbb\di\extension\core->load(Array, Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Compiler\MergeExtensionConfigurationContainerBuilder))
#1 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/http-kernel/DependencyInjection/MergeExtensionConfigurationPass.php(39): Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\Compiler\MergeExtensionConfigurationPass->process(Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder))
#2 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vendor/symfony/dependency-injection/Compiler/Compiler.php(140): Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\DependencyInjection\MergeExtensionConfigurationPass->process(Object(Symfony\Component\DependencyInjection\ContainerBuilder))
#3 /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/vend in /home1/enformat/public_html/phpBB3/phpbb/di/extension/core.php on line 78

As you can see that from your error, I can see that your installation is attempting to call on an undefined function which is causing the 500 error. I believe if you attempt to reinstall BB3 you may be able to resolve this issue. However, as we are not experts in this particular installation you will need to reach out to an expert for further assistance. I did find this forum post from 2015 which may be helpful to you.

viewtopic.php?t=2334331

PS__I have done a completely new installation several times, and each time something has gone wrong. Several errors have referenced the "Symfony" component. I notice a reference to line 78, that I haven't seen before. Any idea what that is?

PPS__I'm not aware of any extensions, except I added << Prosilver-se >> at some time in the past. It's not currently in the phpBB3 folder though. I wouldn't recognize an extension if I saw it in the list of files & folders. I don't do coding, so your tips are lost on me. But, if I wanted to view the raw code, what kind of code viewer would I need? Maybe BlueHost has such a thing, but I haven't found it.
Last edited by jhearcht2 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

P_I wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:06 am

I've got boards running on Bluehost, so know my way around their setup reasonably well.
P_I

The phpBB3 support techs seem to have a low opinion of BlueHost, but I have several sites running there, and the only one with a problem is the phpBB3 Forum. It was OK until their recent upgrade to PHP7.4, and they warned that some software might not be compatible. Shortly after their upgrade, I noticed that my forum logo had disappeared. The image file was still there, so something was preventing it from displaying in the browser. Any idea why the new PHP protocol might mis-handle a PNG image?

PS__Under the Images dir, I just clicked on the Image file, and right clicked "View". The PNG description is there, but no image is displayed.
P_I

Post by P_I »

Please check your PMs.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Any extensions would be in the /ext folder. The only one that comes by default is Viglink in /ext/phpbb/viglink. If there are other extensions there please list them. The format is /ext/vendor/name so you have to dig two levels deep.

Some sort of TWIG error is occurring. TWIG is the template engine so it suggests a bad template somewhere, most likely in an extension, with an invalid TWIG syntax. It's unlikely to be in the prosilver or prosilver_se styles, particularly if you uploaded a 3.3 compliant version of prosilver_se.

Presumably you can't clear the cache because phpBB won't come up. It's important to do this manually before doing anything new in phpBB. The procedures are in my last post. The reason is because if there is a bad syntax in a template, these will be cached and read from the cache/production folder.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 pm

Again: the forum content (= data) is stored in the database.
BlueHost created a new database for my Forum. Does that mean the prior content is lost?

They only keep backups for a month, and that change was several weeks ago.
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

MarkDHamill wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:19 am
Any extensions would be in the /ext folder.
Thanks. The only extension is VigiLink. So I guess we can't blame the problem on an extension.
P_I

Post by P_I »

jhearcht2 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:05 pm
MarkDHamill wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:19 am
Any extensions would be in the /ext folder.
Thanks. The only extension is VigiLink. So I guess we can't blame the problem on an extension.
Based on some sleuthing I've done, it is possible that david63's Site Logo extension was installed at one point in time and you might want to check if it is still installed and has been updated to a version compatible with phpBB 3.3.

The Internet Wayback Machine shows what the board looked like on Sept 2019, see https://web.archive.org/web/20190907010 ... fo/phpBB3/. That certainly looks like a custom site logo rather than stock phpBB
jhearcht2

Post by jhearcht2 »

Final Report :

After nearly two months of attempts to upgrade my forum software from phpBB3.2 to phpBB3.2, I finally gave up. I got lots of tech support from both BlueHost and PHPBB, but the upgrade always encountered errors of various kinds. Part of the problem was the extension I used for the form Logo, but there were several other indicated syntax errors in the upgrade.

So, with the help of P_I , on this forum, I succeeded in restoring the old 3.2 software from a backup. The Forum is now functioning normally, but with a "deprecated" version of PHP7.1 language.

Maybe, when phpBB3.4 comes out, I'll try again. ;)
P_I

Post by P_I »

Now that you've got things back working and stable, you should give some thought to ongoing maintenance and support of your site to keep it running smoothly. Software updates/upgrades are a regularly occurring event. Updating and/or upgrading phpBB shouldn't be that big of a challenge if you haven't modified any of the core files.

It sounds like a combination of using older versions of phpBB (3.2.0) without updating, combined with unexpected Bluehost actions with regard to PHP versions and their lack of phpBB knowledge caused you grief.

At a minimum I would recommend you update to the most current version of phpBB 3.2, which is phpBB 3.2.10 Release - Please Update. That will give you the ability to move up to a supported version of PHP.

At the same time, make sure that you are using the most current version of any extensions, i.e. use the Re-check all versions function in ACP->Customise->Manage extensions. Read through [3.2][RC] Site Logo and ensure you are using the version that is compatible with your phpBB version.

The same applies to any additional styles you might be using.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”